Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 3

Coast

Posted

zooming out , ignore the colours, the interesting bit is the curl at the back edge of the 'blue', called a comma cloud

that shape signals deepening and things getting going - cyclogenesis

and we're waiting for explosive cyclogenesis 

Starting to look a bit more impressive on satellite currently. Here's a link to a satellite animation of a classic explosively deepening storm system - http://www.umanitoba.ca/environment/envirogeog/weather/leafanim.html

Note the baroclinic leaf present at the beginning of the animation. 

• Like 1

Posted

Why can I see rain in the radar and no drops are falling? :O GHOST rain!!

That made me chuckle..like somebodys killed the rain and its not come bk just to mess with ya mind
  • Like 1

Posted

Storms need warm, moist air as fuel, and they typically draw that air in from the surrounding environment. Storms can draw in that air from all directions - even from the direction in which the storm is travelling..As the warm, moist air is pulled into a storm system, it leaves a low-pressure vacuum in its wake. The air travels up through the storm cloud and helps to fuel it. The updrafts in the storm, however, quickly carry the air upward, and when it reaches the top of the cloud mass, this warm moist air gets spit out at the top. This air is sent rolling out over the big, anvil-shaped head of the thunderclouds or the roiling arms of hurricanes. From there, the air descends - drawn back toward lower altitudes by the very vacuum its departure created in the first place.What's important for our purposes is that descending air becomes warmer and drier (a good thing after its trip through the cloud, which involved cooling and condensation). Warm, dry air is relatively stable, and once it blankets a region, it stabilizes that air in turn. This causes the calm before a storm.

Thanks a lot for that really good explanation!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Starting to look a bit more impressive on satellite currently. Here's a link to a satellite animation of a classic explosively deepening storm system - http://www.umanitoba.ca/environment/envirogeog/weather/leafanim.html

Note the baroclinic leaf present at the beginning of the animation. 

Nice

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

BBC SW Weather â€@BBCSWWeather 2m

After a few quiet hours apart from the rain gales are here, gusts to 48kts at St Mary's and Culdrose, the storm is slower but on it's way.

• Like 1

Posted

Well having just moved from Grampian to SE SCotland and being the STV presenter this week, I'm not really the person you need to point that out to. I am however bothered about tonight's forecast

Agreed, its not like we can control what the media are doing? and snipping at each other won't help.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather

The hype from the BBC News is pretty awful. I wish they would communicate with there own weather centre sometimes. Anyone hazard a guess at strongest gusts in North Staffordshire? Wouldn't mind something a bit breezy at least rather than calm.

• Like 2

Posted

As people's locations have been disabled in order to take some load off the forum it's obviously difficult for us to make out where people are when they report their current weather conditions.

As a result of this, can people reporting on their current conditions state where they are in their messages please? Either start off by saying something like "Here in <your location> it's chucking it down and blowing a hoolie" etc. Or simply report the conditions and end with your location in brackets. :)

Here in south Wales it's raining a little but the wind has dropped off a lot.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

As people's locations have been disabled in order to take some load off the forum it's obviously difficult for us to make out where people are when they report their current weather conditions.

As a result of this, can people reporting on their current conditions state where they are in their messages please? Either start off by saying something like "Here in <your location> it's chucking it down and blowing a hoolie" etc. Or simply report the conditions and end with your location in brackets. Posted Image

Ironically they now appear to have been restored.

• Like 2

Posted

Hope what you are all saying is correct - all my facebook friends here in South Wales are panicking after seeing the BBC news and I'm putting them right about the fact that its not going to happen!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The hype from the BBC News is pretty awful. I wish they would communicate with there own weather centre sometimes. Anyone hazard a guess at strongest gusts in North Staffordshire? Wouldn't mind something a bit breezy at least rather than calm.

I think most places north of Birmingham will be largely unaffected. The centre of the low will track over the Midlands giving lighter winds, although it will get a bit breezy as it rolls through. I'd say maybe 40mph gusts? But the rain will be more of an issue here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i wander if some of the amber warnings were called for mainly for the midlands area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

As a result of this, can people reporting on their current conditions state where they are in their messages please? Either start off by saying something like "Here in <your location> it's chucking it down and blowing a hoolie" etc. Or simply report the conditions and end with your location in brackets. Posted Image

Locations appear to be back now

Posted

Horrific scenes across Southern Britian as the worse storm in over 10 years hits earlier than expected;

Posted Imageimage.jpg

(Caveat: Post intended as a joke and not to be taken seriously. Not representative of my thoughts.) LOVE IT...DON'T OFTEN LAUGH OUT LOAD TO MY SELF, THANKS FOR THAT ONE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

On the flipside to a lot of negative posts earlier in the day (of which I may have been one of them) re downgrades....if this does come off tonight, it will put a big feather in the cap of many forecast agencies......time will tell? Its riveting!!Posted Image

Sky news really going for it...best one yet though....5 minute spiel by the presenter about the winds 'smashing' into the south etc etc...then crosses to live reporter on the coast, not enough wind to ripple his paper thin jacket!! ....awkward!!Posted Image

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Forgive me, but this storm is not moving over the entire UK, and some perspective is needed. Far more potent systems than this one regularly pound Scotland and it's islands - indeed even the heavily populated central belt of Scotland - yet media coverage has never been so "dramatic" as now.

I've read the BBC news website and other news outlets and am truly gobsmacked at the writing.

Central belt of Scotland is c.1.5mn people, S/SE England is c.15mn people. Hence 10 times the interest, potential damage etc etc.Journalists will be journalists though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Horrific scenes across Southern Britian as the worse storm in over 10 years hits earlier than expected;

Posted Imageimage.jpg

(Caveat: Post intended as a joke and not to be taken seriously. Not representative of my thoughts.)

Can't believe they didn't tie a rubber band round that poor plastic chair as the 20kts winds arrived  Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Hope what you are all saying is correct - all my facebook friends here in South Wales are panicking after seeing the BBC news and I'm putting them right about the fact that its not going to happen!

There is still a threat to south Wales, it is borderline but not to be discounted yet

• Like 1

Posted

Or put it in your signature so it appears automatically Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Ian Fergusson â€@fergieweather 1m

W COUNTRY UPDATE 2200GMT Latest in a few mins on @bbcpointswest with improved (of sorts) prognosis: lesser gusts generally; mostly 40-60mph

Ian Fergusson â€@fergieweather 59s

W COUNTRY CONTD So gale to severe gale strength generally; locally storm force; impact very variable across region. Amber warning remains.

Ian Fergusson â€@fergieweather 1m

W COUNTRY CONTD Winds will first pick-up Lyme Bay / #Dorset / S #Somerset very quickly later tonight. Later these ease; by 5am stronger in N