Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 27/10/13 1730z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Ok, a new thread for what looks like a period of very lively weather overnight and into tomorrow.

Keep an eye on the met office website for any urgent developments as well as here on NetWeather Posted Image

Old thread here ----------------> http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78026-south-west-central-southern-england-regional-weather-discussion-031013-15z/page-37

Posted

AWD, on 27 Oct 2013 - 17:19, said:

Basically, and this is a broad brush amatuer reply as I'm not 100% sure either, the global models are designed more toward the longwave, synoptic pattern for the UK and northern hemisphere as a whole.

We then have high res short term modelling such as NAE, NMM, UKV, ARPEGE, EURO4, MOGREPS etc for more inter-regional detailed analysis, which should include local environmental and tropographic nuances the GM's might not pick up on.

Hence why there might be higher gusts quoted from professionals etc than what's displayed on public website/Apps etc. This is because your local tropographic nuances and other environmental conditions have been taken into account.

Perhaps a tweet/e mail to the Met Office might be an idea as I can't guarantee I'm right of course.

Okay, so basically it may be lower due to topography, geography etc? Thanks mate :)

*Reposted from previous thread*

Edited by dec10snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter- Cold, frost, snow. Summer- Warm and thundery.

And so it begins.....light rain here in South Somerset.

Posted

Hello everyone, new member here. I've been following the main thread here for a day or two, all very interesting stuff indeed. Just a FYI, I'm at Landrake in Cornwall ( 5 miles from Plymouth). Been moderately windy all day until about an hour ago when the winds eased but right now it's raining heavily. My little amateur weather station has recorded 3mm. in the last hour so far with a lot more to come looking at Rain Alarm and Carnkie weather. Will be watching this thread avidly through the night no doubt, awaiting to see what happens.

http://landrakemotoparc.com/weather/index.htm

Phil

Edited by UKmoto
  • Like 3

Posted

Yes, just started raining here in south Somerset, and for the first time in a couple of days the wind has dropped to barely nothing. Talk about the calm before the storm! It was blowing a hooley here earlier!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Hello everyone, new member here. I've been following the main thread here for a day or two, all very interesting stuff indeed. Just a FYI, I'm at Landrake in Cornwall ( 5 miles from Plymouth). Been moderately windy all day until about an hour ago when the winds eased but right now it's raining heavily. My little amateur weather station has recorded 3mm. in the last hour so far with a lot more to come looking at Rain Alarm and Carnkie weather. Will be watching this thread avidly through the night no doubt, awaiting to see what happens.

Phil

Welcome aboard Phil Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Yes, gone calm here too. 13.0c pressure 995mb - was 996 25mins ago

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well, in 12 hours time, it should all but be over for this region, pretty unbelievable given that my current pressure reading is only 997.3mb. It should according to this Fax chart be touching 972mb or thereabouts by 6am on Monday.

post-7183-0-77645700-1382896213_thumb.pn

The radar is looking pretty lively so it's clearly not just the wind we have to contend with.

post-7183-0-60299100-1382896378_thumb.jp

Time for a catch up on some postings before a nice soak and then maybe a beverage or two as the storm approaches.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Phil

May want to adjust your Barometer, Plymouth reading 1000mb at the moment.

Welcome to the partyPosted Image

Posted

Yes, I've noticed that all day. I'm not even sure it's working! doh!  I'll take a look.

Posted

Karlos now thinks he is pro because he got a weather station of his own ;)

I'm not jealous... Honest.... :p

• Like 1

Posted

Karlos now thinks he is pro because he got a weather station of his own Posted Image

I'm not jealous... Honest.... Posted Image

Haha, Thanks to all, should be correct now. Great to have some help and advice.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

LIVE UPDATES, Forecasts and Weather Warnings for Cornwall, Scilly Isles and the Channel Islands available here: http://www.cciweather.co.uk/#

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Ian's forecast just now showed 2 stages;

- Heavy rain soon until around midnightish. Some very bright colours on his graphics.

- Strong winds from 03:00 - 05:00 approx, with upto 80mph gusts in prone locations. Typically 60mph + widely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter- Cold, frost, snow. Summer- Warm and thundery.

So what kind of max gusts are to be expected through Lyme Bay? At work and unable to carry out much research, cheers.

Edited by Lewesdon

Posted

I have friends in Bristol and Southampton which are showing up on the rain radar as having rain but both are reporting nothing happening :O 

What is going on?  Is the rain radar not accurate?  Or could they be in little pockets that don't have any rain yet?

Posted

Heavy persistent rain in Teignmouth now.  Here is a link to the tide gauge which shows the actual vs predicted tide heights so you can get an idea of the effect of the storm surge.  Luckily the tides are neap at the moment. http://www.channelcoast.org/data_management/real_time_data/charts/?chart=94&tab=tides&disp_option=

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I have friends in Bristol and Southampton which are showing up on the rain radar as having rain but both are reporting nothing happening :O What is going on? Is the rain radar not accurate? Or could they be in little pockets that don't have any rain yet?

I'm in east Bristol and I can confirm we have light rain here.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Chucking it down in Plymouth now- but the wind has dropped (calm before the storm)

From Plymouth Citybus

lymouth Citybus Â· 7,262 like this.
16 minutes ago Â· 
  • [*]
Good evening - like you we have no idea what disruption we may face in the morning. We expect floods in all the usual places and other difficulties. We will post regular updates from around 0530 here and on twitter
This evening we are operating as normal but have replaced all the double deck buses with single deck buses just as a precaution.
Stay safe out there and check back in the morning for those important travel updates