Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 26/10/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hammering down with rain here. Winds of 23mph. Just had a gust of 34mph so pretty wild alreadyz

Posted

Hi Reef, hope all is going well in your seaside pad?

We have arrived in West Wales and all is quiet now.  It was lively on the latter part of the drive across the northern edge of the Preselis and when we got to our destination it was hammering down for an hour or so. The waterfalls at Cenarth were raging and the Teifi was high, almost to the top of the arches at the Cilgerran bridge.  We will be on the beach early tomorrow so we can use the low tide to hop across the stepping stones that straddle one of the inlets on the estuary, and which will lead us beyond the dunes into the teeth of the early day wind.  As the day goes on I am looking forward to the increasing need to hunker down and see what happens, I don't think we will be on the beaches or on the high cliffs once the storm makes landfall!.

Fire lit.  Fish and chips sorted.  A week ahead of weather and the chance to breathe out as the storm steams in.

AS 

Enjoy it, Pembrokshire is a great place  --  and generally the buildings are (very) well built

• Like 1

Posted

Do that journey myself every day,i`ve already told work i`m no way donning the leathers and getting on the bike monday morning,The M2 bridge @ rochester is iffy at the best of times!

Some very iffy spots on the way in...the small gaps where powerlines etc go across can catch you out and put you in another lane.....  if I get home ok I am due back Monday night....might take a long time.

Posted

hi sarah

if you can change the day

that would be better

unless you are trying to get out if it

then i cant help you with that Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Ooooh, it's time for me to wake up from my summer hibernation ;)Good evening all! Hope everyone is safe and well!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Great Storm of Oct 87
It was very exciting but scary for me, I was 14 living in Braintree, Essex at the time.

My mother had gone to London because Grandmother had passed away, ironic because grandmother was scared of the wind,

so it was just me and the dog at home.

Went to the local petrol station at 22:30 with a mate to buy sweets, the weather was very mild,with light rain and just a light breeze.
Fell asleep on the sofa but woke up at midnight to the sound of the wind and rain against the windows,went back to sleep,woke up at 03:00 am to the dog whining,the video recorder lights flickering, due to power going on and off.

The noise of the wind was like standing next to a busy motorway,  interspersed with tiles falling, and a shed rolling around outside! 

Couldn't go back to sleep, so at first light went to see my friend across the street.

His Mum informed us that  school was closed.

By 08:30 the wind had dropped to just a puff, so us boys went out,  saw hundreds of trees uprooted but some were literally snapped in half,like they had been twisted off halfway up the trunk.

A whole line of 5  asbestos garage roofs blown off laying 50 metres away in a field!

Then we went to town, to see roof tiles everywhere,overhead power cables hanging down in the road dancing with blue sparks shooting from the ends.

Chimney stacks blown off roofs. Took Mum the whole next day to get back from London.

Was a once in a lifetime experience,and with the snow in January,the flooding in September,it was a great year for weather. 

• Like 6

Posted

Enjoy it, Pembrokshire is a great place  --  and generally the buildings are (very) well built

Hi NNW, yes, centuries of experience here of weather!  We've been coming here for decades, it's my fahter in law's  old family house, my wife been coming here since a baby (45 years back) and me to a slightly different part for even longer.  I love it here.  There are houses which have beautiful slate tiled roofs, properly nailed down, but what they tend to do is pile mortar into the gaps because the nails won't stop the slates lifting when the wind blows hard and long.

AS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Just in case you've missed it on the dedicated storm thread the wave has now developed....

post-10773-0-90025600-1382821443_thumb.j

this is the water vapour image posted by Jo Farrow

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yes John 2 days training for new system not a preference !

Anyways why is it do gusty already ?!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

Hi Looby, hope you had a good summer. Thought I would be back on here for the first hints of snow not a big storm ....

Hello! How are you!? Im good thank you had a great summer many days and evenings at the glen how was yours? I know! Ive veen on and off but thought I wouldn't be on half as much untill the first signs of snow :)
  • Like 1

Posted

(*insert whatever expletive you like here*) hell check out the updated wind gusts map from Met Office 80 mph here, 86 for Brighton.

Can't work out why Hailsham's meant to get stronger gusts than than Eastbourne, though, (and far worse than Herstmonceux) which it seems to be according to the five-day forecast table.

Posted

Hi NNW, yes, centuries of experience here of weather!  We've been coming here for decades, it's my fahter in law's  old family house, my wife been coming here since a baby (45 years back) and me to a slightly different part for even longer.  I love it here.  There are houses which have beautiful slate tiled roofs, properly nailed down, but what they tend to do is pile mortar into the gaps because the nails won't stop the slates lifting when the wind blows hard and long.

AS

I'm originally from Merthyr in South East Wales, been in Norfolk long enough to ALMOST be a local (30 yrs+) fond memories of going to Tenby and Saunderfoot as a child.

Could be horrible there late tomorrow, your neck of the woods (and Cornwall/Devon) get it first, stay safe, enjoy what ypu can and keep us informed Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Posted Image http://uk.weather.com/story/news/severe-weather-outlook-st-jude-day-storm-28th-october-2013-20131023

Seriously Folks, Monday "STAY" at home, Move your car away from tree's, Ironically on ITV 2 + 1 (TWISTER) is showing.

• Like 3

Posted

Can't work out why Hailsham's meant to get stronger gusts than than Eastbourne, though, (and far worse than Herstmonceux) which it seems to be according to the five-day forecast table.

Nope neither can I. I'm only saying what chart is saying.

Posted

Posted Image

front shown incoming at 18.00

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

theres the kiddie getting closer

Amazing to think that something currently looking so innocuous (and at 1007mb) is going to turn into a beast.....

• Like 3

Posted

Nope neither can I. I'm only saying what chart is saying.

Didn't think you weren't. It's odd, though.