Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 26/10/13 16z----->

A.J

Posted

After the coldest night of the Autumn with a low of -2.0c, the first frosty morning of the Autumn quickly changed from glorious sunshine to slate grey skies.

Currently grey and 4.8c, ick.

Posted

Here is a report for today.

Quiet, cloudy, chilly.

Feel free to copy and paste those 3 words during the next few days to save time when posting your reports.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Here is a report for today.

Quiet, cloudy, chilly.

Feel free to copy and paste those 3 words during the next few days to save time when posting your reports.

You missed one other word,  To most of us its most fancied of late..... DRY Posted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted

t-x1.... This is the day (Sunday 14th December 1981) that it all started for me! Buried under snow and making an igloo in the back garden.....Oh those were the days Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

cloud started to roll in from the east around 11pm last night. before that got down to -2.9C, have a feeling cloud will not go now

Posted

Just look at the latest that the models are throwing out Posted Image That'll stop you drooling..... lol Posted Image

Mull of Kintyre .....It ain't for me either Posted Image lol

• Like 1

Posted

Mull of Kintyre .....It ain't for me either Posted Image lol

I thought we agreed last year, any mentions of that infernal song are to be avoided at all costs?!! Posted Image

Seriously though, that chart you posted earlier from Dec 1981 is a thing of beauty Posted Image

Bish

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

t-x1.... This is the day (Sunday 14th December 1981) that it all started for me! Buried under snow and making an igloo in the back garden.....Oh those were the days Posted Image

Posted Image

Monday 14th Dec, uppers dont seem too cold

Posted

Yes -4 to -5 uppers is marginal ! But we had 12" overnight Saturday and carried on most of Sunday, I was ten at the time and hadn't got a clue about weather back then,

But looking back now the key was it snowing at night and just how heavy it was, was a key factor, But it wasn't just the Midlands the south and southwest had it also.

If you look at the Dam-528 line on both days, Well south of us.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Whoops!...Sorry Sunday going into Monday, Come on......It was many a moon ago Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Yes -4 to -5 uppers is marginal ! But we had 12" overnight Saturday and carried on most of Sunday, I was ten at the time and hadn't got a clue about weather back then,

But looking back now the key was it snowing at night and just how heavy it was, was a key factor, But it wasn't just the Midlands the south and southwest had it also.

Also, I think I'm right in saying that those sort of marginal scenarios are the ones that often give the most copious amount of snow, because the flakes are so much bigger?

I believe the snow falls in Feb 2007 (or possibly 2009, can't be sure which) was one such example whereby the uppers were actually very marginal.

Bish

• Like 1

Posted

Also, I think I'm right in saying that those sort of marginal scenarios are the ones that often give the most copious amount of snow, because the flakes are so much bigger?

I believe the snow falls in Feb 2007 (or possibly 2009, can't be sure which) was one such example whereby the uppers were actually very marginal.

Bish

Yes unless you've got very cold air in place ie, In coming from the east i think all uk snow fall is marginalPosted Image

"marginal scenarios are the ones that often give the most copious amount of snow, because the flakes are so much bigger" Absolutely Bish,

Snow from the east with very cold air tends to be powdery, You can 4-5 hrs of snow and only have 1" to show for it... Now that's just not good at all.

But then a front coming in from the west and hitting cold air and stalling over us, Well a good 8" ....Now that's what were talking aboutPosted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Light shower of sleet falling here at present. Temperature is 2.8c.

• Like 2

Posted

From a cold/snow perspective, the rest of the forum makes for some rather underwhelming reading this morning. Seemingly little on the horizon in terms of the model outputs or the Strat outlook.

It's all looking a bit "meh" at the moment, isn't it? Still very early though I suppose. Plus, last winter didn't really get going until mid-January.

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

From a cold/snow perspective, the rest of the forum makes for some rather underwhelming reading this morning. Seemingly little on the horizon in terms of the model outputs or the Strat outlook. It's all looking a bit "meh" at the moment, isn't it? Still very early though I suppose. Plus, last winter didn't really get going until mid-January. Bish

Thinking of going back into hibernation frankly.Sigh.
  • Like 1

Posted

Afternoon all,  Theres plenty of doom and gloom regarding cold and more importantly snow, Well we are still 7 days away from winter yet and people are going on (Model thread)

as if winter's over,  The mind boggle's Posted Image Anything past 72h-96h is not set in stone. We have more or less a week yet then proper winter actually begins and alot can happen

between now (25th nov) and then (1st Dec).

The trouble is folk look at the charts and what to see a winter seasonal brew of cold and snow, Sometimes you have to look at the longer picture! Baby steps that's what i say.

Some hope for coldies.... If you look at the (Diagrammes GEFS Chart for CET), Past the 2nd Dec there's not much agreement between the members and theres plenty of cold and very cold scenarios in there..... So where there's uncertainty there's plenty of room for change  Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

In the Midlands for a few days, just watched the Midlands Today forecast and he said "we are looking at a very, very cold night indeed" - with temperatures on the map of just 0c! The Midlands is going soft...

• Like 1

Posted

I thought we agreed last year, any mentions of that infernal song are to be avoided at all costs?!! Posted Image

Bish

"TX1 you & me are gonna fall out someday soon lol"

Don't be like that! Bish.... he-he... Remember 'We to all stand together' Posted Image

Posted Image Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 2

Posted

In the Midlands for a few days, just watched the Midlands Today forecast and he said "we are looking at a very, very cold night indeed" - with temperatures on the map of just 0c! The Midlands is going soft...

Had to laugh at that myself with temps in the country widely at a freezing,extremely,very very cold..... wait for it.......-2 Posted Image  ... Anyway,Come on the baggies Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Had to laugh at that myself with temps in the country widely at a freezing,extremely,very very cold..... wait for it.......-2 Posted Image  ... Anyway,Come on the baggies Posted Image

That's why I'm home for a few days, I've got my Arctic exploration gear ready for tonight for the extreme cold :D

• Like 1

Posted

I'm pretty sure you'll squeeze a proper curry in Nick..Midlands the curry capital lol Posted Image

As for very, very, very cold...steady on? these are perfectly normal temps Charlie Slater! Maybe a -8 and below we're getting there.

I got one in on Saturday night, don't worry about that, much better than the mildly spicy water that southerners call curry :D

It was bizarre. I only had it on in the background and heard him talking about bitterly cold temperatures etc. I looked at the screen expecting -5c in city centres - but it was at freezing in most of them! He even said "these are the temperatures in the towns, so in the country it will be even COLDER" - man up...

• Like 2

Posted

"In the Midlands for a few days, just watched the Midlands Today forecast and he said "we are looking at a very, very cold night indeed" - with temperatures on the map of just 0c! The Midlands is going soft..."

lol just to put that into context, it is almost three years to the day since my local weather station recorded an overnight low of -8.5, easily the coldest November temp for many years round these parts Posted Image

I must have found it terribly exciting, because that very same day I finally plucked up the courage to become a member of Netweather Posted Image

Bish

Edited by Bishop Brennan
  • Like 2

Posted

lol just to put that into context, it is almost three years to the day since my local weather station recorded an overnight low of -8.5, easily the coldest November temp for many years round these parts Posted Image

I must have found it terribly exciting, because that very same day I finally plucked up the courage to become a member of Netweather Posted Image

Bish

I always read your posts in Len's...sorry...Bishop Brennan's voice :D

And how I wish we could go back to the good old days of a few winter ago Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Blimey!

• Like 1