Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 26/10/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Really blowing a gale outside here on Poole Harbour; husband's app claims gusting up to 50 tonight, don't much fancy how it would sound at 70+ especially as the gate of the construction site over the road is banging so loudly I can't imagine any sleep will be possible. Seems unlikely we will stay tomorrow night now, and unfortunately we seem to be in for rain tomorrow anyway, so may be driving home in rain, albeit not driving rain as long as we get going in time.

Hi, hope you do drive home tomorrow because as you say, it wont be a nice day with gale force winds and rain along the South Coast anyway. Come back in summer, much more fun then. Wishing you a good drive home.

• Like 1

Posted

what is COBRA?

Hi, It's where the government's cabinet group coordinate emergencies in room A. = Cabinet Office Briefing Room A

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

what is COBRA?

C.O.B.R.A: Cabinet Office Briefing Room A. Its an emergency meeting council, held in Downing Street within cabinet office buildings.

i would not normally do this

if you have travel arrangements made for monday

please change them

in my eyes it would not be worth the risk unless absolutely essential

not scaremongering

just want people to keep safe

Good call JP.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

The chat channel is at the top of the page..."Forums....Members...Blogs....Gallery ...Chat....Calendar"

Bring a bottle! 

By this time tomorrow i can see it being the better way to keep up to date with things and being easier to report from your location on current conditions.

Edited by anything-but
  • Like 1

Posted

please change them

not scaremongering

Would you recommend me not commuting into work for an hour by train then?

Also what do you reckon is gonna happen to schools? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Is it not Half Term now. Trains won't run Monday if Cobra been called.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any weather

please change them

not scaremongering

that is kind of chilling...

Edited by legrandefromage
  • Like 1

Posted

Schools closed next week for half term, as for travel to work can you work from home?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Hi   anything-but I would join you but I am on shift Sunday night ,I will be monitoring this site all night so will be at the party but soberPosted Image ,

not looking forward to the 65 mile drive home from London to Herne Bay!!! it was quite gusty and wet on the drive in tonight but it will not compare with whats due...

Do that journey myself every day,i`ve already told work i`m no way donning the leathers and getting on the bike monday morning,The M2 bridge @ rochester is iffy at the best of times!

Posted

Really blowing a gale outside here on Poole Harbour; husband's app claims gusting up to 50 tonight, don't much fancy how it would sound at 70+ especially as the gate of the construction site over the road is banging so loudly I can't imagine any sleep will be possible. Seems unlikely we will stay tomorrow night now, and unfortunately we seem to be in for rain tomorrow anyway, so may be driving home in rain, albeit not driving rain as long as we get going in time.

Hi Reef, hope all is going well in your seaside pad?

We have arrived in West Wales and all is quiet now.  It was lively on the latter part of the drive across the northern edge of the Preselis and when we got to our destination it was hammering down for an hour or so. The waterfalls at Cenarth were raging and the Teifi was high, almost to the top of the arches at the Cilgerran bridge.  We will be on the beach early tomorrow so we can use the low tide to hop across the stepping stones that straddle one of the inlets on the estuary, and which will lead us beyond the dunes into the teeth of the early day wind.  As the day goes on I am looking forward to the increasing need to hunker down and see what happens, I don't think we will be on the beaches or on the high cliffs once the storm makes landfall!.

Fire lit.  Fish and chips sorted.  A week ahead of weather and the chance to breathe out as the storm steams in.

AS 

Edited by abruzzi spur
  • Like 2

Posted

As said before, if this weather does get very bad please stay at home and spare a thought for those in the emergency services and essential services that need to be out there.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

John please tell me not to drive to Maidstone for computer training at 9am

Blunt, u should wait till snow risks begin

• Like 1

Posted

SE Trains on Twitter saying services on Monday might not start until 9 or 10am. Another reason to work from home!

Curiosity will ensure I'll have to at least be on the platform for the probably non existent 0638... At least I can say I was there!

