Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 26/10/13 16z----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Dying a death very quickly now..... Boooo

Posted

Well, it developed a hole that went around me and then the bulk of it changed direction and went 10 miles to the west of me!!! ><

It's happening again!! WTF!

Just glad in one way ! Just imagine if it was proper chucking down and then all the juicy stuff would of miss us, I would be buying new toys tomorrowPosted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

rain here too and a bit windy. I c some posters r comparing this nov to nov 62 then again that's in the md thread and at the moment that thread is a free for all, 1 may say its on the edge of going to james madden quality lol only joking just incase i afend any1. Of course it's not been helped by the ecmf toying with another northerly at it's usial time of 240h away.

• Like 1

Posted

Cold air, where art thou? Just spits of rain at the moment- the main thing isn't any cold, it's this wind which has got worse in the last 2 hours and must be close to gale force now. Certainly the strongest wind this autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Milder air has fed in from the North Sea overnight and all the snow has thawed. Current temp' is 3.8c, with rain showers.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

No snow here TM at my location, a little sleet mixed in was the best i got.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

No snow here TM at my location, a little sleet mixed in was the best i got.

Quite surprised at that, P.M. It must be down to intensity of precipitation at the time as the snow resulted from evaporative cooling, rather than from a cold air mass.   

I hear that several roads in north Derbyshire, including Snake Pass, were closed temporarily due to the snow. Certainly not that much here but it was nice to see it white over for a few hours.

Posted

Yes the rain/sleet only turned moderate at times, nothing heavy enough for evaperative cooling to take place. Once again this just shows what a little more elevation and a few miles can make localy round here from one hill to another in these types of set-ups.

Posted

And so it begins, slate grey skies and 5c, looks like the initial cold grey outlook has changed to a very mild one for next week now after a chilly Monday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

yeah, wed 27th looking very mild, although is only November, cannot expect cold until after Xmas really

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

well it's not very inspiring model outputs today from what i can make out. Though next week or so looks boring to say the least.

Posted

The models change and they will i'm sure, It's just we are always looking for 'Al inspiring outputs day in day out' for cold and snow, But it's never going to be that way.

TBH i'm just glad that the outlook seems to be on the dry side, Started to get fed up with this rain! So yes it may be boring but at least its dry Posted Image

Posted

This was a little something i posted a few days back in the winter thread, it just shows how things can change so quickly.

So when you mention how things don't look "very inspiring in the model outputs" just look back at 2010Posted Image

Infact this first chart looks very similar to what the GFS is forecasting for this coming Mon/Tues.

Just been looking back at Dec 2010 This is what the GFS gave out deep into FI on the 30th Nov for the 16th Dec

Posted Image

And this is what we got  So don't give up just Yet.

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Tum - te - tum.

Anyone fancy a game of monopoly whilst we wait for this weather to do something more interesting......?

• Like 1

Posted

With me having King's Cross & Fenchurch Street Stations, Hopefully come the end of next week the Polar Express will come in, “All Aboardâ€Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

I agree.  I would rather have the milder weather at the start of winter than in the middle or end as in my experiences, cold starts to winters have resulted in relatively mild and snowless winters as a whole.  In 1963 in the lead up to one of the coldest and longest winters since the 18th century, it was unseasonably mild during December and only changed when the cold and snow arrived on Boxing Day and then lasted for more than 2 months.

Posted

Getting cold here now, 2.2C and just 0.7 mph wind from the north. Decent breaks in the cloud, have just put my scope out for a look at Jupiter latter Posted Image  

Posted

Ground frost here for the past hour or so. Beautiful blue skies and sun today, dry and no wind. Lovely. Certainly beats the rain.

Posted

Very frosty start to this morning, Ran out of de-icer so had to revert back to the good old ice scraper Posted Image Got down to -1.8c last night.

Still only at 3.8c at midday can't see it getting much above 5c today.

Posted

Harshest frost yet last night (Harsh might not be the best adjective, but you get what I mean!). Would expect one or two moderate frosts by now. Even though the temperatures are below average, everything does seem to happening on time for once. We're not having to wait until December for the first frosty nights yet we're not shovelling snow in November either. The seasons seem better aligned this year. So if that was to continue, on a normal year, I would expect to see the first lying snow between Christmas and New Year.

Of course, the whole of the above is a load of tosh because how often has the weather done things 'on time'? You can't set the weather targets to meet every year! (e.g. You must provide a moderate frost by the end of November and snow by New Year)

To sum it up, I suppose what I'm saying is that there doesn't seem to be any surprises or anything too out of the ordinary yet this year. (For the Midlands anyway)

On a different note, was just looking at a thread on another forum about late November 2010 and remembered how we still had a 3 to 4 week wait to get our turn for anything significant. Although there was a snow cover here by the end of November, it wasn't much more than a cm or 2. (There was an amazing hoar frost on the 7th December though)

We then entered 2011 expecting the best weather year ever after that amazing month...(I don't need to go on!)

Edited by Gord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

freezing fog earlier with a min of -1.5C, high pressure staying close, pleased GFS is trending away from the wet weekend 30th to 1st