Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion 26/10/13 16z----->

A.J

Posted

*Yawn - Stretch - Blink* Is it that time already?

Like hibernation in reverse, I wake up to life back on the Midlands thread.

How was your summer Bish?

Well, my garden's pretty much ready to be put to bed now, just a couple more things to sort, and then - bring on the snow!!! (The first hint of which is showing for me in the Accuweather forecast for a week on Friday. Unlikely to transpire, but fun to see....)

Eyes down, look in, here we go!

Fizz Posted Image

Yay, Fizz is back with us, a sure sign that winter is nearly here! Posted Image

To be honest I'd convinced myself that we wouldn't be seeing any white stuff this side of December, so I'd stopped checking the models thread - what's all this talk about the latest charts?

Bish

• Like 1

Posted

Beautiful day here in Northants..

Been popping in and out of this site during the summer months. Good to see the usual gang members on here..

Fingers crossed for a long hard winter..

• Like 1

Posted

Not managed to 'hibernate' completely over the summer months as the thundery outbreaks of late July lured me back in!

Anyway...

As late Autumn is now in full swing, a few thoughts from me...

Hopefully, should have our frost during the next week or two. Possibly even tonight. It has come so close on previous nights but just not quite there yet.

As we all know, our first frost can be quite late. We've had harsh winters in the past where the first frost didn't appear until December. So the earliness or lateness of cold weather really doesn't tell us much about the season ahead. In fact, I'm sure at least once the first snow arrived before the first frost!

In the last week of October, I was thinking back to two particular years. 2008 when it snowed in the last week of October and 2011 when we reached the mid to high 20s. I love Autumn, it's so all over the place and tells you next to nothing about the approaching winter. Just how weather should be!

Edited by Gord
  • Like 3

Posted

Couldn't agree more Gord - lost count of the times when an early cold snap, raised expectations, only to be followed by weeks upon weeks of mild, wet drabness..and nothing else came close to it.

The signs may well be tentative at the moment, but they are there - may seasons be seasons again Posted Image

...and on the other side of the coin. Last winter got off to such a poor start with the models playing quite nasty little tricks in their long range output. Then it all turned around in mid January. I think the day that we manage 100% accurate 3 month weather forecasting will be the day I lose interest!

Posted
In the last week of October, I was thinking back to two particular years. 2008 when it snowed in the last week of October and 2011 when we reached the mid to high 20s. I love Autumn, it's so all over the place and tells you next to nothing about the approaching winter. Just how weather should be!

We got up to a sweltering 28.2c on the 2nd of October that year.........I even took a screencap of the historic moment lol:

post-13544-0-07425200-1384093400_thumb.j

Bish

• Like 1

Posted

We got up to a sweltering 28.2c on the 2nd of October that year.........I even took a screencap of the historic moment lol:

Posted ImageImage1.jpg

Bish

It was an extraordinary month. Safe to say temperatures like that are done with for 2013 now! Been trying to think of amazing Novembers of the past. Only the second half of 2010 springs to mind (and 1995, but I lived in Lowestoft then!).

Like October 2011, November 2011 was very mild too wasn't it? (although I wouldn't class it in the 'amazing' category....far from it actually)

Edited by Gord

Posted

It was an extraordinary month. Safe to say temperatures like that are done with for 2013 now! Been trying to think of amazing Novembers of the past. Only the second half of 2010 springs to mind (and 1995, but I lived in Lowestoft then!).

Like October 2011, November 2011 was very mild too wasn't it? (although I wouldn't class it in the 'amazing' category....far from it actually)

November 2012 will always stay lodged in my mind, simply because of the very stormy and windy weather at the latter end of the month. Great stuff.

Bish

Posted

1988 was a pretty good November: very sunny, frosty first half and then that snowfall on the 20th. That was the only decent snowfall I remember between Jan 1987 and Dec 1990, that November was the coldest month of the winter. 1993 memorable second half, and 2010 for its unforgettable last five days (on the 28th, the temperature at noon was -5C!). Mild Novembers are invariably dull and damp; 1994, 1997, 2002 (really horrid month), 2009, 2011 no thanks!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

1988 was a pretty good November: very sunny, frosty first half and then that snowfall on the 20th. That was the only decent snowfall I remember between Jan 1987 and Dec 1990, that November was the coldest month of the winter. 1993 memorable second half, and 2010 for its unforgettable last five days (on the 28th, the temperature at noon was -5C!). Mild Novembers are invariably dull and damp; 1994, 1997, 2002 (really horrid month), 2009, 2011 no thanks!

'96 was the best Nov for here, charts don't look great for cold and snow just yet, but is only 10th Nov, hopefully signs of snow for low levels appearing in the models for Dec

Posted

2c damp outside..... Was really beautiful today....bright sunshine, blue skies.... Cold though max of 4c at 2pm.... Great roast and great birthday.... Looking forward to winter up here after yesterdays hail/ winterwonderland....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Heavy rain now, was looking so good for a frost earlier and this rubbish turns up! When will we see a dry day????

Maybe wednesday, tomorrow looking wet, maybe just morning, and Thursday is looking an absolute washout

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Heavy rain now, was looking so good for a frost earlier and this rubbish turns up! When will we see a dry day????

You had it yesterday!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

You had it yesterday!

It was stunning here yesterday, Bit on the chilly side though Posted Image So the beer garden was well out of the Q Posted Image

Maybe a week from now i don't think it will be rain we will be worrying about Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted

Sleet?.....Early days i know Posted Image  But with cold like this anything falling from the skies will be very wintry Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

It was stunning here yesterday, Bit on the chilly side though Posted Image So the beer garden was well out of the Q Posted Image

Maybe a week from now i don't think it will be rain we will be worrying about Posted ImagePosted Image

Yesterday was certainly glorious here. It says something about how wet it has been recently that Sunday was the first time since my Dad came out of hospital a few weeks ago that we finally managed to get him safely outside for a shuffle around the back garden.

Of course, he still found something to gripe about though.............apparently the sunshine was too bright Posted Image

Bish

• Like 2

Posted

Bish....A pair of these might help in getting your dad around the garden a little quicker....Lol, Plus he might be a little too busy to have a gripe about anything then Posted Image

Glad to hear he's on the mend Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 1

Posted

Another wet morning here, plenty of rain the last month. However a lovely sunny day yesterday here which was nice and lifted moods. Still struggling to find the time to come on here as I am very busy at the moment but is nice to see the updates from others, thanks

• Like 1

Posted

Poured down with rain for a time this morning, rather mild and muggy now at 15c but very dark all day. 

Posted

One of the thickest fogs I've seen in quite some time this evening. Still feels very mild too.

• Like 1

Posted

One of the thickest fogs I've seen in quite some time this evening. Still feels very mild too.

yep fog is quite dense just drove from kford  clear as a bell, as you start to to climb  fog becomes quite dense