Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 3

Coast

Posted

Can anyone give me a quick update? Because I've been to work! Has it downgraded/stayed the same/upgraded since this morning about 11? Thanks in advance!

stayed  the  same

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Thanks. I will don't worry, if it gets too bad, I'll just view it through the window.

best to probably park up by the livermead just to be cautious.....quick walk down to the seafront if it's not too choppy....(born and bred in Brix, so know Torquay very well :) )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Ian Fergusson â€@fergieweather 51s

W COUNTRY CONTD... with potential for short phase 80+ mph especially #Somerset from #Burnham up into #Bristol, N Somerset, #Mendips, #B&NES

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Posted

Do not think this is a downgrade.

Lots of people talking about such things but i think that maybe we need to look and compare the actual charts.....

If we take the NAE latest 12z and the previous 06z and look at something really basic like the mb gradient at 3am we get the following pictures.

06z low of 976mb and the gradient to the south coast(978) of 2mb.

12z pushes the LP further north slightly giving a very small centre of 974mb, but 984mb along the southcoast straight down the low again around bouremouth.

This give is a much bigger 10mb gradient in only a 3hr model run difference.

Such small differences make big changes and this trend could well continue yet.....

Sorry if this has already been posted. :)

post-6326-0-36777800-1382891850_thumb.gi

post-6326-0-89907600-1382891857_thumb.gi

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, warmth, and thunder.

I don't know whether to believe the predictions from the Weather Charts, Weather Videos or the Online Weather Forecasts, they all show different predictions for my area tonight into tomorrow and they all got the wind speeds from earlier on today incorrect. They forecasted 18mph winds today and the wind speeds peaked 28mph with gusts reaching 45mph, this however caused very little damage here, however no weather warnings were issued for today. Tomorrow an Amber Wind Warning is in force for my area and all areas to the South and slightly to the North of me, however the Met Office predictions show wind speeds only reaching 25mph here and gusts at 45mph which is quite a rise from the earlier prediction of 18mph winds and 38mph gusts. Although I believe the Flood Warnings will probably be necessary here because the River Avon water levels seem fairly high at the moment.

Being in Stratford-Upon-Avon we are not actually very well sheltered from wind, however strong winds are rare here. I have added the current forecasting differences below from several weather sites and other sources, only showing the strongest wind predictions and rain predictions.

NetWeather: 26mph Wind, 53mph Gusts, 5mm Rain

Met Office: 25mph Wind, 45mph Gusts, Heavy Rain Mainly

ACCU: 20mph Wind, 45mph Gusts, 20mm Rain

Zoover: Force 3 Winds

WeatherOnline: 14mph Winds, 19mph Gusts (!)

Weather Channel: 19mph Winds, 40mph Gusts

MetCheck: 15mph Winds, 30mph Gusts

XC: 15mph Winds, 32mph Gusts

BBC Weather Video: 80mph Gusts

NONE of these are accurate!

Posted

Ian Fergusson â€@fergieweather 51s

W COUNTRY CONTD... with potential for short phase 80+ mph especially #Somerset from #Burnham up into #Bristol, N Somerset, #Mendips, #B&NES

That would be the "pressure surge" that was mentioned earlier. Might see a red warning for that later?

Posted

Can we please be sensible alot of information will be coming in over the next 12 hours or so.

For those that wish to moan. Netweather have provided you with a whole thread where you can moan to your hearts content

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/76235-model-banter-moans-and-ramps/

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The NAE is pretty much the extreme solution at the moment with all other models showing the storm leaving the country with a central pressure between about 975mb and 978mb, compared to the 972mb of the NAE which has the strongest winds, especially for East Anglia.

Edited by Captain shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

At such short time range, the best course of action is to use the high-res NAE and NMM models rather than the GFS. Neither of these show much of a "downgrade".

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Ian Fergusson â€@fergieweather 21s

W COUNTRY CONTD So hopefully a rather short-lived phase of highest risk circa 03-06GMT but very dangerous crosswind M5 jcns 20-23 especially

Personally I think a red warning will be issued by the met office tonight around the whole coast of Southern England.

Edited by interestingweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

If we get lucky, Downing Street might be sucked into a twister. fingers cross.Posted Image

• Like 8

Posted

best to probably park up by the livermead just to be cautious.....quick walk down to the seafront if it's not too choppy....(born and bred in Brix, so know Torquay very well :) )

Good advice, not to sure about the walking, think it might be safer in the van. Going to play it by ear, if it looks to nasty out there might just give it a miss.

