Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible Storm This Weekend Discussion

Skullzrulerz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

This is already turning out worse than St Jude and hasn't even begun for me yet! Wind is really beginning to put the trees to the test and can feel the gusts starting to shake the house.

weve had a few stronger gusts here was pretty nasty for while when squall arrived aswell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It is not  personal attack against southern members though - it is clear that looking at some of the wind speeds recorded and the damage reports coming in there should be more than a measly yellow warning out.  How about if it was in your neck of the woods and a yellow warning was out but you ended up with severe gale forced winds and a tree through your house?  Would you think the warnings were ample?  All I am saying is that what is good for one area of the country should be good enough for everywhere else despite this "well x millions live in the south east"  I am not trying to cause an argument mate just stating a fact.  

Seriously it is a fair comment to make man, this is not meant to be an attack on southerners!

I was under the amber warning during Monday's storm, i was also out at an exposed point during 80mph gusts of wind, the damage was evident on the drive back. There was also a 78mph gust of wind at Hurn airport, i haven't seen that registered for many many years, it is nothing like that currently. 

There have been a few occasions of 45mph gusts of wind bring trees down around this area during October, no warnings were issued for that, if you have a problem with the way the MetOffice issue their warnings, you should really take it up with them rather than venting off in here about a n-v-s bias, because it generates angry posts, either agreeing or replies disagreeing, and they will get removed, as they did during the build up to last weekends severe weather. :)

• Like 2

Posted

Not that windy at home, average 13mph with the 10 minute gust being 25mph lol. Max gust today is 32mph. My anemometer is quite open to the SW but we don't really get strong winds from that direction due probably to some sheltering by Dartmoor, and local topography downstream with my stating being in a N-S oriented valley.

This is quite impressive, though not quite as strong as St Judes still imo. That had 99mph gusts on a high up exposed coastal headland, where as this has produced 84mph on a similar headland. What I do find a bit odd is people north of the area affected storm on Monday and where it was forecast, using that to say this event is stronger than Mondays low.

If I was the MetO I may consider a amber warning, not sure, though if there are insufficient warnings now it is due to the models under predicting the winds, not them deciding to ignore the effected areas..

Edited by Stormmad26
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Be great to get observations coming in like we did last week :) it's pretty benign here at the moment!

Be also nice to nip the 'my storm was worse than your storm' shenanigans in the bud too :)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I was under the amber warning during Monday's storm, i was also out at an exposed point during 80mph gusts of wind, the damage was evident on the drive back. There was also a 78mph gust of wind at Hurn airport, i haven't seen that registered for many many years, it is nothing like that currently. 

There have been a few occasions of 45mph gusts of wind bring trees down around this area during October, no warnings were issued for that, if you have a problem with the way the MetOffice issue their warnings, you should really take it up with them rather than venting off in here about a n-v-s bias, because it generates angry posts, either agreeing or replies disagreeing, and they will get removed, as they did during the build up to last weekends severe weather. Posted Image

And I take that on board and will say you needed an amber warning - BUT the warning areas or criteria are not reflective of what is happening on the ground today.  This isn't about well your area fared worse that day etc etc it is about the here and now and the fact is Mapantz that the warnings don't appear at face value to be reflecting what is happening - and I stand by what I said - if this was the SE /South that was now experiencing trees falling etc today it would be a different picture altogether?

Edited by P-M
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

getting scary now on the coast in Rhoose ...house is shaking and the trees are bending sideways ...still showing 990 on the pressure and falling fast

Posted

If you are referring to my post use the ignore feature - I am stating clear facts so unless you can give some facts to prove otherwise then best use that feature.  This is a weather forum where we are discussing a real and serious matter of erm....weather warnings in relation to this storm?

these is the warning words

The public should be aware of the risk of localised disruption, particularly to travel.

Is that not sufficient?

So far from trawling this forum, other web areas, actuals etc it seems to cover what is happening at the moment does it not?

not widespread, localised?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

weve had a few stronger gusts here was pretty nasty for while when squall arrived aswell

Yeah, that packed quite a punch when it arrived about an hour or so ago. Since then, the wind has been getting gradually stronger.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Be great to get observations coming in like we did last week Posted Image it's pretty benign here at the moment!

