Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 3

Coast

Posted

http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com/current/satellite/eastern-atlantic-ocean-ir-satellite-loop.html

seems slightly  more north

Edited by tinybill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

David Cameron chairs emergency meeting with key officials to coordinate plans to protect the public from the approaching storm.

An amber weather warning has been issued across large parts of England and Wales as a hurricane-strength storm builds over the Atlantic and moves towards Britain. Meteorologists have warned the fierce winds of up to 80mph and torrential rain  - which will first strike the south-west of England  - could leave a trail of destruction as the storm sweeps north-east across the country, damaging buildings and bringing down trees and power lines. Prime Minister David Cameron said he had chaired a call with Government departments and agencies to hear about their plans to "ensure people are protected from tonight's storm". Frank Saunders, Chief Forecaster at the Met Office, said: "We are confident that a severe storm will affect Britain on Sunday night and Monday.

"We are now looking at refining the details about which areas will see the strongest winds and the heaviest rain.†The much-anticipated storm has been named St Jude after the patron saint of lost causes, whose feast day is tomorrow.

Roads may also be hit by flash flooding, bringing rush hour traffic on Monday morning to a halt, and homes could be flooded. Insurance companies have advised households to take steps to protect themselves and their property. People should also establish evacuation plans, place valuable items upstairs to limit flood damage and ensure gutters are clear so water can drain away. The Environment Agency says 20-40mm of rain could fall within six to nine hours. It has teams working to minimise river flood risk, clearing debris from streams and unblocking culverts, and are closely monitoring water levels so they are ready to issue flood warnings if necessary.

http://news.sky.com/story/1160250/storm-britain-braced-for-hurricane-speed-winds

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

I've noticed we've been removed from the warnings for wind.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

looked at the warnings a few mins ago on the met, seem to have both amber and yellow warnings, amber through the night yellow for part of the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yes we have as well it comes as no surprise given the gusts forecast for us are no worse than today

Posted

Unsurprising really, disappointed as well i was really looking forward to some good gales .

• Like 1

Posted

Some of these warnings dont add up with whats being said on here and tv. Nowcasting is your best bet i think.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Seems to me that it is perfectly "usual" but that it is going to affect the south rather than the north. I've seen and heard nothing which doesn't sound like the weather we get in Autumn.

What I meant by unusual is that instead of the low forming across the Atlantic and moving towards us, it is developing in close proximity, hence why it's a forecasting nightmare. Nothing unusual about it's strength though, I agree
  • Like 1

Posted

its not very good out here today heavy rain and strong winds, keep an eye on the track of this storm if you can, if it goes North into Cardigan bay it will take in more of South Wales into the 60+ mph winds....but if you are in any doubt move the kids anyway, we have done so a few times in the past, and on one occasion exiting the rear of the house at 2am in the morning as the front part of the house roof was dissapearing down the road tile by tile....... if some people on here think 70-80mph is a damp squib...your welcome to come and sit under it......Posted Image

thanks for that we thinking of sleeping downstairs now wind is getting worse have just had to recover my garden table from next doors fence and kids bikes from the bottom of the garden 

• Like 1

Posted

The Met O udpate remains at just below red for the areas outlined in their update and shown by a couple of posters above. Somehwat less in area for wind problems and it looks like about 10 mph off the top wind speeds quoted. Still a serious potential for damage in the areas they highlight. So a slight decrease in depth of the low thus not as far north as say the 12z Met Fax chart yesterday but heavy rain for some areas as well as the fairly high risk of storm damage in the areas highlighted. 

• Like 3

Posted

I don't envisage anything stronger than I have already experience. I wasn't old enough to be aware of the 1987 storm.

It has been publicised as a big big event but then that'll always be the case.

A post from the MO suggested gusts of around 48mph for here and areas surrounding with 60 or so on the coasts. Doesn't seem much worse than we have had in past years to me.

Edited by rmc1987

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

BBC news have it as the worst storm inh 5 years and not since '87 now anyway.  Still a big one though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, blizzards, thunder snow, thunder and lightning, heat waves, tornadoes

Hmm, does this mean no upgrade to red then?  I was quite looking forward to seeing that on the MO as it's not often you get to see it.  Still can't rule out some nowcasting and an upgrade to red later as it remains clear that it's difficult to get a precise handle on things.  As it currently stands, the Southernmost parts of the UK are in for a jude awakening.... (get it?!).  Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

Hmm, does this mean no upgrade to red then?  I was quite looking forward to seeing that on the MO as it's not often you get to see it.  Still can't rule out some nowcasting and an upgrade to red later as it remains clear that it's difficult to get a precise handle on things.  As it currently stands, the Southernmost parts of the UK are in for a jude awakening.... (get it?!).  Posted Image

Very Good!!

• Like 1

Posted

My area on met office is down as yellow warnings tommorow for rain and then on here warnings for high winds and rain.

Posted

Right warnings fully updated so here's what we have now Amber wind warning Wales, West and East Midlands, London and South east, south west England All other areas not listed above have no wind warnings at all with the yellow warnings removed Rain warnings North east and west England, Yorkshire & Humber, West and East Midlands, south west England, Wales And not forgetting the east.All other areas not listed above have no rain warnings

Posted

bring  back bad memories  of 26 years ago getting woke  up at 2.20 in the  morning

Posted

Right warnings fully updated so here's what we have now

Amber wind warning

Wales, West and East Midlands, London and South east, south west England

All other areas not listed above have no wind warnings at all with the yellow warnings removed

NOT CORRECT    Amber wind warnings still in place for East of England

Edited by eastcoaster
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Got to admit I'm a bit puzzled by the term widely. I would have thought widely would mean most of England for example rather than far Southern mostly coastal regions and the south east..

Actually a dumb comment by me as they are still not confident in the track hence they've got to say widely.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 2