Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 3

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

So much hype over an ordinary winter "storm". I predict a lot of egg on faces tomorrow. No model is now indicating anything like what has been speculated.

Hang on to your hat - you may well need to eat it tomorrow Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

Looking at that data from the buoy, it does seem to indicate that the low is not deepening as much as predicted during yesterday and is quite a bit further east than those tracks suggested. If this is so and the computer plot backs this up at 1700 then the low may be going to track somewhat further south. A more reliable picture should become available when we get the UK Met 18z Fax chart. If it was only the computer plot then I would be more sceptical but the buoy is normally very reliable.

• Like 2

Posted

Wish I could get down there, trains are still running up to this evening, but like you said I'll be stranded there till 9am at the earliest, and god knows how long it'll take to clear the line if things get bad.Where abouts are you in Southend btw, on the seafront?

I wish I was tonight. I am a mile inland in Southchurch.

Posted

there is a very slight chance that the secondary low will end up dying out and we will just be left with the main low to the NNE ?? now that would be very embarrassing, i know that a sting jet has been forecast to give the storm its power in the early hours, but some elements are currently missing. the main one being that there is currently no real organised rotation around the secondary low?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

People don't need to criticise the met office. It doesn't help anything. In fact the met office is doing a great job of tracking the storm tbh.

• Like 1

Posted

Hang on to your hat - you may well need to eat it tomorrow Posted Image

Funny it is all the ones who are not even due to experience this storm who keep wanting to downgrade it but the more knowledgeable METO still aren't downgrading.

Anyway, I was woken at 5:00am this morning by gusts up to 50 knots so I am off to get some sleep early as I expect if it comes off as planned then it will wake me soon enough.

Not talking about you of course Pixel.

Edited by coldfingers
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

So much hype over an ordinary winter "storm". I predict a lot of egg on faces tomorrow. No model is now indicating anything like what has been speculated.

and that's no yoke ? you serious ?

Posted

Looking at that data from the buoy, it does seem to indicate that the low is not deepening as much as predicted during yesterday and is quite a bit further east than those tracks suggested. If this is so and the computer plot backs this up at 1700 then the low may be going to track somewhat further south. A more reliable picture should become available when we get the UK Met 18z Fax chart. If it was only the computer plot then I would be more sceptical but the buoy is normally very reliable.

But doesn't it have to engage with the Jet stream before it powers up?  If the jet stream is buckling right over the UK, then the power up will happen over the UK, the fact that it is further east already, could be because the Jet is more powerful than forecasted.  

The storm isnt forecast to develop much until this evening, and then develop rapidly. It's a tough one to call. Still possible that winds of 60 to 70 mph will affect much of the south - whilst these winds may not seem too severe, combine them with wet ground and trees in leave. Also, with leaves blowing off trees its likely to block drains and lead to enhanced flooding, more-so than may normally be expected.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Buoy No 62163 is now at 40 Knots = 45 MPH (That's sustained speed I think) and pressure lowering rapidly 

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.php?station=62163&meas=wdpr&uom=E&time_diff=0&time_label=GMT

Edited by EML Network
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

If anything the wind has calmed down on the south coast if you tap the animation on here --> xcweather.co.uk  you couldn't make it upPosted Image

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

You might be right John I had a peak at this one. http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.php?station=62163&meas=pres&uom=M&time_diff=0&time_label=GMT

Further south and east and dropping pretty fast. The others are now rising.

Posted

But doesn't it have to engage with the Jet stream before it powers up?  If the jet stream is buckling right over the UK, then the power up will happen over the UK, the fact that it is further east already, could be because the Jet is more powerful than forecasted.  

I have no up to date information on the jet nor indeed the actual position of the surface low so really cannot make comment. If the low is not into the Bristol Channel by 00z then it will show it is tracking further south, if it is then the predictions will have been correct. I will wait until I see the Met O 18z Fax chart before making any assumptions or predictions.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Check the below link out, then open another tab and load the same page, but alter the time to 18:00 on this one and toggle between the 2 pages. Between 1700 & 1800 the system moves North, not North East or East, North? Was not expecting it to move North, or is it just me?

http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?map=eur_full&date=2013102717&size=large〈=en&area=eur

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

If anything the wind has calmed down on the south coast if you tap the animation on here --> xcweather.co.uk  you couldn't make it upPosted Image

It was progged to by the models, nothing unusual going on. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

People don't need to criticise the met office. .

In need I have put some heavy plants against a fence , if the storm comes it might stop the fence blowing down. If the storm doesn't come the fence wont get blow down. Winner all around.

This has been a well forecast storm and if it track 100 miles further north or winds not as strong as predicted lets hope the Met don't get a bashing.

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

It's raining lately here in Exeter and there is hardly any wind, hopefully the calm before the storm...I know it's not meant to be stormy until 12ish but so far it's hard to imagine that we will be getting 70mph + gusts

Posted

http://bcove.me/6thswd3z

Latest from the Met although im not sure the exit for the low will be the wash area, im sticking with the exit point been Norfolk/Suffolk with the strongest winds south of the exit and the heavy rain to the north