Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 26/10/13

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

What does mb dropping mean

mb stands for millibars (a measurement of the air's density, or in other words how heavy it is).

The air pressure is falling. This is what you would expect to happen with any approaching depression (Low pressure system, storm, whatever you want to call it).

Just to add to that, it is this pressure difference which causes wind. The greater the pressure difference over a given distance, the stronger the wind will be. That's why we look at how close the isobars (lines which link areas of the same pressure) are to each other. The closer they are, the bigger the pressure difference, the stronger the wind.

Edited by suffolkboy_
    • Like 2
    Posted

I'm crouched under the stairs holding a metal tray above my head, laptop in hand (well almost) . Tins of fruit, baked beans and bread, milk (which I've kept in my cooler bag). I've tied down the wheely bin with a metal chain (just in case :)  )  Is the storm here yet?!

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails

what sort of figure are we waiting to see - pressure wise?

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Location: Mile Oak, 3 miles West of Brighton UK, 130 Meters above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme
  • Location: Mile Oak, 3 miles West of Brighton UK, 130 Meters above sea level

Absolutely chucking it down here and the wind is really picking up. just had a gust of 43 knots = 50 mph !!

http://www.shorehambeachweather.co.uk/

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Some rather dark echoes on the radar returns now, plenty of dark red. Heavy Rain could be a major talking issue if the winds *don't* end up as bad as forecasted. 

Yup, plenty of dark here too...

post-9147-0-06487700-1382911579_thumb.jp

• Like 1
    Posted

Belting it down with rain here in Reigate... Just remembered to take the washing line down in case it fancied visiting the neighbours' geraniums - I came back soaked!

Not much evidence of the wind yet - it was wonder this afternoon... No doubt it will wake me in the night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yup, plenty of dark here too...

Posted Imageciderrr.jpeg

Pass me one please matey!

Rain just turned heavier here, wind incidentaly 15mph, so dropping still. However wind gusts on the coast and SW just increasing, so we may still get some big gusts! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Thoughts with young lad and family :(

I did lots of silly things as a kid , kids don't think like we do

• Like 9
    Posted

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations

looking at pressure on here and wind maps

i would not be surprised to see this shift north again

hard to call but keep watching as winds are still likely to be strong for us

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Am I right in hearing the latest gfs shows change of track into Holland?

Slightly more southern track?

Hi all by the way!

Posted Image

Indeed, GFS has been showing a more southerly track for the last few runs. I said yesterday morning that I thought this is what the most likely outcome would be.

Originally it looked as if the 'storm' would undergo rapid deepening as it approached the UK and reach its peak as it crossed. However, it looks as if, from what we can tell, that the low hasn't interacted with the jet stream quite as we first thought. It looks as if the depression will still be deepening as it crosses the UK and probably will become its strongest as it crosses the North Sea (giving Denmark some pretty nasty weather).

There is a chance that East Anglia, especially Norfolk could see some strong gusts as its last remnants head off over the North Sea, but this is very sketchy thinking at the moment and by no means guaranteed. 

Posted

Just read a tree got blown down today on the A127 on the Dunton Exit slip road, I drive this route everyday back from taking hubby to work in Brentwood to go to Stanford (where my son goes to school) slightly freaked! Thank God its Sunday :/

post-13283-0-31559700-1382912541_thumb.j

Posted

Belting it down with rain here in Reigate... Just remembered to take the washing line down in case it fancied visiting the neighbours' geraniums - I came back soaked!Not much evidence of the wind yet - it was wonder this afternoon... No doubt it will wake me in the night!

Hello GP, thanks for the update from the home town.  Though I have to say that your post has made Reigate sound slightly dull.  Washing lines and geraniums?  Surely there's more to the old place than that - we have a burgeoning neighbourhood watch scheme, a local paper that comes out weekly, some nice hills, and, most importantly, the ability to look up online what's happening with the latest roadworks.  So it's quite an edgy place really. 

AS

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Raining heavily now here and wind picking up. Pressure is falling - now 991.5.

Think I will head off to bed and try and get a few hours sleep - no doubt will be up at some point in the night. BBCSouth East has just said the strongest winds will be from 5 am onwards. Isn't that later than was first predicted?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Time for a few hrs kip till the wind wakes me up......see you in the early hours!  

Stay safe all.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Feb 2018 Easterly

Night all, Getting up early. Take care.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow, snow......... Snow

Rain fairly hard here in Bexley. Well, sounds like it is on the velux windows in the loft conversion. Thinking about it, is the loft the best place to be?

Posted

Stay safe out there to anyone who has to be out there working, got a few friends out there tonight working and know they are already having a tough night :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

nout here... just a bit of rain so far