Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Monday's storm - into Europe.

Coast

Posted

Warning page needs updating still showing too large an area effected. Speed of updating isn't the strongest point.

one day Pit you will actually give someone a compliment I am sure!

radio still says something is coming by the west midlands, pretty much after every song.. tho about all lve seen fly past my window is a few crisp packets and plastic bags.

which means very little as we have no idea where you are?

• Like 3

Posted

0824: 

BBC weather man Simon King says: "Strongest winds now across Kent, East London and Essex. 8am gust of 80mph just outside Braintree."

That confirmed that we had the same line of squally winds about half an hour before. Really cool to watch. Hope nobody is hurt.

Wish I could post my videos of the moment the squall hit. Will try to upload a vid later. Going out and about to see the damage now.

http://imgur.com/a/WiKIA

Pics don't quite do the intensity and strength any justice.

Edited by Tom D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

west midlands, hereford. everyone except the media seems to think it just passed on by.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

Power cut here (Stevenage) since 6am Posted Image

Worst if it seems to have passed already just moderate gusts now and the sun is out. Hope they can get the power back on before tonight!

unlucky. Its gone briefly twice here near Gunnels wood/symonds green area. you're further out tho if I remember right?

Posted

Power cut here (Stevenage) since 6am Posted Image

Worst if it seems to have passed already just moderate gusts now and the sun is out. Hope they can get the power back on before tonight!

That's bad luck Tim hope your power comes back on soon.

btw, thank you for saying "power cut" and not that stupid American saying 'power outage'

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

For parts of the SW this was a non-event. My weather station recorded a max gust of 36.9mph overnight. I double checked that with an online station in Taunton that recorded a max gust of 40.1mph. So really nothing whatsoever of interest.We were clearly near the eye in some form or other, and fascinatingly my station recorded an average wind speed of 0.3mph from 2200 to midnight last night with the wind direction from the east. This was the period of calm that some in Somerset were posting about. Amazing that the IOW could be receiving a battering when at the same time we were becalmed over here.

So I guess IMBY it was an "interesting" non-event showing that localised effects can vary hugely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Well I have to say , for my area , and any where west of Oxford , it's been a complete non event. 50mph gusts just doesn't do it , considering the hype by the met , and the bbc , and on hear , as usual there was last minute downgrades .

As I said before I would have preferred to be prepared, take down hanging baskets, secure fencing and then find out the event was less then thought rather then have no warning at all.

Also people moaning about train cancellations, what do they want the rail companies to do smash in to trees as they go ?

Going to be a lot of criticism now about 'over reacting' and the Met Office getting it wrong , by tomorrow we will be back to winter written of because of the wrong 'signal' up there.

Weather will do what it wants to do.

ps we had a power cut lasted 2 minutes

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 1

Posted

A taxi driver has narrowly escaped with his life after his car was crushed by a huge tree. A picture of the badly damaged cab was posted on Twitter by Road Police East Sussex.

Posted Image

It shows the tree splayed across the vehicle in the middle of the road near Eastbourne. Just minutes later Sussex Police tweeted that one of their own cars had been struck by a fallen tree. The Tweet read: "And it happens to us! Police car damaged by falling tree on B2104 Mayfield Flat. Blocked road and brought BT cable down."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-taxi-driver-narrowly-2648635#ixzz2j0NDkAnv%C2%A0

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Position of low at 0800z, still a tight gradient across E Anglia and far SE of England, so risk of gusts to 70-80mph here in the next few hours. Andrewsfield had a gust of 79mph at 0800z.

post-1052-0-48312300-1382950489_thumb.gi

Top 20 gusts so far today, though this doesn't show the gust of 99mph at the Needles on the IoW and over 100mph+ recorded in the English Channel:

