Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 3

Coast

Posted

50mph is still pretty good. Wanted the 78mph met office said a couple of days ago though Posted Image

Although the BBC etc are f@#king useless though. Tell us to keep up to date with latest forecast etc but they've showed the same forecast nearly 10 times. Maybe if they actually made some predictions, anyway if its a few hours before we don't mind if they get it wrong

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Pretty much dead quiet here in south London. Can't really hear a thing. Was reasonably loud but nothing special then nothing since 15 minutes ago.

Yup... seems to have died down a lot here as well right now, but expecting it to build again very soon.

Posted

Although the BBC etc are f@#king useless though. Tell us to keep up to date with latest forecast etc but they've showed the same forecast nearly 10 times. Maybe if they actually made some predictions, anyway if its a few hours before we don't mind if they get it wrong

They just had Nick Miller on BBC News 24 giving an update, He said the winds are picking up inland now and as the low passes through the winds will veer to a NW and pick up intensity, with gusts expected to exceed 60-70 mph, but soon over as the the low is expecting to have passed through by noon.

(EDIT: Winds are really picking up again after the brief lull)

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted

Pretty much dead quiet here in south London. Can't really hear a thing. Was reasonably loud but nothing special then nothing since 15 minutes ago.

You are joking right ??

Posted

Suspect the fun starts in a few hours as that low moves out over the North Sea.

http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?map=eur_full&date=2013102804&size=large〈=en&area=eur

• Like 1

Posted

They just had Nick Miller on BBC News 24 giving an update, He said the winds are picking up inland now and as the low passes through the winds will veer to a NW and pick up intensity, with gusts expected to exceed 60-70 mph, but soon over as the the low is expecting to have passed through by noon.

Indeed, I saw him too. I am expecting 50mph gusts for London and the SE, I am veering away from the 70mph's to be honest though. I think it will be East Anglia that get them, but very briefly. 

You are joking right ??

Not here nope and not that sheltered either. The wind speed at London city airport has topped out at 22mph when I checked. It was louder and stronger one night last week. Still hours to go yet though I believe.

Posted

Just starting picking up again. Just had a huge gust. Rain really picked up again. Is this the start of it for us

• Like 1

Posted

Indeed, I saw him too. I am expecting 50mph gusts for London and the SE, I am veering away from the 70mph's to be honest though. I think it will be East Anglia that get them, but very briefly. 

I have to agree, but even 50mph gust can do a lot of damage, especially after so much rain.(Please take care all)

• Like 1

Posted

The ground outside is so soft, there are still many leafs on the trees. I think this storm still has to potential to do some damage, although might not be the 'Apocalyptic' storm that the media was hyping up. We will find out in the next few hours how strong and how disruptive the storm is for the south and south east  

Posted

It certainly seems to be 'stuck on a loop'! Whips up a frenzy with rain thrown in for 10 to 15mins, then all goes fairly quiet for 5 to 10 mins then whips up again, then calms..rinse & repeat. 

• Like 2

Posted

The ground outside is so soft, there are still many leafs on the trees. I think this storm still has to potential to do some damage, although might not be the 'Apocalyptic' storm that the media was hyping up. We will find out in the next few hours how strong and how disruptive the storm is for the south and south east  

Well I think that we should hope the media are overhyping this one!! Posted Image

(Edit: Getting moody out there again)

Edited by Sno' problem
  • Like 1

Posted

It certainly seems to be 'stuck on a loop'! Whips up a frenzy with rain thrown in for 10 to 15mins, then all goes fairly quiet for 5 to 10 mins then whips up again, then calms..rinse & repeat. 

I know, goes all mad and then calms down. I went outside 10 minutes ago and just turned straight back inside as the wind and rain was to much. Just stuck my head out of the window and its calm. 

Although is blowing a bit more now I've said that -_-

Posted

It's playing with our sensibilities!

Just had a nose in the south west thread and a few people saying they havn't had many gusts of note and can't see much about many trees falling. That could mean not much will hit the SE or the damage will be limited?

Posted

Just had a nose in the south west thread and a few people saying they havn't had many gusts of note and can't see much about many trees falling. That could mean not much will hit the SE or the damage will be limited?

Or it will intensify just as it gets to us. Who knows

Posted
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL

appears to be picking up a bit again, the rain has been relentless, got to be at least 6hrs non stop raining.

I'm on the the south west coast of IOW, it's easily the  strongest now that it has been all night.  Quite impressive.

• Like 1

Posted

Although its this not in its final stages over there is it. They're is so much uncerntanty about timing etc and people getting confused with stuff nothing related to it. Some people saying last friday that it was windy and must be the 'storm on its way' Posted Image

Posted

The wind is veering to the NW in the South West now: http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations

This will be the stronger edge of the storm, so things are by no means over yet for the SW. 

Posted

The wind is veering to the NW in the South West now: http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations

This will be the stronger edge of the storm, so things are by no means over yet for the SW. 

and no means over for SE and London

Posted

No it doesn't mean that for the SE. It's what happens when the main storm gets here and gives us a couple of hours of 40mph gusts, then as it starts to exit, we get 50 to (maybe) 70mph gusts from another direction (NW, NNW), up until 10am (ish).

Posted

Up to 10am. Great, should be easily here for rush-hour, happy I'm not going to work/out anywhere tomorrow morning!

Also a chance of 70mph winds. That certainly will change the risk of trees falling etc