Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 3

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Virgins

Just a quick question, Im in Bournemouth south coast, and the wind has really picked up, Got a major headache coming too and my wife is just saying she feels very heavy and tired and gone to bed, could the pressure dropping do this? Cause our body to feel heavier?

Thats due to the increase in gravity that accompany low pressure systems.The opposite is true during anti cyclones, you might have noticed when you throw a ball it takes slightly longer to come down.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just a quick question, Im in Bournemouth south coast, and the wind has really picked up, Got a major headache coming too and my wife is just saying she feels very heavy and tired and gone to bed, could the pressure dropping do this? Cause our body to feel heavier?

Yes. I noticed I used to get them when the air pressure dropped. But I was later diagnosed with hypertension, high blood pressure, and now I'm on medication, low air pressure has no effect - could be worth getting your blood pressure checked. It's symptomless, but if I forget my pills, the headaches come back.

• Like 1

Posted

It's got nothing to do with pressure drops. Driving down the road you will get a more notable pressure change for every 8 metres drop or rise. More likely dehydration.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

John Holmes says as they deepen they tend to turn to their left. In this case that means further north which is exactly what the '87 one did.

Some years ago I saw another early morning depression (not in the psychological sense Posted Image ) which was supposed to hit the Hants, Sussex, SE go due north in the space of half an hour and hit Teignmouth and Dawlish in Devon instead.

Yes, if this depression rapidly deepens before it reaches the UK, the track would be further north (i.e turn more to the left). It doesn't really show rapid deepening on GFS until over the North Sea when it comes under the left exit of the jet aloft.

I guess with the '87 storm, the models didn't expect the low to deepen as much as it did so early on, with a track over France rather than S Britain.

• Like 4

Posted

The slower the storm rides the jet, the likelihood increases of it being further northerly. As I mentioned last night with so many tree's succumbing to elm disease and such just with the current wind projection alone it's more than enough to bring the diseased tree's down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: High winds, snow, thunder!

I'm in Hayling Island (south coast) winds been picking up. Is this the start of things or not? I was watching a windsurfer holding on for dear life this morning going pretty fast, he was the only one out there. Probably hit France by now!

All of today's strong winds are just the weather fronts and squall lines ahead of the storm system, so it's a totally separate area of low pressure but the energy being created by the current low will give fuel for the secondary low to feed on. I remember the October 2000 storm, like this weekend the whole weekend was quite windy in the build up to it, then there was the main event which again was on a Sunday/Monday night strangely enough.

• Like 4

Posted

A handy rule of thumb is that a low will travel parallel to the warm sector isobars until it starts to occlude, then it will run parallel to the isobars just ahead of the warm front thereafter

• Like 1

Posted

What happened overnight? At this stage, this system is hardly a storm! Some severe winds in the channel but otherwise just a windy day.

I would imagine today feel as windy as tomorrow morning apart from along the southern coasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Is there any news for the next weekend storm? I heard from someone here its gonna get stormy again next weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

The wind everyone is experiencing on the S.Coast right now is NOTHING to do with the one coming, the wind we have right now is associated with the mush larger LP system centred to the West of  Scotland. 

• Like 1

Posted

Is there any news for the next weekend storm? I heard from someone here its gonna get stormy again next weekend.

As with any passing deep low pressure system, even if tonight's 1 doesn't live upto the hype there are usually secondary lows brewing behind it especially as the Jetstream would appear to be particularly active at the moment and we are experiencing unusually mild / boarder line humid temperatures at the moment!

• Like 2

Posted

Incidentally the wind is getting quite strong even here now, gusting towards 40mph my guess.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Certainly no sign of a big wobbling HP to settle things down...in fact the complete opposite is more likely Posted Image

I really hope there is another storm on its way next week or so. If so, Tonight's storm probably a teaser.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 1

Posted

I suspect today will be a windier day than tomorrow for most.

Here are the 10m wind charts now and during the secondary low passage through the south of the UK

Posted Image

During 'Storm'

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It doesn't feel as windy here as it did yesterday evening. WSW winds don't do much here, today's high gust for me is 25mph, whereas yesterday it was 32mph.

45mph to beat though, can it be done tomorrow? Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

It doesn't feel as windy here as it did yesterday evening. WSW winds don't do much here, today's high gust for me is 25mph, whereas yesterday it was 32mph.

45mph to beat though, can it be done tomorrow? Posted Image

when you wake up tomorrow morning the otherside of poole you can let us know :)

• Like 3

Posted

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-Surf-Chart/1/#?chartType=WMAG&_suid=138287271641709294796908624633...........

the week ahead looks unsettled, one strong system after another.....and looking at this next Sunday could be interesting in my location!!!!

Edited by PEMBS PIRATE
  • Like 1

I heard on the national TV forecast earlier on Andrew Marr that there where 80mph gusts in south Wales last night!

That was in Pembrey at 81mph, but might have been a rogue reading.

Certainly a lot of Coastal stations currently recording 60mph gusts atm.

Down here today looks more stormy than tomorrow, if the models are correct.

Edited by J10
  • Like 2

Posted

Gatwick's 1100Z TAF now backed down slightly to 35 gust 60 kt, from 40 gust 63 kt earlier. Heathrow still 35 gust 60.

Amsterdam 45 gust 60 for a four-hour period from 1000Z tomorrow

Edited by Su Campu

Posted

You're forgetting that this event hasn't arrived yet. Things could still change in this volitile set up, even though we are less than 24 hours out. This is not a usual set up, especially as the storm is intensifying so close to the UK.

Seems to me that it is perfectly "usual" but that it is going to affect the south rather than the north.

I've seen and heard nothing which doesn't sound like the weather we get in Autumn.

Can someone tell me if it is going to be worse here in South Wales tomorrow than what it is today...trees are not looking good out in my back garden so don't know weather or not to move the kids from the back bedrooms..

At this moment it is looking like today will be windier than tomorrow for most of South Wales unless the storm intensifies more than currently projected.

Edited by J10
  • Like 2

Posted

The BBC "Weather for the week ahead" should be starting at about 1.10, after the lunchtime news. That should give more of an idea about the MetO's thoughts on the overnight runs. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

when you wake up tomorrow morning the otherside of poole you can let us know Posted Image

lol - yesterday i was concerned, today i'm a bit more relaxed. While it will be extremely gusty, current projections have really taken a dip on speeds, most of the folks will be asleep during it and will probably not even hear anything. I'm still heading out of course,and safety in mind. :)

• Like 1