Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 26/10/13 16z----->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Hi Bish "December 2010 was such an astonishing month for sustained cold, it was bound to completely overshadow the rest of that particular winter."

How right you are, Plus the brilliant white Xmas we all had Posted Image Tobogganing down the park on christmas day was memorable, My kids will never forget  2010.

• Like 1

Posted

How right you are, Plus the brilliant white Xmas we all had Posted Image Tobogganing down the park on christmas day was memorable, My kids will never forget  2010.

Recent winters have been fantastic round these parts, haven't they? Thinking about it, every winter for the past five years has had at least one significant cold snowy spell, some of which were real stonkers. All a far cry from the 1996-2007 wilderness years.

BRING ON THE SNOW!!!!! Posted Image

Bish

• Like 2

Posted

Temperature seems to have taken a tumble here, but in reality only just under 1C. Just feels like a lot more than that.

Is that a Cheshire Gap streamer with snow?

post-7706-0-11654400-1384785723_thumb.gi

Edited by picog

Posted

5.5c here was 7c earlier in the murk....cleared for a while but residual cloud from showers in irish sea has now enveloped glossop....

Lighting fire tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

There's only one word to describe the next 7-10 days if tonight's outcome come to fruition and that's...........YAWN.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Hi Bish "December 2010 was such an astonishing month for sustained cold, it was bound to completely overshadow the rest of that particular winter."

It was great yeah, and Xmas day was my coldest day, -11.2C min and -5.1C max, with snow on ground

• Like 2

Posted

Loving the recollections back to 2010 and the reminders that we've done well in recent years. Good timing for such discussion. Worth remembering for when we next get a stinking and boring winter. I was fearful that 2011/2012 marked the return to boring winters...and the first half of 2012/2013 looked like it. But once again, we came up trumps.

Can we get lucky once again this winter? Our luck will have to run out one year!

• Like 2

Posted

One thing I've noticed this year and whether there's any link or not? Mainland Europe is usually freezing cold meanwhile we (Uk) more often that not usually sit right on the edge of the cold/mild boundary...no sign of this as yet. When we freeze sometimes the likes of E Europe and the Balkans even Russian can be relatively mild too, or the really cold stuff eases somewhat. It seems as if cold and mild conditions occasionally swap between the more traditionally colder zones and us.

Interesting times and whatever we get this week, there's still three months plus to play with Posted Image

Yes winter 2011-12 was infuriating for the former, cold all over Europe but only reached eastern Britain for a few days, and didn't really make it here at all. Seeing that snow in Rome just after we'd had rain on that Saturday it was supposed to snow just summed up that winter perfectly!

Posted

Yes winter 2011-12 was infuriating for the former, cold all over Europe but only reached eastern Britain for a few days, and didn't really make it here at all. Seeing that snow in Rome just after we'd had rain on that Saturday it was supposed to snow just summed up that winter perfectly!

Was okay here, we all expect to much I think, early feb we had an easterly, and feb 4th was a snowy day from a battle, not as good as Jan 17-18th or mar 22-24th but still good

Posted

Was okay here, we all expect to much I think, early feb we had an easterly, and feb 4th was a snowy day from a battle, not as good as Jan 17-18th or mar 22-24th but still good

Feb 4th 2012 that was it, all we got was hours of rain with a few ice pellets. The deep cold just wouldn't move far enough west, Wales had rain as well even on the hills. 

Posted

most of the snow remained on 5th in thick fog, but turned milder on the 6th

just looked back at archive charts and can see the -4 line just about over the West midlands, can see from it that Shrewsbury is under milder uppers

Edited by IrememberAtlantic252

Posted

Yes, 4th February 2012 was definitely one of our lucky moments here. Still breath a sigh of relief when I remember that. Really lucked into that one. Saved what would have been a dire winter!

Isn't it great that on these forums years such as 1979, 1987 and 1991 aren't mentioned as much as they were used to because we now have plenty of more recent examples to draw upon! (1947 and 1963 will still come up for many more years yet...I'm sure!). Although 2009-2013 still doesn't match some of those past cold spells.

If time travel is ever invented, I suppose the first trip better be back to 2007 to post how we really don't need to worry!

Edited by Gord
  • Like 1

Posted

Make the most of the sun tomorrow folks, I have a feeling it may be the last time it's seen this month, on paper the charts would suggest the perfect setup of sunny days and frosty night's but we all what's really coming, a Telford special. 

Posted

Make the most of the sun tomorrow folks, I have a feeling it may be the last time it's seen this month, on paper the charts would suggest the perfect setup of sunny days and frosty night's but we all what's really coming, a Telford special. 

the latest GFS run looks ugly, very damp weekend coming up, could do with the high further south to centre the high over us, rather than to the north giving us a nuisance value easterly

Posted

Didn't it even snow in the likes of the Balearics or was it Athens? Now that does rub salt lol...that cold air I mentioned, once it's in place it hardly ever shifts some years? occasionally flirting with more east/south eastern areas..then a quick trip to the Netherlands can make a massive difference in terms of temps and weather.

Can get a bit heated in model-chat when that happens, scrapping over the left over dregs Posted Image

Not sure about the Balearics, it was that rugby match in the snow in Rome that sticks in my mind. I remember Jerusalem getting a massive dump of snow in one of those awful late 90s winters (98/99 or maybe 99/00?), seeing the pictures and thinking "it hasn't done that here in years".

• Like 1

Posted

Got light snow forecast here in the morning for an hour or 2 according to the met and then a max of 4c not too shabby then wet Wednesday boo :(

Posted

It's clear at last, maybe a frost finally? But doubt any snow will stick, the ground is just saturated and must be very warm for the time of year, nothing short of a 27 Nov 10 blast would overcome it. Need a run of frosty nights first.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

october 08 was good heavy rain turnd to snow and we did had setteling snow wich turnd to ice the next day. I can't c tomorrow turning out like that, i hope it does though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

No snow here but I see Flash Bar has a thin cover from overnight showers http://www.flashbarstores.co.uk/

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A slight covering here TM. 0.2mm

Posted

A cold morning here temp now -0.2c,  Dp -0.7c, Wind Chill -3.1c.