Posted

A lot of people on this tonight go away for ten mins another three pages appear

It's taken me 15 minutes just to get back into the forum; when I try to scroll back it just crashes on me:(

Posted

The chat channel is at the top of the page..."Forums....Members...Blogs....Gallery ...Chat....Calendar"Bring a bottle! By this time tomorrow i can see it being the better way to keep up to date with things and being easier to report from your location on current conditions.

sorry I'm on my phone so cannot see it that is why I asked for a link
  • Like 2

Posted

http://www.telegraph...say-police.html

THE TELEGRAPH:

Storm warning: keep 999 lines free during hurricane-force winds, say police

Public must not clog up 999 lines with non-emergencies during the impending 'St Jude's' storm, say police, as forecasters predict hurricane-forcewinds of 80mph or more

Police have urged people to keep emergency lines open during hurricane-force winds by only dialling 999 to report genuine emergencies.

Heavy rain is due to arrive in southern Britain within 24 hours as a prelude to one of the most powerful storms to hit the country in decades.

The Metropolitan Police said callers should refrain from using 999 unless they required an immediate response, and all other calls should go to the ‘101’ non-emergency number.

A spokesman said: “The Metropolitan Police Service is reminding Londoners to dial 101 when contacting police when it’s not an emergency with expected increases in demand brought about by high winds in the next few days.

“Calling 999 when it is not an emergency can reduce our effectiveness at dealing with genuine emergencies.â€

As hurricane-strength winds sweep in from the Atlantic, parts of England and Wales can expect nearly two inches of rain in a six hour period - enough to cause some localised flooding.

Forecasters say the exact arrival time and course of the winds remains uncertain. But predictions of the main area to be hit remain largely unchanged, with the storm expected to affect large swatches of England in a band south of mid-Wales to the Wash.

The peak of the storm is currently predicted to be between 3am and 6am on Monday, with winds of up to 70mph in the affected area and gusts of up to 80mph battering the south coast and exposed areas.

The Met Office has put the storm zone on amber alert, meaning residents should "be prepared" for potential disruption, including power cuts and fallen trees.

It has been named the St Jude Storm after the patron saint of lost causes whose feast date is on Monday.

Forecasters have compared the wild weather to the Great Storm of 1987.

“We expect strong winds, possibly up to 70mph in some inland areas and 80mph on the coast,†said Eleanor Crompton, a Met Office forecaster.

“The wind is our greatest concern but in terms of rain it looks as if the highest total throughout the event may be around 70mm [two and a half inches] in isolated locations.

“There is a risk of some parts getting 50mm [two inches] in a six hour

People living in the affected parts of England and Wales have been advised to prepare for the high winds by lashing down garden furniture and other loose outdoor items.

Ferry services have been cancelled on Sunday and Monday between Plymouth and Roscoff as well as Penzance and the Isles of Scilly.

Brittany Ferries, which runs the Plymouth-Roscoff route, said on its website: "We are in the process of contacting all passengers booked on these sailings. We apologise for the inconvenience the cancellation of these services will cause."

The weather is also expected to cause serious problems for commuters at the start of the working week.

Darron Burness, head of the AA's flood rescue team, said: "If the predicted storm strikes, the timing couldn't really be worse, potentially causing significant travel disruption on Monday morning, which is one of the busiest times on the roads.

"Strong wind and torrential rain is an unpredictable and hazardous combination, which can be quite overwhelming when you're driving.

"There's likely to be tree and other debris on the roads as well potential flooding, so it's very important to keep your speed down and drive with great care, particularly on country roads early on Monday morning when it's still dark."

The storm is expected to last until late on Monday evening.

The weather system has been caused by an area of extremely low pressure and fuelled by the remnants of two storms from the North American continent.

Nick Prebble, a forecaster at MeteoGroup, said: “There will still be some uncertainty about the nature of storm over the next 24 to 36 hours.

“There are still some question marks over what the strongest gusts will be.

“Heavy rain will precede the strongest winds and I wouldn’t be surprised if it caused localised flooding, particularly as some parts will have saturated ground from showers today. The rain will ease as the winds come in.â€

It came as veteran weatherman Michael Fish warned people to “batten down the hatches†and keep checking the forecasts as a powerful storm heads for British shores.

The 69 year-old forecaster, who famously failed to predict the Great Storm of 1987, said it is too early to calculate exactly what form the impending gale would take.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

i would not normally do this if you have travel arrangements made for monday please change them in my eyes it would not be worth the risk unless absolutely essential not scaremongering just want people to keep safe

this doesnt sound good

Guest bjaykent

please change them

not scaremongering

Hi John,

sounds like good advice to me, keep the roads clear for the emergency services who no doubt will be very busyPosted Image

• Like 4