Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 3

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Any of you guys know where the low is currently situated?

The fact that the winds haven't been very strong here makes me wonder if it has just slowed down further?

I think the centre of the low is around your area. Expect winds to increase as it moves away and the isobars tighten.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

More damage is possible due to the wind changing to a NW'ly and 'sideswiping' the already loose trees from another direction. (I think it's known as a haymaker in boxing parlance) Posted Image

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted

So where is the low atm 

More damage is possible due to the wind changing to a NW'ly and 'sideswiping' the already loose trees from another direction.

And all the people who thought they where safe as the trees wouldn't fall in there direction with a SW wind hehehe 

Edited by ihatecoldweather

Posted

What the flipping **** is happening?!? Stayed up until a few hours ago and it was gusting nicely- really windy. Just woken now by noise of wind through gap in window that was so loud my cats ran under fled and I nearly jumped from my skin. Suddenly winds got so so so strong that in a few seconds my garden is wrecked! Ok, so I was to young to remember 87 storm, and I didn't live in SW during Burns day storm, but I have never seen anything like it. Shed roof coming off, massive heavy gas bbq lying in bits having been flung accross garden, and my wind anemometer just gone! Dashed out to grab bits of bbq and stop them flying about and I am still shaking. Winds still really blowing but not like they just did for a couple of mins. Wind seems.roughly north now too. Wow.

Was that a surge or something??

• Like 1

What the flipping **** is happening?!? Stayed up until a few hours ago and it was gusting nicely- really windy. Just woken now by noise of wind through gap in window that was so loud my cats ran under fled and I nearly jumped from my skin. Suddenly winds got so so so strong that in a few seconds my garden is wrecked! Ok, so I was to young to remember 87 storm, and I didn't live in SW during Burns day storm, but I have never seen anything like it. Shed roof coming off, massive heavy gas bbq lying in bits having been flung accross garden, and my wind anemometer just gone! Dashed out to grab bits of bbq and stop them flying about and I am still shaking. Winds still really blowing but not like they just did for a couple of mins. Wind seems.roughly north now too. Wow.

The radar doesn't show one, but perhaps a squall line is developing near your location?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Nothing but moderate gusts here, by now I was expecting 60mph gusts but we are not even reaching 30 in my location.

Edited by Mesoscale

Posted

Judging by comparisons to a local airport yesterday I think my barometer reads too high, but it currently reads 986 and winds are strong but not ridiculous. 20 mins ago after I got in following all hell breaking loose it read 979. What would cause such a difference and would that have caused the crazy winds? There was no rain at the time.

Posted

Looking at RainToday it does indeed look like a squall line developing. Hope your shed holds out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms.

Probably the cold front passing through. Surface obs show a wind shift to the North West. Note the temperature drop across the south west as well.

Posted

Hayling Island taking a hammering. Can anyone please confirm that what is currently happening is the storm? It's just that watching news seems too suggest that this isn't the big one yet? I know I've said it before and some of you think I'm taking p... But I am genuinely in a caravan and to say it's getting hairy is very much an understatement.

Posted

Probably the cold front passing through. Surface obs show a wind shift to the North West. Note the temperature drop across the south west as well.

It is most likely the Cold Front passing through yes, as it passed the Scilly's just under 2 hours ago so that would make sense 

Posted

Winds here now Force 10 and gusting Force 12. Mean speed of just under 57mph and gusts of 74mph

http://www.chimet.co.uk/%28S%28b3mq3oeg13nmi4rap042bo55%29%29/Default.aspx

Just heard something metallic go rattling down the road.

Webcam looking good at almost high tide. http://www.bognorregisbeach.co.uk/live

Lights ocassionally flashing but we still have power thankfully.

Edited by coldfingers
  • Like 2

Posted

Looking at RainToday it does indeed look like a squall line developing. Hope your shed holds out.

With respect, I can't see a squall line there on Rain Today?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms

Redhill aerodrome reporting a gust of 54Kts on its equipment. Can't verify this but I know the equipment there is calibrated so can't be far out.

http://www.redhillaerodrome.com/index.php/local-weather

Posted

You could be right, it looks like the temperature has dropped about 3 degrees in an hour as well.

Posted

Hayling Island taking a hammering. Can anyone please confirm that what is currently happening is the storm? It's just that watching news seems too suggest that this isn't the big one yet? I know I've said it before and some of you think I'm taking p... But I am genuinely in a caravan and to say it's getting hairy is very much an understatement.

We're getting 40-50mph gusts in Swanage but Isle of Wight is hitting 60mph at times, Hayling is pretty exposed so you'll be in for some strong gusts at the upper end of those figures. (I hope that helps...sort of)
  • Like 1

Posted

With respect, I can't see a squall line there on Rain Today?

Look at near the back of the where the rain is, was more defined a bit earlier, now turned a bit messy!It's the lump of rain that is over Taunton, just approaching WSM, at the 5.00am frame!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

that Bognor cam you can see the waves are high and the odd car go along..

had to turn brightness right up..its getting risky for traffic if the odd huge wave go on a bit higher

Posted

Look at near the back of the where the rain is, was more defined a bit earlier, now turned a bit messy!It's the lump of rain that is over Taunton, just approaching WSM, at the 5.00am frame!

My mistake, upon zooming, there was a squall of sorts, but probably around the 04:15/04:30 frame; the 05:00 seems to to enter an organised rain band 

Posted

My mistake, upon zooming, there was a squall of sorts, but probably around the 04:15/04:30 frame; the 05:00 seems to to enter an organised rain band

No problem, it has seemed to have merged lately. But that squall passed through here, I would say easily some 60mph gusts!

Pressure has dropped a total of 20.9mb in the last 12 hours here, and still falling away slowly.

A very weird system this has been for sure. Isle of Wight recording higher windspeeds now than they have all all evening, despite the fact it should have passed them now?

Edited by Sainsbo