Posted

Good luck all, stay safe, stay sensible, see you the other side of the storm Posted Image

Why? Where you going? Other side of the channel? :-D Hope you got your passport in your pocket ready for your very bumpy landing!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Remember the GFS is a global model and isn't designed for short term, inter regional detail. I may be wrong but I doubt the GFS takes into account tropographic and local environmental nuances when calculating windspeeds to a specific, small scale region.

Much better sticking to high res modelling now such as the NAE and NMM and also flirting for information from UKV, EURO4 and ARPEGE etc.

Even better of course is to watch satellite imagery and see how things develop live. Posted Image

Regarding the latest GFS - I think some need to read the above by AWD, as it has been repeated by him as well as other posters several times at least.

It makes me wonder if people read much at all on here? Posted Image

• Like 6

Posted

I really can't see what you find silly about urging people to have torches and radios ready, It really doesn't take a lot to bring down trees in the kind of winds forecast and downed trees frequently means downed power line also. Better be prepared than stumble to the loo in the dark in the middle of the night like I did in '87. Feeling blind isn't fun and there wont be street-lights shining in the windows if it happens.

Edited by coldfingers
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

I would love to be able to get to Southend tonight, tide times show a high tide at 5am, which is pretty much perfect!

I can get up there easy as c2c are still running, trouble is getting back!

Part of the rail line at Chawkwell is say 5-10 meters from the sea wall, I can't see c2c operating between Benfleet & Southend tomorrow morning Posted Image

Posted

Isn't the NAE one of the models the MetO trust the most? People should be careful what they wish for anyway, wonder if those on here saying its a downgrade will be happy if it 'upgrades' and the roof of their house gets damaged or a tree uproots and destroys your car? Stay safe guys, I do love the extremes weather throws up, just please people do not do anything stupid to endanger yourself and/or others.

• Like 3

Posted

I would love to be able to get to Southend tonight, tide times show a high tide at 5am, which is pretty much perfect!

I can get up there easy as c2c are still running, trouble is getting back!

Part of the rail line at Chawkwell is say 5-10 meters from the sea wall, I can't see c2c operating between Benfleet & Southend tomorrow morning Posted Image

Get a kite, you can fly home:)

Posted

Taken from Brighton Argus.

http://www.theargus....ath_of_St_Jude/

Helen Chivers, forecaster for the Met Office, said the worst of the storm would hit at around 5am.

She added: “First we will get the torrential rain. That should be around 9pm and it will continue until midnight.

“Then at about 4am to 5am you will get the strong gusts.

“They will be in the region of 70 mph to 80mph and in some more exposed areas up to 85mph to 90mph.

“They will start to die down around 11am and the speeds should fall off fairly rapidly after that.â€

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this has been posted, but between 1500 and 1600, observations show K1 dropped from 995.1mb to 991.9mb - a pressure drop of 3.2mb in an hour. It seems that Jude is still on track and intensifying fast.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/marine/observations/K1_table.html

Edited by Sainsbo
  • Like 3

Posted

just gonna have to watch and wait on this time, it is still shown to deepen as it crosses the Uk , But doesn't seem to want to complete the development until it reaches Norway. To be honest on Satellite it is hard to see at the moment , and on GFS looks more like it has an open circulation , and really just merging with the other low to it's North. I have a feeling it won't have the impacts of a mega storm like the papers are all saying, And using the word hurricane strength winds is just worrying people for nothing .. In reality were not even likely to get tropical storm force sustained winds  ... I expect inland were looking at 25-30 mph gusting 40-50mph , on Southern Coasts and the Bristol Channel gusting 50-70 mph. 

lol, bet the Americans are laughing there socks off

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

I really can't see what you find silly about urging people to have torches and radios ready, It really doesn't take a lot to bring down trees in the kind of winds forecast and downed trees frequently means downed power line also. Better be prepared than stumble to the loo in the dark in the middle of the night like I did in '87. Feeling blind isn't fun and there wont be street-lights shining in the windows if it happens.

No street lights in my road now anyway, they get turned off a midnight. Which is lovely for the star gazing, won't be for the snow lamp post watch though.

• Like 1