Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 27/10/13 1730z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

It's a bit noisy here in Newbury. Some far old gusts.. Woke me up. :( am going to make a cuppa me thinks then ill check the local weather station.

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

well i dozed off  and then awoke to hear the wind gaily blowing away ............then thought it had died right down .Poked my head out of the front door and it is still roaring away quite nicely ............. well nicely enough.Hope everyone is safe ...........

Posted

Posted Image

Them isobars look tight towards the Bristol area as the low starts to exit to the north sea?

Posted

Still only moderately windy - gusts to 20.6 mph recently, but it seems to be easing.

1.8mm of rain so far, in the half hour after midnight.

Temperature steady at 16.6C.

Pressure STILL falling - down to 978.3 mb now.

Been falling ever since 5.30 pm yesterday.....

The worst must be over by now - time for bed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather

well the wind coming down the chimney indicates otherwise Scribbler Posted Image.......seems to have picked up again ..........in the last 10 mins or so.But no doubt will die back again .....

But I am going to try and get some shut eye now .

Edited by littlemissy

Posted

well i dozed off and then awoke to hear the wind gaily blowing away ............then thought it had died right down .Poked my head out of the front door and it is still roaring away quite nicely ............. well nicely enough.Hope everyone is safe ...........

Blowing very nicely outside now! This might be the sting jet if there is one, because it looks like the back of the system has curled round, therefore the winds will have too!Should have said, the wind has just woken me up! Edited by dec10snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Not too bad here on west mendip ,looks like wind could pick up around 5am as another surge comes in from west ,looks like low centre tracked much further south hense worst further south and south east ,keep safe Posted Image

Can't believe how quiet it still is here. I think the worst must have missed us.

Anyone know what pressure the center of the low is at? I'd guess it's at around 976, but I'm not sure.

Pressure currently at 976.3mb, and falling fairly quickly. Max gust so far is 35mph

Edited by Sainsbo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

I dozed off for a while

Woke up. the wind is blasting nicely against the window

Went to take a rubbish bag out

Still raining too

Posted

What the flipping **** is happening?!? Stayed up until a few hours ago and it was gusting nicely- really windy. Just woken now by noise of wind through gap in window that was so loud my cats ran under fled and I nearly jumped from my skin. Suddenly winds got so so so strong that in a few seconds my garden is wrecked! Ok, so I was to young to remember 87 storm, and I didn't live in SW during Burns day storm, but I have never seen anything like it. Shed roof coming off, massive heavy gas bbq lying in bits having been flung accross garden, and my wind anemometer just gone! Dashed out to grab bits of bbq and stop them flying about and I am still shaking. Winds still really blowing but not like they just did for a couple of mins. Wind seems.roughly north now too. Wow.

Was that a surge or something??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

The rain is more noticeable than the wind here.

Torrential & squally. Absolutely lashing it down.

Posted

What the flipping **** is happening?!? Stayed up until a few hours ago and it was gusting nicely- really windy. Just woken now by noise of wind through gap in window that was so loud my cats ran under fled and I nearly jumped from my skin. Suddenly winds got so so so strong that in a few seconds my garden is wrecked! Ok, so I was to young to remember 87 storm, and I didn't live in SW during Burns day storm, but I have never seen anything like it. Shed roof coming off, massive heavy gas bbq lying in bits having been flung accross garden, and my wind anemometer just gone! Dashed out to grab bits of bbq and stop them flying about and I am still shaking. Winds still really blowing but not like they just did for a couple of mins. Wind seems.roughly north now too. Wow.Was that a surge or something??

I'm probably wrong, but if it was how you've described, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of tornado touching down close to you!I haven't seen any of the latest warning for tornados, not sure if there are or not, but I would say going on limited info, certainally a viable answer!!

The rain is more noticeable than the wind here.Torrential & squally. Absolutely lashing it down.

Morning AWD, would you say that a sting jet is a possibility, seems to have just passed me, as the winds really kicked up!

Pressure still falling rapidly here suggesting the low is still fairly close. The low doesn't seem to have moved as quickly as suggested and is still rapidly intensifying, if it keeps on this way it doesn't sound good for the South East. Pressure here now down to 975.4mb. I would guess that the current central pressure of the low is somewhere in the region of 974-975mb.

Posted

Just had about 5-10 minutes of very heavy rain wind picked up and there was a massive bang somewhere outside but I couldn't see what it was. 

Posted

There was a massive pressure change too from 979 just after the crazy winds passed, up to 986 now! All in about 20 mins. (It was/is probably lower than that- my barometer has been reading a bit high)

Just had about 5-10 minutes of very heavy rain wind picked up and there was a massive bang somewhere outside but I couldn't see what it was. 

Probably my bbq. Gutted! Brand new and lying in bits. 

Posted

There was a massive pressure change too from 979 just after the crazy winds passed, up to 986 now! All in about 20 mins. (It was/is probably lower than that- my barometer has been reading a bit high)Probably my bbq. Gutted! Brand new and lying in bits.

Maybe it was just the squall that came through? Looking at this: http://www.xcweather.co.ukIf you look at yeovilton now, it's says up to 68mph, and that's around where that rain band is, and I must say, it was very gusty just then!

Posted

Maybe it was just the squall that came through? Looking at this: http://www.xcweather.co.ukIf you look at yeovilton now, it's says up to 68mph, and that's around where that rain band is, and I must say, it was very gusty just then!

Thanks for that link, that data is from just after the winds struck, but it says the winds were coming from the west- my bbq (r.i.p) got blown towards the west. Also my barometer's been reading higher than local readings, but at that point read much lower than the link suggests. I can only describe the wind strength here as anemometer destroying so can't compare that. I think that station is about 7 miles from me. What could make its readings so different?

Pressure is still rising- up to 987 by my readings. Up 8 in less than an hour and winds continue to gust but nothing spectacular.

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks for that link, that data is from just after the winds struck, but it says the winds were coming from the west- my bbq (r.i.p) got blown towards the west. Also my barometer's been reading higher than local readings, but at that point read much lower than the link suggests. I can only describe the wind strength here as anemometer destroying so can't compare that. I think that station is about 7 miles from me. What could make its readings so different?Pressure is still rising- up to 987 by my readings. Up 8 in less than an hour and winds continue to gust but nothing spectacular.

I have no idea unfortunately, but after that squall came through, I went onto there, and then there was the rather large arrow at yeovilton, and it would concur with the squall line, so just thought I would show you :)
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

So far at work there have been 5 trees come down on the line between Bath & Salisbury.

Apart from that, I'm getting wet but that's it! :)

• Like 1