Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible Storm This Weekend Discussion

Skullzrulerz

Posted

GFS has a strong system approaching the west but again just losing its 'threatening level of intensity as it hits the Irish west coast.

Posted Image

Edited by Matty M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windstorm, Thunderstorm, Heavy Squally, Blustery Winds

I'm not forecast with the Daily Express, either. I'm only just answer the question about the official named that's all.

Can somebody stop this person? Do you forecast for the Daily Express?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

In regard to this weekend...â€

Ian Fergusson- @fergieweather Forecast confidence for weekend is low, other than a clearly unsettled/periodically wet & windy period. A wide spread in model solutions...!

Posted

Just saw this on the BBC weather twitter feed......

Currently low confidence in the detail, but the weekend weather looks very unsettled - heavy rain and strong winds in the forecast. Nina R

Edited by topbanana

Posted

I'm not forecast with the Daily Express, either. I'm only just answer the question about the official named that's all. 

lets call it "harry kane" then.....

i'll get me coat.....

Edited by bobbydog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

The next system IMO to be concerned about is into next week from say 3/4th onwards and more central and I'm reckoning some 'watch' warnings to develop as we get to the weekend.

I remember the Burns Day storm, was in Croydon and the 'funnel effect' was quite potent. 

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

The Burns Day storm will be remembered more in the southwest because it hit us hard in the southwest, more so than the great storm of 1987 which affected the southeast more, it's all about what part you lived.The gale the other day was unusual for the south but for those of us in the southwest of wasn't really that bad and the media were very OTT in reporting, it could have been worse had it strengthened sooner which was what was originally forecast but instead strengthened as it left Southern England

Indeed. 1990 was quite windy in the Jan-Mar period here with some very strong gusts. For example, in Leeds:

17 Jan - 74.9 mph

25 Jan - 94.3 mph

14 Feb - 72.3 mph

25 Feb - 66.8 mph

26 Feb - 97.9 mph

27 Feb - 72.3 mph

9 Mar - 73.5 mph

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Just maybe the official named "Harry Kane" what do you mean Harry Kane about it then? Can anyone need to put the official named of the storms every week as sometimes then?

lets call it "harry kane" then.....i'll get me coat.....

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

As it stands, it looks like the weekend's low may bring winds similar to those experienced last Sunday, which was very windy though not quite as windy as yesterday. Uncertainties over exact shape, track and depth of the low - though it does look like peak intensity may occur to the west over the Atlantic before landfall, though Ireland may get a good battering from the low before it fills a little.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 2

Posted

Indeed. 1990 was quite windy in the Jan-Mar period here with some very strong gusts. For example, in Leeds:

17 Jan - 74.9 mph

25 Jan - 94.3 mph

14 Feb - 72.3 mph

25 Feb - 66.8 mph

26 Feb - 97.9 mph

27 Feb - 72.3 mph

9 Mar - 73.5 mph

Huge polar vortex around that time helping drive those storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

As it stands, it looks like the weekend's low may bring winds similar to those experienced last Sunday, which was very windy though not quite as windy as yesterday. Uncertainties over exact shape, track and depth of the low - though it does look like peak intensity may occur to the west over the Atlantic before landfall.

I hope your right, cause I don't want no more 80+ gusts anywhere near me. Admiralty and Prince of wales piers both shut due to wind and wave damage. Plus all the cars in the cruse terminal car park. Some washed in to the sea other smashed in to tangled balls of metal by the waves. I wouldn't want to be one of the people getting back from the latest cruse.

Posted

I dont think this storm will be as bad, although if theres the slightest chance of it then it will be forecast for a million times larger hurricane force or all that over crap. They dont want a repeat of 87. Although it would be quite interesting if they didnt forecast it and then it happened, one week complaints about warnings for something that didnt hit them, then a week later complaining that there wasnt any warning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Yes, I agree with Nick F, this is a non story AS OF YET, in terms of the general public, of course nothing wrong with discussing possibility of upgrades and downgrades on a weather enthusiasts forum but the only warnings I would put out if I was a professional forecaster right now might be to tell people not to go walking in the peak district and places like that, I don't see this causing widespread cancellations and any death or injury.

Posted

Can somebody stop this person? Do you forecast for the Daily Express?

I am guessing that English is not ST's first language but even so, their posts are absolutely baffling, and often wildly misleading. Strange.

Edited by Bluebreezer54
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

A number of severe Ensembles for parts on the late GEFS 18z output.

Like:

Posted Image

That would be a story though, you would get battered!

Posted

A number of severe Ensembles for parts on the late GEFS 18z output.

Like:

Posted Image

Looks fun :p

Posted

just to clarify a few things regarding this north/south divide thing about the st jude storm and for those further north worrying about getting something similar.we had many posts about the storm saying "scotland gets worse storms all the time" "its a media-hyped non-event" etc, etc.it is true (in part)- most atlantic storms take a more northerly track, hitting the north west and scotland much more frequently than the south. they are often more severe.that is where the point lies- the met office warnings reflect the disruption that any storm is likely to cause, not necessarily the severity of the storm itself. those areas more frequently hit have 'adapted' over the years to nature. as matty pointed out, trees are a major factor in any disruption. think about it, in areas of frequent storms, any weaker trees will not survive therefore there will be less of them to fall next time round. and so it goes on. only the strong survive.down in the south however, there are a larger number of weaker trees which are rarely subjected to such storms, therefore when one hits, it is much more likely to bring more of them down. combine this with a very concentrated population and infrastructure, you have potential chaos.of course there are heavily populated areas in the north which do suffer damage in such storms but many of these places have been built up over hundreds of years taking into account, prevailing weather conditions.and before any northerners jump on me, i'm originally from the windswept county of northumberland and have myself experienced many a stronger storm than this one....

Amen to that!
  • Like 1

Posted

That is look like a very deep low pressure area (960mb) with a very cold air moisture, either. Just maybe a snow on the way or not.

Looks fun :p

Posted

That is look like a very deep low pressure area (960mb) with a very cold air moisture, either. Just maybe a snow on the way or not. 

For god sake dont mention snow. The Bl**dy Express tomorrow 'UK Excpects 10ft snow just DAYS after storm brings the Human race to the brink of EXTINCTION'

Cant you just imagine it

• Like 4

Posted

Just unrealistic but I don't believe it that Daily Express is just winding you up with loads of rubbish haha

For god sake dont mention snow. The Bl**dy Express tomorrow 'UK Excpects 10ft snow just DAYS after storm brings the Human race to the brink of EXTINCTION'Cant you just imagine it

Posted

Sorry I don't understand, are you saying that its unrealistic for the Express to say that, or that its unrealistic that its going to happen

Just unrealistic but I don't believe it that Daily Express is just winding you up with loads of rubbish haha 

Edited by ihatecoldweather

Posted

Headline from Express the other day 'Megastorm' 100mph wind to bring 48 hours of utter hell'