Cold?
IGNORED

Possible Storm This Weekend Discussion

Skullzrulerz

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Not really getting going here gusts mostly in the 30's.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

it is getting like a hurricane outside here now with gales and heavy driving rain.

Posted

The Welsh highways agency were slow to introduce s.peed restrictions despite the seriously dangerous conditions and it was only after this happened that the speed limit was dropped to 50/40/30MPH along the M4. 

Surely though drivers shouldn't need to wait for an official announcement before reducing their speed in adverse conditions ? Common sense should tell them that........ah, I see a problem there

• Like 4

Posted

Its getting quite windy here, sitting in my boat in marina.. Wind is picking up, reminds me of last weekend.. Getting there. Not far off. Not sure if will get any worse tho..

Posted

Out of 166 reporting weather stations only 18 have had gusts of 60mph or more. Don't really get all the stressing about the warnings its hardly widespread severe weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Getting up again  48 mph highest gust of Autumn

Posted

Surely though drivers shouldn't need to wait for an official announcement before reducing their speed in adverse conditions ? Common sense should tell them that........ah, I see a problem there

Exactly what I was thinking.  I drive according to the conditions and if that means driving slowly to be safe, then so be it.  I don't need a sign to tell me how to drive in bad weather but yeah... I see the problem too  Posted Image   Posted ImagePosted Image   

Rather like the dumb clucks who are setting off fireworks in high winds Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Just 5mph winds at home, 10 minute gust is 10mph lol...

even though Exeter Airport has a 23mph average and Portland is gusting 56mph. My anemometer and house is open to the WSW but for some reason we often don't do very well with winds from that direction.

However up here in north Surrey there were some quite noisy gusts when I was out earlier. 30-40mph easily though nothing too out of the ordinary.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Add say another 20-30mph then you get this...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ba5_1383164405

(From N Germany last week)

Perfect day to fly a kite!! Posted Image

• Like 1

Is getting pretty gusty here in North Norfolk! Sunday/Monday's storm had us smack bang in the middle of the amber warning for the east, but never even heard any wind here as is really sheltered from SW/W'rly winds with so many houses/trees around us, so can't have gusted much above 40-45MPH. Is really howling here now though (same direction) and lights are starting to flicker! Strongest storm of the year so far here, including the 10/11ish (I forget) Oct one which had MO warning and evacuations along some parts of the coast due to high tides and 60MPH gusts. Had no idea this one was even coming and even XCWeather only has gusts peaking at 49MPH at midnight, but is far stronger than that already, no weather station to confirm, just previous experience.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Makes you wonder how gusts of almost 90mph don't justify an amber warning

Storm-force winds brings damage and 10,000 homes lose power

Storm-force winds gusting up to 80mph have brought down trees and power lines and caused difficult driving conditions in Wales. Around 10,000 homes across south and west Wales are without power. The M4 was closed both ways for two hours between Margam and Pyle after a caravan overturned. Natural Resources Wales (NRW) said only one flood warning remained in place in coastal areas of Wales, after concerns over high tides. The motorway closure happened after the incident in the contraflow eastbound, causing long delays. A tree fell onto a car in Park Street in Bridgend but the driver was reportedly unharmed if shaken. A roof was also blown off a garage onto the house next door at Beddau near Pontypridd, according to South Wales Fire and Rescue.

The roof canopy at the main entrance to the Princess of Wales Hospital in Bridgend was also damaged with one person treated for a minor injury. The entrance has since reopened. The highest wind speed was 89mph recorded at Mumbles head near Swansea at 16:00 GMT. The old Severn M48 bridge was closed with speed restrictions on the second Severn crossing and Briton Ferry bridges on the M4 and the Britannia bridge over to Anglesey. In Pembrokeshire, the Cleddau Bridge restrictions were lifted at 19:00 GMT.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-24785318

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Wales: High Winds Leave 4,000 Without Power

Some 4,000 people have been left without power due to high winds in south and west Britain. Storm force winds are understood to have brought down trees and power lines across parts of South Wales. Gusts of 60 to 70mph hit Wales, while the heaviest rain fell in northern England, Scotland and North Wales. The 4,000 homes without power were all in South Wales with a Western Power Distribution spokesman saying the weather was to blame. Police closed the M4 motorway at junction 37 for two hours from 4pm after a caravan overturned in a contraflow system, causing long delays. The A470 was also closed for two hours from 5pm at Upper Boat, near Pontypridd. Traffic Wales said that the motorway is still affected by adverse weather conditions, across the Second Severn Crossing and between junctions 30 to 49. High winds were reported on all the bridges around the Bristol Channel, making driving conditions difficult.

South Wales Police Force Incident Manager Emma Tyler said at one point in the afternoon the force were receiving about 20 reports an hour of trees coming down on roads and pavements. She said: "The wind started picking up about 2pm and was gusting between 4pm and 5pm. I lost count of how many calls we had. "We've worked closely with the Highways Agency and at the moment there are no roads closed. "We had a lot of trees down but there were no reports of injuries and no fatalities. It was just disruption."

http://news.sky.com/story/1163081/wales-high-winds-leave-4000-without-power

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Getting windier, but nothing significant yet. Winds look set to peak around midnight-3am according to the Met, but overall, I think it will end up being a substandard autumnal breeze. Until we start exceeding 60mph, I'm generally not interested - and 60mph is usually the bare minimum in a typical year. Such a poor year for gales.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted

Getting windier, but nothing significant yet. Winds look set to peak around midnight-3am according to the Met, but overall, I think it will end up being a substandard autumnal breeze. Until we start exceeding 60mph, I'm generally not interested - and 60mph is usually the bare minimum in a typical year. Such a poor year for gales.

I think the Atlantic Hurricane season is something to do about it. It is so quiet this year. If the hurricane season became more active this year than st jude would've become more powerful and destructive.

We lucky the hurricane season is so quiet.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

starting to get a larl bit windy now

Add say another 20-30mph then you get this...http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ba5_1383164405(From N Germany last week)

id love to witness something like that, and yes, i am nuts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Winds still going strong here few bigger gusts blowing more westerly now all firework displays did get cancelled today few went off earlier but think was to dangerous