Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 3

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Don't think we were ever due to get the worst of the storm, it's still looking like it might be an unplesant trip to work in the morning with some heavy rain around.

Our turn comes next weekend although that will probably change nearer the timeAs others have already said though, this was never really a Northern event with the rain more of a concern up here than wind but for those of you in the firing line, stay safe.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Personally I find it hard to believe the GFS will be wrong at 9 hours post initiation. A strong gale in the FAR SE of the UK and along S coastal areas but certainly nothing spectacular over CS England and S Midlands as some warnings are making out......all in my opinion of course

Posted Image

GFS18Z shows a more open wave at 3am Monday as it crosses England.Not phased with the jet streak at that point.

post-2026-0-66937200-1382910820_thumb.pnpost-2026-0-01448900-1382910831_thumb.pn

As the forecasting team have already suggested it looks like some hours later before it hits the cold exit of the jet and deepens somewhat-out in the North Sea.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Really is eerily calm out there...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Ice, Thunderstorms and Heatwaves

Gusts of 76 mph of the coast of Plymouth now, with 24mph in Bristol.

where did you get that info from?

Posted

Sounding very bad outside here too Kate. It seems there are a lot of NIMBY's on here tonight that can't believe in something if it isn't in their back yard. or to be charitable, i guess it is just severe disappointment this isn't going further north?

Sounding as calm out, as a summer's evening here.

Posted

It is literally still outside. Wind is 0.1mph and gusts are 0.5mph. Very strange indeed.

I am amazed it is quiet in Wiltshire. Not sure what is happening but things are winding up fast here on the coast of West Sussex. Maybe because I am so close to the coast? less that half an hour ago was gusting up to 51knot, or almost 59 mph. Perhaps just a severe squall?

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Sounding as calm out, as a summer's evening here.

Yep, either this kicks up a notch or I can say " Another year another failure " ;)

if not, I was wrong and I can enjoy the storm!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm & Sunny

As the Evening goes on , it now seems the damaging winds will be reserved for the SE, Most of the SW looks to be spared as the strongest winds should track the South Coast and the Channel . Still could change though ...

Well, it's really blowing up down in Cadgwith Cove in Cornwall, so perhaps not.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

where did you get that info from?

On the netweather extra radar, there is an option with says NMM Overlays and then click wind gusts. Thinking it through now it might be forecast, not an observation.

Still learning...

Edited by interestingweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Where is your source? Can we have a link? Cheers.

I am amazed it is quiet in Wiltshire. Not sure what is happening but things are winding up fast here on the coast of West Sussex. Maybe because I am so close to the coast? less that half an hour ago was gusting up to 51knot, or almost 59 mph. Perhaps just a severe squall?

I guess it's because you are closer to the coast. I think we will all have our fair share of wind before the night's out :p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!!

No wind or rain here...absolute calm. Not what I was expecting at all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

This storm still has potential to really develop as it moves over the UK, it seems that it's most violent stage maybe over the North Sea tomorrow

but it could still flick its sting of a tail at eastern England, (Norfolk particularly) as it clears tomorrow morning, so even as people wake up in East Anglia it may not be over

Forgive me, but this storm is not moving over the entire UK, and some perspective is needed. Far more potent systems than this one regularly pound Scotland and it's islands - indeed even the heavily populated central belt of Scotland - yet media coverage has never been so "dramatic" as now.

I've read the BBC news website and other news outlets and am truly gobsmacked at the writing.

• Like 9

Posted

Could you link where you're getting this data from? The only wind observation site I have at the moment is the xcweather one and it takes half an hour to update. 

Edit: Never mind, RCT got there first. :)

Edited by sn0wman

Posted

Yep, either this kicks up a notch or I can say " Another year another failure " Posted Image

if not, I was wrong and I can enjoy the storm!

Don't worry Victor. Posted Image  Just watch out for tomorrow morning, I reckon you WILL get some fun then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Where is your source? Can we have a link? Cheers.

As posted to another member, I think it is a forecasted wind gust overlay on netweather extra radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Click on my name - sorry, it was too long to fit here......

Been throwing it down in Guildford for a while now, a horrible night out there.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

They seem to think Cardiff will be hit by the 'storm' tonight on BBC.. er no it will be further south 

• Like 2