Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 3

Coast

Posted

Just been an update on Sky Neww, Met Office have told Airlines that they are forecasting upto 90mph winds at Heathrow and that the storm is going to last longer than expected up until at last 12pm...

ohh the drama of the weather maybe the met office are seeing something we cant. makes model watching compelling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

have not herd of any news of south wales are we still due any winds still not a  sign of any 

Well it's pretty gusty here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

80 knots is 92mph.. I haven't seen any models indicate that.

Maybe they know something we dont or Sky are over egg-ing it? But they did say the MET Office have update the airports on this and quoted those speeds.

Posted

Just showing breaking news on sky news that Heathrow airport has been told by the MetOffice that from 6am until 12am winds have the possibility of gusting to 80knts and they are now expecting greater delays than previously thought.Edit: Scotteboi beat me to it!

You mean 80knts or mph? 80Knts would mean over 90mph which I can not see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Sky news have just reported that the MET have predicted gusts at Heathrow up to 80kts.

Cargo holds cannot be opened with winds over 40kts.

Lots of planes could end up grounded tomorrow morning!

EDIT: I'm too slow Posted Image

Once found myself in a plane trying to land in a heavy crosswind - never again........

No forecasts have suggested that but maybe they are factoring in the possibility of a sting jet emerging.

Posted

This is the first storm I've followed closely. Not posting much but this is very fascinating for me. I have to walk over a mile tomorrow so slightly concerned about the trains in my area although I understand it won't be so bad here (although seeing reports it is further north).

Stay safe all you down there.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms

I think Sky must be quoting from a dubious source regarding the wind at Heathrow. Information provide to me as of 2300 is for the strength to be no greater than 55KTS. Luton and Stansted may reach 60 however. The upper winds at 1000ft and 3000ft are likely to be 80kts, it may be these that they've mistakenly quoted.

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

In Wellington Somerset ,it is raining moderately --heavy .About an hour ago the wind started to pick up and now has dropped to nothing .Another poster who lives in Taunton(7miles a way) says it is like a mill pond too where they are............Any ideas as to why ?( not complaining btw about lack of wind just very curious ) as all around the wind is definitely picking up (Exeter not v far from us) .................

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

80 knots is 92mph.. I haven't seen any models indicate that.

I wonder if that's because of their observational data together with their knowledge suggests a sting jet may still be in the offering, 90mph is not far off 87 standard you know.

• Like 1

Posted

If it is deepening, perhaps more than we had thought, I understand they then have a tendency to turn left .Are any more senior peeps on board who can comment on the current track of Jude,and is it deepening or as expected?

the more senior peeps may well be off in the regionals, but my regional  is currently  inhabited by newbies,with under  10  posts(yet post count  rising rapidly) talking nonsense.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html looks more north than todays models and from pressure updates slightly deeper. closer to what the models were showing Friday.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

how could the sky news reported that when they are discussing the papers??

They stopped the paper review for a few minutes to bring the "Breaking News"

Edited by scotteboi

Posted

Which bit the 104 Gust?

It was on there but was a false reading. I've now set the station to private as every time the wind gets up towards 60 knots, it is giving false readings.

At the moment we have about 35 knot average winds with occasional gusts to about 55 knots, pressure 982.1 and falling

• Like 1

Posted

Meto possibly seeing the same thing I am, with the low riding out the jetstreak further north than anticipated especially going along with the past 2 hours IR loop. Already showers breaking out in what otherwise should be the 'dry' area of the center indicating upper winds being pushed more down to the surface. Perhaps RACY set to be initiated earlier than expected putting it almost slap-bang across the middle of England as it does so.

• Like 5

Posted

Breaking News on Sky News.....London Airports, AIrlines told by MET office windspeeds of 30 knots at 6am increasing to 80 knots continuing until midday.

Are you sure about the 80 knots? That is 92 mph!!!!Posted Image

Posted

Well that's me out, I was on the 7.08am to London Euston, time for a lie in!

Sky have just repeated winds up to 90mph lasting beyond 12pm tomorrow and that the storm will be 'very serious'.

• Like 1

Posted

I think Sky must be quoting from a dubious source regarding the wind at Heathrow. Information provide to me as of 2300 is for the strength to be no greater than 55KTS. Luton and Stansted may reach 60 however. The upper winds at 1000ft and 3000ft are likely to be 80kts, it may be these that they've mistakenly quoted.

Johnathan Powell perhaps!? Actually, naa can't be, too underplayed for him.And you have a good point about higher level winds affecting planes on their ILS etc. That would make more sense. Edited by rmc1987
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

sky news reporting 90mph winds to last till after midday toworrow what are they smoking in therePosted Image

personally I don't see this getting to 90mph winds

post-18233-0-14347800-1382918336_thumb.p

Posted

Well that's me out, I was on the 7.08am to London Euston, time for a lie in!

Sky have just repeated winds up to 90mph lasting beyond 12pm tomorrow and that the storm will be 'very serious'.

just seen that too if thats correct then that is serious damaging winds

I wonder if that's because of their observational data together with their knowledge suggests a sting jet may still be in the offering, 90mph is not far off 87 standard you know.

Possible, but my opinion would be that this is unlikely. I haven't seen any tweets from the MetO or Ian F about this, and surely with wind speeds of 90mph around the capital there would be very little hesitation issuing a red warning, especially if the period of strong winds is due to increase until midday, when there is a much greater risk to life.

Edited by Sainsbo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

Does anyone have a link where we can track this low ?

waiting for the 00h update from the meteocentre, is there something with more regular updates?

Posted

Are you sure about the 80 knots? That is 92 mph!!!!Posted Image

According to latest Sky news...if it is then we are in for a torrid time.