Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 3

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Is it not a case that the pressures were really low earlier due to the other low in the North , and pressures will rise as that moves away and then lower again later as the new storm forms ? 

I don't know myself, which I why I decided to point it out on here Posted Image

Posted

Elf and safety and those many injury compensation companies have made them more aware

Think it's got more to do with the penalty system, if they announce a reduced schedule because of the weather, they don't lose as much, as if they try to run a full service and fail.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Meto evening Fax from 20 mins ago pin points the low.

post-7292-0-46108500-1382902553_thumb.gi

Eport has updated with 18z Imagery and things have moved along a bit since earlier, some rocket fuel incoming to kick this thing off.

post-7292-0-71740100-1382902571_thumb.pn post-7292-0-47000100-1382902578_thumb.pn

• Like 8

Posted

It does seen extreme to have mass cancellations. People need to get to work etc. The country can't just stop due to some wind.

I don't know , I am on the first train to Torbay in the morning for kids half term holiday , but I would rather a test train went through first, You wouldn't want to be going 80mph into a fallen tree across the track ... Think safety should come first , although I think they should alter as needed and not on mass as you say. 

• Like 3

Any chance they will un-cancel all the trains in SE England if this storm is not as bad as was first thought?I'm more terrified of the crush on the platform in the morning trying to get on a train than the wind to be honest. Current models make this look like a fairly normal windstorm with some gusty winds inland and heavy rain. ...... not exactly a mega storm.

Don't leave until you've checked national rail departures and realtimetrains.com for up to the minute info. Ignore everything else as likely to be wrong or behind the times.

Posted

It does seen extreme to have mass cancellations. People need to get to work etc. The country can't just stop due to some wind.

yes why cancel this early, why not take a view first thing

Posted

Not looking forward to trying to get from Canary Wharf to Watford tomorrow morning at about 8AM, doubt the trains are going to be running from Euston Posted Image

Posted

Don't know if this is directly linked to the 'storm' but today in Swaledale (North Pennines) we have had monsoon style rain, but lasting for only a minute or two, coupled with gusty strong winds. Nowt unusual in the wind but not had so many short intense bursts of rain in the 20 odd yrs we have been here.

Any connection to the up and coming?

Posted

Uncancelling the trains is easier said than done. All the stock and crews will be in the wrong place; it would take well over an hour or so to get everything up and running.

They have most of the night, so one hour is no excuse!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Uncancelling the trains is easier said than done. All the stock and crews will be in the wrong place; it would take well over an hour or so to get everything up and running.

I know......it was said in jest :)If this is a damp squib then the met will come in for some mighty stick! You can only cry Wolf so many times. I understand the concern and caution, but over today we have seen the models move this further south and downgrade yet they are continuing to cancel everything! We now even have forecasters taking to Twitter to report on wind gusts in the exposed coastal parts of Brittany to try and justify all the panic. This may be a very bad storm and I could look stupid for saying this, we shall see in the morning. Just a bit miffed with what seems like an overreaction but by certainareas of the state.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Meto evening Fax from 20 mins ago pin points the low.

Posted ImagePPVA89.gif

Eport has updated with 18z Imagery and things have moved along a bit since earlier, some rocket fuel incoming to kick this thing off.

Posted Image12z WV.PNG Posted ImageWV 1800.PNG

Well that places it close to buoy 62029 http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.php?station=62029&meas=pres&uom=M&time_diff=0&time_label=GMT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

What if there's no electricity to run the trains? What's the point of going to work in a power cut or do you use hand tools and a manual typewriter? It's just one day.

Other countries have provinces the size of the UK... they don't stop, but we are a small group of islands and it's very easy for a weather system to close us down.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Why do they cancel train before something happens? They kept running during the blitz I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad! ><

Don't know if you have noticed cyclonic happiness times are slightly different than the blitz. So whilst I get the spirit to carry on notion there are a few more subtle differences. ;) I think the rail companies are being sensible and putting people's safety first. Imagine if they didn't and there was an incident? Doesn't bear thinking about. It will be case of let's wait n see. This is Mother Nature and she will do what she wants to do..and we need to respect her. Deep down we all would be better to be forwarned. And if it isn't severe if as first thought? So what.
  • Like 3

Posted

As I pointed out earlier the 19Z meteocentre analysis lacks the synop and ship reports of the 18Z, hence the lower accuracy. The next proper analysis will be at 2100Z

Edited by Su Campu

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

If this is a damp squib then the met will come in for some mighty stick! You can only cry Wolf so many times.I understand the concern and caution, but over today we have seen the models move this further south and downgrade yet they are continuing to cancel everything! We now even have forecasters taking to Twitter to report on wind gusts in the exposed coastal parts of Brittany to try and justify all the panic.This may be a very bad storm and I could look stupid for saying this, we shall see in the morning. Just a bit miffed with what seems like an overreaction but by certainareas of the state.

This isn't about 'crying wolf' it's about giving reasnable warnings, the met office have to do so and to say it might be okay would be a dereliction of responsibility. Most people understand this I think, apart from that minority who are sceptical about this, that and the other, you'll never please them - they'd complain if there were warnings or if there weren't.

Edited by ukpaul
  • Like 5

Posted

Well that's weather for you....and you are on a weather forum....to discuss weather?

I thought I was discussing the weather. But people craving extreme winds when we all know what the consequences of that particular type of weather can mean is to my mind no less than ghoulish. Weather enthusiasts shouldn't be any different from other enthusiasts. Trainspotters wouldn't want to see a train crash.

Edited by Gary_R_Walker
  • Like 3

Posted

Notice

The forum is going to go down for 1-2 minutes shortly - we have to add some power to the database to keep things running smoothly.

Apologies for any inconvenience - we didn't expect it to be quite as busy as it is...

• Like 6