Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 3

Coast

Posted

Pretty windy here, was woken up by a gust blowing over the house

Yeovilton reporting sustained 48mph gusting 68mph at 4:50, and as posted above the Met Office show they had a gust of 75mph reported in the 5am observation!

That's notable for inland.

Gust of 81mph on Portland, looking at xcweather.

Edited by Stormmad26
  • Like 1

Posted

Dawn just breaking on Bognor webcam, I can't help wondering how many beach huts left standing in Felpham and West Bognor.

Pretty windy here, was woken up by a gust blowing over the house

Shouldn't laugh but that was funny. our neighbour had their greenhouse blown over but a full house?

Keep safe and don't go out until the wind has dropped please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

here by villa park its stil raining and now the winds got up too. Over an hour ago it was quite carm. As i type it's getting gusty.

Posted

Probably at its strongest in last hour. A fierce storm, though once again nothing I haven't seen many times before on the coast, though the outcome will be worse than usual because of the trees being in full leaf.

Posted

Dawn just breaking on Bognor webcam, I can't help wondering how many beach huts left standing in Felpham and West Bognor.

Shouldn't laugh but that was funny. our neighbour had their greenhouse blown over but a full house?

Keep safe and don't go out until the wind has dropped please.

Oops! haha Posted Image

Meant the sound of it blowing around/over the roof, It hasn't reached that stage yet and hopefully wont!

haven't heard much unusual for the last 10 mins or so actually, I think the strongest may still be to come looking at what Yeovilton got at 5am.

Posted

Probably at its strongest in last hour. A fierce storm, though once again nothing I haven't seen many times before on the coast, though the outcome will be worse than usual because of the trees being in full leaf.

It is certainly worse than I have seen in Bognor apart from '87 but then I am really close to the sea, Drayton is quite a bit inland although you must catch the wind as it is on a bit of a hill if I remember correctly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

I can hear the wind blowing outside loudly and pine needles banging into the window, quite scary!

Lots of wind here too - I just got woken up by a gust! The wind is constantly howling!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

here by villa park the power just went out for about 30seconds setting off all the alarms.

Posted

Model estimates from 36-48h ago were more accurate than later estimates -- the low appears to be developing a very dangerous squall line feature now (0600h) west of an Oxford-Bournemouth line and likely to be moving through London and the southeast around 0800h. Winds increase from SW 50 mph to W 70-80 mph as this squall line passes and there could even be stronger gusts to come if this develops thunderstorms.

Meanwhile, SW winds in the Dover marine area of the Channel are currently gusting to 90 mph or more (150 km/hr).

If you're still to the east of the squall line check the radar and get ready -- walking or driving is strongly discouraged as trees and other debris very likely to be flying about. I would expect that winds might continue to gust for 3-4 hours beyond time of passage of this front but the most violent gusts will be close to its passage.

• Like 5

Posted

Oops! haha Posted Image

Meant the sound of it blowing around/over the roof, It hasn't reached that stage yet and hopefully wont!

haven't heard much unusual for the last 10 mins or so actually, I think the strongest may still be to come looking at what Yeovilton got at 5am.

Yes, if that was the front passing over rather than a localised event then there is likely worse to come for many. We weren't forecast to get that here. It has really died down now. Still windy with gusts but not howling. Pressure up 10mb in an hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

We are up to nearly 50mph gusts now in last ten mins.. A have friends saying they are walking their dog in a mo... Told em No!!

Posted

Model estimates from 36-48h ago were more accurate than later estimates -- the low appears to be developing a very dangerous squall line feature now (0600h) west of an Oxford-Bournemouth line and likely to be moving through London and the southeast around 0800h. Winds increase from SW 50 mph to W 70-80 mph as this squall line passes and there could even be stronger gusts to come if this develops thunderstorms.

Meanwhile, SW winds in the Dover marine area of the Channel are currently gusting to 90 mph or more (150 km/hr).

If you're still to the east of the squall line check the radar and get ready -- walking or driving is strongly discouraged as trees and other debris very likely to be flying about. I would expect that winds might continue to gust for 3-4 hours beyond time of passage of this front but the most violent gusts will be close to its passage.

I just saw a flash whilst standing outside taking in the gusts, although that wouldn't be associated with the possible thunderstorms that may occur with the soon to come squalls!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

At the moment the squall is moving NE and the tail end is currently over oxford, are you sure its down to Bournemouth?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!

When this squall line passed over it was quite impressive albeit short lived!

Posted

Having had it pass over me I couldn't agree more. It is nothing like the winds that come before or after. Secure everything now, even things you think are too heavy to be moved by the wind. My bbq (r.i.p) weighs 87kg and was picked up and tossed across the garden. The winds were unbelievable, the worst I've ever seen. Quite frightening. I just can't imagine what is going to happen if that continues across the country into rush hour. Be careful people.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

I've been caught out on foot in a squall line before.. it's bloody terrible, hope everyone stays safe.

Posted

Having had it pass over me I couldn't agree more. It is nothing like the winds that come before or after. Secure everything now, even things you think are too heavy to be moved by the wind. My bbq (r.i.p) weighs 87kg and was picked up and tossed across the garden. The winds were unbelievable, the worst I've ever seen. Quite frightening. I just can't imagine what is going to happen if that continues across the country into rush hour. Be careful people.

Carol on BBC just said 80mph gusts will occur widely across England over the next couple of hours, not good in rush hour as you say Posted Image