Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 3

Coast

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

Pressure up ere in the North East down to 980.9hpa, , we will miss out on this storm today , but im looking at one for next week for the north and north east 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Talk now that parts of E Anglia, NE England may see upgrades re warnings etc..for later today, also bare the brunt of the winds..

This storm is now possibly taking on a new dimension. 

Yes, slightly concerned about that - North East Anglia/Wash area could take a battering.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I'm off to bed now, gusty winds in Exeter but it just feels like a typical autumn gale for us that we occasionally get, nothing out of the ordinary here and certainly no sustained winds of any great magnitude, maybe it's different on the coast? Maybe this is going to be a southeast event? I'm not even sure when Devon were due the worst winds as I keep hearing different things...anyway night fellow weather watchers...

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted

PLEASE STAY SAFE ALL THOSE AFFECTED IN THE SOUTH 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Sky News did say 55kts-70kts with a possibility of 80kts, which is 60-80mph with a chance of 90mph. I guess nothing is set in stone just yet, they must still be quite unsure on how rapidly it will intensify over the next 6-8 hours.

And it's that lack of certainty which will stop the Met from issuing a Red Warning as some have mentioned. If you look at their warning matrix they need to be pretty much certain it's going to happen to issue a red warning. Despite that, I don't think issuing a red warning would make much difference to joe public. After all the media coverage they are still expecting the worst.

Posted

Pressure here has just started to rise, back up to 982 from 981.2 and the winds veered to the west. So I'd say it has just passed North of Scilly.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Wind,Lightning

Gusts really are picking up big time now out there, ill be honest I'm not a big lover of strong winds and I'm already quite scared! And allegedly the strongest isn't here yet?! Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Still/Hot or extremes. Fog/Damp etc boring...

Wonder how this will look in a few hours time...

post-4008-0-37532500-1382922103_thumb.gi

Posted

I am starting to get nervous now, i seriously wish anyone wishing for severe winds was here to experience it in person. maybe they wouldn't be quite so enthusiastic. Damage already occurring round here and after experiencing the '87 storm I am getting very nervous now. It isn't the fun some people think!

Sustained winds already of 49mph  and pressure dropping with every update, so strange it keeps getting warmer too. 15.4C now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

Yes, slightly concerned about that - North East Anglia/Wash area could take a battering.

North East England? I thought we were going to miss it?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Pressure here has just started to rise, back up to 982 from 981.2 and the winds veered to the west. So I'd say it has just passed North of Scilly.

Satellite shows that it has, quite recently - clear, cool skies eh?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

I am starting to get nervous now, i seriously wish anyone wishing for severe winds was here to experience it in person. maybe they wouldn't be quite so enthusiastic. Damage already occurring round here and after experiencing the '87 storm I am getting very nervous now. It isn't the fun some people think!

Sustained winds already of 49mph  and pressure dropping with every update, so strange it keeps getting warmer too. 15.4C now.

I'm not as excited as what I was in this static caravan in Hastings Posted Image  It's so noisy and fierce.  It is shaking :(

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

The house that I am in at the moment was badly damaged in 87 it had the gable end blown in to the house, new brickwork is in metric..., it took over 100 mph to do that, it did 120 plus at the Needles that night.

At the moment its gusting around 50 but it has been around 70, just down the road from here its done 83 at the needles.

looks like 90 is on then, I think.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

The Heathrow TAF was updated at 0034 but says nothing of the nonsense that Sky News are reporting. They really haven't a clue what they're talking about and are an embarassement.

Max winds 35 gust 55 knots (40 gust 63 mph) from 0300-0600

EGLL 280034Z 2800/2906 20018G30KT 6000 RA SCT008 SCT015 TEMPO 2800/2803 4000 +RA PROB40 TEMPO 2800/2804 BKN008 BECMG 2801/2804 23030G50KT 9999 NSW PROB30 TEMPO 2803/2806 27035G55KT BECMG 2807/2810 27016G28KT TEMPO 2808/2819 7000 SHRA PROB30 TEMPO 2811/2816 4000 +SHRA BKN014CB BECMG 2819/282

Posted

Shipping forecast was reduced from Hurricane force 12 to severe storm 11 for Wight..... If it's only gusting to 55 knots now that's going to be horrendous here (east Wight)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of Snow

978mb here still dropping 1.4 hr temps 15.7 rising +0.8 hr, gusts of 21 at moment.

Posted

I'm not as excited as what I was in this static caravan in Hastings Posted Image  It's so noisy and fierce.  It is shaking Posted Image

I expect you will be soon too. i am not far off it and I am used to Gales here. I now also have a headache, probably the noise and clanging from outside!

Posted

Now get ready for the real fun and games from the N / NW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

So if I understand it correctly, systems usually die down when reaching land but this one is intensifying.  Consequently, wind speeds are increasing as the storm crosses the country which would explain why the possible speeds being suggested for (e.g.) Heathrow are higher than we were originally led to believe they would be?  Also, are we looking at the possibility of a potentially damaging Sting Jet as the system leaves the UK via the Norfolk / East Anglia region?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

The Heathrow TAF was updated at 0034 but says nothing of the nonsense that Sky News are reporting. They really haven't a clue what they're talking about and are an embarassement.Max winds 35 gust 55 knots (40 gust 63 mph) from 0300-0600EGLL 280034Z 2800/2906 20018G30KT 6000 RA SCT008 SCT015 TEMPO 2800/2803 4000 +RA PROB40 TEMPO 2800/2804 BKN008 BECMG 2801/2804 23030G50KT 9999 NSW PROB30 TEMPO 2803/2806 27035G55KT BECMG 2807/2810 27016G28KT TEMPO 2808/2819 7000 SHRA PROB30 TEMPO 2811/2816 4000 +SHRA BKN014CB BECMG 2819/282

Weren't they talking about 6-9 am?