Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 3

Coast

Posted

Would that still be the case if no warnings were issued and damage was caused. Im afraid we have no way of being 100% where mother nature is involved

Hi Paul, I agree with the warnings wholeheartedly and do not blame the met office one bit as the potential was there first. It's the tv and media that is grating me and their forecasters. What i disagree with is the live coverage of forecasters not stating the truth and that is that it is nowhere near as bad as first feared at all. Yet running and hyping it up and scaring those not in the know so to speak. It's a storm alright. A media circus storm.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

You mean 80knts or mph? 80Knts would mean over 90mph which I can not see.

Knots is what was said. I'm the same as everyone else, I can't see it on the charts but this is now a nowcasting situation and this is apparently what the MetOffice has told the airports in the last few moments. May be that Sky are falsely reporting this but this is what was said in no uncertain terms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Possible, but my opinion would be that this is unlikely. I haven't seen any tweets from the MetO or Ian F about this, and surely with wind speeds of 90mph around the capital there would be very little hesitation issuing a red warning, especially if the period of strong winds is due to increase until midday, when there is a much greater rick to life and.

True but Ian may be in bed now!!!

Posted

Well that's me out, I was on the 7.08am to London Euston, time for a lie in!

Sky have just repeated winds up to 90mph lasting beyond 12pm tomorrow and that the storm will be 'very serious'.

Well, thats the Planes, Trains and now we await the automobiles! I am off to bed to get enough sleep to try to leave [whats left of] the house in the morning.

Night all. Enjoy watching what arrives. But stay safe please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

What time will it reach Luton?

was not expected to reach this sort of area until about 5 onwards I don't think. Hard to tell exactly when and how bad it will be when it gets here. 

Think I will give it up for a few hours and get some sleep. I would hate to be so tired when it gets here, that I sleep through the whole thing. No work for me as recovering from surgery so if I wake in the night I will be back checking on progress.

Please stay sane all.. what will happen will happen.. and most of all stay safe Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

sky news reporting 90mph winds to last till after midday toworrow what are they smoking in therePosted Image

personally I don't see this getting to 90mph winds

Posted ImageBXno78hIQAA52KZ.png

Nor me but ive just sent a text out to someone to check before they go tomorrow.

Posted

Just this minute watched the BBC Weather.......the 'storm' is now into the SW and anywhere in the south can see...50/60/70 mph gusts and 'maybe 80mph somewhere on the south coast!!!!!!...

Posted

According to latest Sky news...if it is then we are in for a torrid time.

I would say that either they have got their wires crossed with what they mean or you simply mis-heard. They've tweeted no such thing and they've tweeted most bits too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

It hasn't actually reached the UK shores yet mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

I would say that either they have got their wires crossed with what they mean or you simply mis-heard. They've tweeted no such thing and they've tweeted most bits too.

Watched it myself at 11.56pm, they were very clear.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

I thought it had just the eye hasn't reached landfall , reports from my friends said the wind has really picked up down there they live in yeovil

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

Pressure now at 985.5, and must be at leat 100 miles from the center. I'd guess that the low is probably around 982mb or lower now?

its a deep low already..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

It is definitely what they said, I have re-played it a number of times. Being airports though, I do wonder if they have got their wires crossed and are talking about 3000ft wind speeds not surface winds.

Edit: They have just said the exact same thing again. Watch the Sky News channel for yourself if you have Sky. Channel 501

Edited by suffolkboy_
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe t/ storms, rain, snow, wind!

Blowing real bad here now...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

In Wellington Somerset ,it is raining moderately --heavy .About an hour ago the wind started to pick up and now has dropped to nothing .Another poster who lives in Taunton(7miles a way) says it is like a mill pond too where they are............Any ideas as to why ?( not complaining btw about lack of wind just very curious ) as all around the wind is definitely picking up (Exeter not v far from us) .................

Agreed - it has been very calm for most of the evening here in Wellie. I think we must be sat near to the eye - once the system moves further east we will catch the back edge of it and the winds there will be at their strongest. However my reading of the charts is that for the SW and Wales most of the action is going to be in the Channel. The SE may be in the firing line come tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Breaking News on Sky News.....London Airports, AIrlines told by MET office windspeeds of 30 knots at 6am increasing to 80 knots continuing until midday.

Don't like the sound of that 1 bit, can someone tell me what 80 knots is in MPH and also if thats at ground level or 850.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Skynews have reported the knts thing and they have said winds could increase to 92mph at Heathrow.....??? 

More detail on the Sky news quote is that they were told that "winds would increase from 30kts to 55kts, which will then intensify further to 60-70kts with a possibility of winds reaching 80kts"

Even 60kts, which is around 70mph would cause a lot of chaos.

Edited by Sainsbo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Does anyone know what time to expect the worst of the winds in Devon at all please? Thankyou...

The wind here in Exeter is very gusty, enough to make whole trees move if I had to guess I'd say the strongest so far has been 40 - 45 mph but no sustained winds....

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted

Air temp and winds now rising, pressure dropping.

http://www.chimet.co.uk/%28S%28xysgfv45h0m4pyuvndns3345%29%29/Default.aspx

since I posted the above it is now already gusting to 50Knots.

Daughter who lived a quarter mile away has tiles of roof allowing water into the flat above and running down into their flat, right onto their electrical supply!!! now had to turn their electricity off because of the danger of fire.

Edited by coldfingers