Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 3

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

It has become considerable worse here on IOW..really gusting now, and power flickering all time

Posted

No problem, it has seemed to have merged lately. But that squall passed through here, I would say easily some 60mph gusts!

I can imagine! I know it must have been quite an event for you, they can appear out of nowhere and last for just 15 minutes :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Just a bit of wind here really nothing of note yet.

Posted
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL

It has become considerable worse here on IOW..really gusting now, and power flickering all time

Can concur with that. Lights flickering in Brighstone and squally showers with some very strong gusts

Posted

I used to live on the Island, in Ryde, and I never experienced a good wind storm :-(

Posted

Trees down in beapers shute, electric out in sandown

Posted

I can imagine! I know it must have been quite an event for you, they can appear out of nowhere and last for just 15 minutes :-)

Yeah... Not sure how long it lasted, as it woke me up. I gave up waiting for any decent wind before that :PBut as I say, it was a good squall line, and (unless I missed anything major in my sleep) then the strongest winds of the night here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

99 mph recorded at the Needles. Plenty of trees down, ferries cancelled on the IOW, hope this calms down have a ferry to catch at 11.30, what are my chances?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

wind is a lot stronger...its not very relaxing. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

Oh, so the action has finally begun down South? Well here it is still raining, heavy at times, but, the wind is like only 5mph stronger than earlier??? But I can see the Wind Speeds rising more northwards.

Posted

Met O have just released 5am data on their site and it was gusting at 75mph here! That was about 15 mins after the winds reached their peak!! We were only forecast to have about 55mph this far inland! No wonder there was so much chaos in my garden.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Power went out for about a minute here, wind is now picking up after a reasonably quiet (but wet!) night.

Posted

99 mph recorded at the Needles. Plenty of trees down, ferries cancelled on the IOW, hope this calms down have a ferry to catch at 11.30, what are my chances?

Ha I remember from my days on the Island, I used to have to gear myself up first, before boarding the FastCat when it was rough out there :-)

Posted

The wind  is the strongest I have known apart from '87 and goodness knows what gusts we had then. The garden gate we carefully repaired and made safe is now blown ope but no way will I go out to check the damage yet. neighbours greenhouse has blown across their garden and I am totally amazed that having had gusts up to 70knots/80.55mph that my cherry tree and apple tree are still standing and taking the punishment, the cherry is bending almost double and of course apples are everywhere. A force 12 gust on land here was something I just didn't bargain for. A really good call from the METO and I am so very thankfully i listened to the warnings and not to the sceptical northerners who were on here yesterday night!!!!!!! Can't wait for daylight to inspect the damage but no way will I go out until the wind is down to a Force 7

http://www.chimet.co.uk/%28S%28ffeguunc4muitj55bpvttj45%29%29/wind.aspx

Thankfully looking at CHIMET is seems it was that massive gust that woke me and no things are starting to calm a little.

Edited by coldfingers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Probably had the biggest gust of the night here about 15 mins ago.

Posted

all travel has been suspended to and from the island, power cuts in many places now, road closure reports, and roads now impassable

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

not very windy in hereford, at least not compared with yesterday, but l keep on hearing the local radio station say that its supposed to hit between 5am (now) and 10am, been wondering if there is any truth in that considering its hit quite a few places further along the coast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!

Torrential rain here in W. Oxon and wind getting up nicely in last half hour!

Posted

all travel has been suspended to and from the island, power cuts in many places now, road closure reports, and roads now impassable

Edit @ 05.51am

Trees have fallen near Cowelease hill, Yarmouth road, Shorwell Shute, Tescos Roundabout, Forest Road and Sandford Garage.

Red Funnel and Hovertravel have suspended all services until further notice this morning