Be also nice to nip the 'my storm was worse than your storm' shenanigans in the bud too Posted Image

Regular 30mph+ gusts here with a 2min avg of 16mph. The river Frome at Wareham quay looks a beach, extremely choppy!

Posted

Very, very blustery here on the north coast. Much windier than Sun/Mon storm. Little rain but I think that may be later this evening for us. Read about a flood warning for the north Cornish coast - not surprised - the sea is really churning out there. Lost power for a short time this afternoon - wouldn't be surprised if it goes again.

Posted

It is not  personal attack against southern members though - it is clear that looking at some of the wind speeds recorded and the damage reports coming in there should be more than a measly yellow warning out.  How about if it was in your neck of the woods and a yellow warning was out but you ended up with severe gale forced winds and a tree through your house?  Would you think the warnings were ample?  All I am saying is that what is good for one area of the country should be good enough for everywhere else despite this "well x millions live in the south east"  I am not trying to cause an argument mate just stating a fact.  

Seriously it is a fair comment to make man, this is not meant to be an attack on southerners!

I am sure it is not such

However in my view you are over egging the meteorological content and as in my other post the yellow is sufficient for the damage currently being caused. If it becomes widespread or the intensity of the wind is considered sufficient then it will be upgraded.

Posted

The public should be aware of the risk of localised disruption, particularly to travel.

Is that not sufficient?

So far from trawling this forum, other web areas, actuals etc it seems to cover what is happening at the moment does it not?

John ..there is widespread disruption across the whole of South Wales, trees down, roofs off and plenty of sheds and greenhouses destroyed ..I don't call the whole of South Wales localised, there should have been more warning ..!

• Like 2

Posted

Is that not sufficient?

Not in my eyes - there is now a real risk that full grown trees will uproot and therefore the warning criteria should be raised - were not most if not all the deaths in the south caused by falling trees?  If this is the case upgrade the warning to amber to give people a better idea that conditions are deteriorating.  I know it's because the ground is saturated etc - its going slightly off topic here - all I was trying to say was that an amber warning was spread across a huge area last week - did eveywhere in that area need an amber warning?  Yes because of the potential. 

Anyway I won't say anymore was just trying to make a point that's all John.

• Like 1

Posted

I am sure it is not such

However in my view you are over egging the meteorological content and as in my other post the yellow is sufficient for the damage currently being caused. If it becomes widespread or the intensity of the wind is considered sufficient then it will be upgraded.

No I am not - most of the damage in the south was from falling trees so lets say that their amber warning was not sufficient then shall we?  Sorry if I am coming across flippant here but that comment doesn't reflect what I am saying. I was making a basic point that's all.

• Like 1

Posted

And I take that on board and will say you needed an amber warning - BUT the warning areas or criteria are not reflective of what is happening on the ground today.  This isn't about well your area fared worse that day etc etc it is about the here and now and the fact is Mapantz that the warnings don't appear at face value to be reflecting what is happening - and I stand by what I said - if this was the SE /South that was now experiencing trees falling etc today it would be a different picture altogether?

this is getting silly-you are accusing the Met O wrongly of bias which is daft. Why would an organisation want to show bias to any particular area? It is I should point out a highly professional set up in spite of all the digs given it at times. Best you read 'carefully' the warning criteria, colours, explanations etc.

• Like 1

Posted

getting really scary now, never heard the house shake and rumble like this !!

this is getting silly-you are accusing the Met O wrongly of bias which is daft. Why would an organisation want to show bias to any particular area? It is I should point out a highly professional set up in spite of all the digs given it at times. Best you read 'carefully' the warning criteria, colours, explanations etc.

John don't do it.................. your being sucked in! Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

John don't do it.................. your being sucked in! Posted Image

yes you are probably right-best leave the children to their toy throwing

• Like 1

Posted

That's for another thread lol and yes I can give a few examples of where I personally have been caught out - for now though let's see how this pans out  Posted Image

Posted

getting really scary now, never heard the house shake and rumble like this !!

I'm in Pencoed and getting rather nervous as we've got some big trees around us, is this set to worsen?