Stations: Gusts Langdon Bay (117 m) 81 mph Isle of Portland (52 m) 81 mph Andrewsfield Aerodrome (87 m) 80 mph RAF Odiham (118 m) 78 mph Cairngorms (1245 m) 77 mph Thorney Island (3 m) 76 mph St Catherine's Pt (24 m) 75 mph Solent MRSC (13 m) 75 mph Yeovilton (20 m) 75 mph RAF Lyneham (147 m) 75 mph Bournemouth (10 m) 74 mph Guernsey Airport (101 m) 73 mph Wattisham (89 m) 71 mph Manston (50 m) 70 mph Manston South East (54 m) 70 mph London Heathrow Airport (25 m) 69 mph Northolt (39 m) 68 mph Kenley (170 m) 68 mph Shoreham Airport (2 m) 67 mph London City Airport (5 m) 66 mp

• Like 2

Posted

unlucky. Its gone briefly twice here near Gunnels wood/symonds green area. you're further out tho if I remember right?

. Hi, yes you are lucky! I'm on boarder with Knebworth. Apparently is out over some of St Albans as well Edited by Tim Bland

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Actually they haven't done badly the Met Office possibly out by say 100 miles at most which is hardly anything same for the GFS. The track of the low seems pretty spot on just that the winds weren't so far north. However in the modern day of internet information needs to be updated a bit more rapidly. It's all a case of media relations and twitter these days.

Now got a day coming of defending the Met at work for a storm that wasn't forecast for Sheffield

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

220,000 properties without power is the latest I have heard on the BBC.

Quite a lively night / morning for the southern folks.

B.

Edited by Beverley Lass

Posted

Hoorn Helipad off the Dutch coast reporting 59 gust 69 kts, however it is at a height of 41 m above the surface. That leads to around a 15% higher speed than the standard 10 m. The same goes for ship reports. Some have anemometers located tens of metres above the surface so excercise caution when analysing them.

Here's how anemometer-height affects reported wind speeds.

10 m Standard

15 m +5%

20 m +8%

25 m +11%

30 m +13%

35 m +14%

40 m +15%

60 m +21%

METAR EHQE 280855Z AUTO 21059G69KT 5000 FEW010/// SCT017/// BKN022/// 16/11 Q////=

Edited by Su Campu
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

I don't think peoples disappointment with not having the strong winds forecast is a reason to berate the Met Office. It was pretty horrendous down here on the south coast last night and from the word go they always said that Dorset/Hants would take a battering and we did.

• Like 2

Posted

220,000 properties without power is the latest I have heard on the BBC.

B.

Yep, including my old mum in Greatstone on the kent coast. 

Posted

Picking up something John Holmes said, a brilliant performance by the GFS which was the first to spot the downgrade. It has still been an event, just not on quite the dire scale that previous runs had forecast.

You may not like it, but the GFS remains the Gold Standard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Horrendous on islands roads, getting home was awful, so much debris everywhere

Posted
Posted

For parts of the SW this was a non-event. My weather station recorded a max gust of 36.9mph overnight. I double checked that with an online station in Taunton that recorded a max gust of 40.1mph. So really nothing whatsoever of interest.We were clearly near the eye in some form or other, and fascinatingly my station recorded an average wind speed of 0.3mph from 2200 to midnight last night with the wind direction from the east. This was the period of calm that some in Somerset were posting about. Amazing that the IOW could be receiving a battering when at the same time we were becalmed over here.So I guess IMBY it was an "interesting" non-event showing that localised effects can vary hugely.

Strange... When the squal line came through last night, I can guarantee that it was higher than 40mph gusts!

Posted

Hoping next weekends storm is better than this shower of poo. I realise that it's bad down south but whys the media and met office have yellow warnings for wind and rain when it like a typical autumn day out there

Posted

You may not like it, but the GFS remains the Gold Standard.

That of course is a matter of opinion and not one shared by me. I'm glad it was downgraded to F11 in the Channel and North Sea. The seamen will be eternally grateful. Not forgetting 100mph gusts on the Isle of White.