Cold?
IGNORED

Monday's storm - into Europe.

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Pretty much as we expected. A bit further south than the Met office said and a little bit further north than the GFS showed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Seems to have calmed down a bit here near Heathrow, was pretty scary an hour ago. Clouds have rolled back in and it's just started to rain. More to come?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

The Solihull storm shield was powerful enough to deflect the strong winds away from here (although it did always look like that the very windy stuff was going to be concentrated further South and around the South costs). The shield, however, wasn't strong enough to kill off the heavy rain that's occurred here. In a way, am kinda glad it didn't. Still raining now in fact.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

well that was much wilder than I thought it would be given all the last minute down grades. 

Maximum Gust here was at about 6am at 78 MPH | http://www.shorehambeachweather.co.uk/

It's only just now started to sub side. 

So for me and IMBY the Met Office had this absolutely nailed, 10/10 to them in my opinion. 

Now to decide whether or not it's worth joining the rat race and head up to Burgess Hill somehow via train and go to work.

• Like 1

Posted

Commuters are being warned of travel disruption on Monday as a storm bringing severe gale-force winds starts moving across England and Wales.

Train companies have cancelled early-morning services, and flights into London have been reduced. Gusts of up to 80mph (130km/h) are predicted as the weather hits the South West then moves north and eastwards and there are fears of flooding and damage. The prime minister has chaired talks about plans to protect the public. Meanwhile the search for a missing 14-year-old boy who was swept away by the sea in East Sussex has been stood down.

Robin Gisby, network operations managing director for Network Rail, said commuters should expect considerable disruption. "This will impact up to Birmingham and up to Nottingham and the Midlands. If we get through this in the morning, restore the service during the afternoon and are able to start up a good service on Tuesday morning, in the circumstances I'll be pretty pleased," he said.

Travel warnings include:

South West Trains have advised people not to travel on Monday with most services not running until at least 08:00 GMT to allow Network Rail to check lines. A reduced timetable will be in operation, with some trains limited to speeds of 50mph
East Coast will operate a revised emergency timetable on Monday, with trains stopping at Peterborough until 10:00 GMT, and limited to speeds of 50mph afterwards
First Great Western and Virgin West Coast main line are also running an amended service until 10:00 GMT and 09:00 GMT respectively
First Capital Connect and C2C said services are unlikely to begin until 09:00 GMT. Greater Anglia, Southern and Gatwick Express have said services on Monday will not run until it is declared safe to do so
London Overground will not run a service on Monday before 09:00 GMT, while First Great Western has warned of extended travelling times and Southeastern said it is likely to start running services late

Airports including Heathrow and Gatwick are warning of possible disruption to flights, advising passengers to check with airlines
Airlines operating in and out of Heathrow have been instructed to reduce their schedules by between 5% and 20% between the hours of 06:00 GMT and 22:30 GMT, leading to about 60 flight cancellations. It is not yet clear how many of those will be short-haul or long-haul flights
EasyJet has warned passengers there could be disruption to flights on Monday. It said no trains would run to Gatwick, Southend, Stansted or Luton airports before 09:00 GMT

Eurostar said it will not be running trains on Monday until 07:00 GMT, with early services from London and Brussels subject to delays. It expects to run a full service after 07:00 GMT and passengers are advised to arrive at the scheduled time Several ferry companies have also cancelled services, including some English Channel and Irish Sea crossings. Several bridges including the M48 Severn Crossing, the A249 Sheppey Crossing in Kent, and the Tamar Bridge which joins Cornwall and Devon are closed. There also are plans to shut the M4 Severn bridge and the Queen Elizabeth II bridge on the M25 on Monday morning, with traffic directed through the tunnel part of the crossing The Highways Agency is advising motorists to check the weather forecast and road conditions before they travel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24690552

Guest William Grimsley

It was not too windy back at home last night. High Wind Gust Today: 47 mph 03:57. It was not even the highest gust all time. It was a bit of a shame. But, I'm glad I didn't miss recording the highest gust all time, here.

Anyway, it's just breezy and very wet this morning, in Acton Bridge.

Edited by William Grimsley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer & Snowy Winter

Tomasz Schafernaker: Small area will have some damage from Chilterns, Home Counties, parts London to East Anglia next couple hours. Recently 64mph Northolt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

If anyone who's not satisfied with the storm take a look at this!!

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=euro&MODELL=gfs&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prec&HH=150&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

There is still more to come at the weekend.

Posted

dont suppose anythings coming up to herefordshire, touch wood its been much less windy than yesterday so far, considering what lve read so far lm thankful.

Non-existent here at Dinmore. Rain during the night but hard to imagine any more this time round.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I think it is more a south east event as yes the winds were very strong at times but where I am I didn't feel that bad and some trees have lost some twigs and leaves but nothing else as I far as I know...

Exeter, Devon

Posted

Heathrow NOAA had gusts of 45mph (7.20am) and they've cancelled flights.

Easy to overreact but there you go. Seems to be calming down now too. As forecast it wasn't supposed to last long. Apart from sky of course ;)

Posted

Quiet windy in Jaywick Essex.

Wind 55. Gusts 70

Luckily nothing serious damaged so far for me. Touch Wood

Feels a bit like putting home through a wind tunnel. It is timber framed so always a worry.

Edited by hollowbaron
  • Like 1

Posted

Quiet windy in Jaywick Essex.

Wind 55. Gusts 70

Luckily nothing serious damaged so far for me. Touch Wood

Feels a bit like putting home through a wind tunnel. It is timber framed so always a worry.

A friend has just posted on Facebook that a car had a lucky escape in Jaywick Lane when a 40ft tree just in front of it split in half and crashed onto the road.

• Like 1

Posted

Just a normal windy Autumn morning here in Bristol.

I think we escaped it really, because any strong winds or gusts that may have occured, in the early hours, failed to wake me, and i've seen no signs of any damage this morning on the way in to work.