Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 26/10/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

right well im off now to carve pumpkins and make pie have a good day everyone Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

not too bad here there was a scary time around 7-8 am when the house shook and only because folks had battened down the hatches was there not more damage.

we lost a fence panel,weather vane and a door mat!!

just about everyone of my friends ive spoken to this morning has lost there garden fence,tree ect so always good to know in advance

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Alex Deakin says there may have been a sting jet this morning. I think our area has come out relatively badly. The helter skelter on Clacton Pier has collapsed too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

We had a 2 minute spell of very strong winds here, and I was driving at the time. A giant conifer fell right infront of me. If I had been 2 seconds l had been 2 seconds earlier it would have been on top of me!

Edited by suffolkboy_
  • Like 1

Posted

The helter skelter on Clacton Pier has collapsed too.

:(

The helter-skelter at Clacton Pier has blown down after Essex was hit by strong winds. Tendring District Council said it collapsed early in the morning, but the structure had not fallen into the sea. Eyewitness Chris Woodley said the slide appeared to have fallen on to the amusement arcade and the rollercoaster looked like it was "breaking up". The pier's owner is at the scene assessing the damage, but did not wish to comment. Another eyewitness said: "It was the tallest thing on the pier, the kids loved it."

A council spokesman spoke of disappointment at the ride collapsing, saying: "Any of the main rides on the pier are crucial to Clacton." He added that so many trees had also fallen down in the district, it was "running out of chainsaws".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-24702946

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Morning. Hope everyone is ok.

Was very windy here for a time. Large branch snapped off a tree here in the park. Wonder how kew gardens has faired, just down road from us here.

Trains and tubes are struggling I see, due to debris on tracks.

Posted

Time to see what the rest of the week holds for us weather-wise. I've been so focused on this morning's event, I've no idea what is following it!Posted Image I'm guessing unsettled, before I check.

• Like 1

Posted

Update 9.15am
Suffolk Police continue to respond to incidents relating to the current stormy conditions being experienced by the county.

Police have taken nearly 200 weather-related calls between 8am and 9am. On an average day, we take around 500 calls in 24 hours.

The vast majority of these relate to trees across roads and power lines coming down.

Incidents of note include the following:

• a lorry has overturned on the Street at Mendlesham.
  • a double-decker bus overturning into a field in Coram Street, Hadleigh. All passengers are off the bus but the driver is being treated for injuries.
  • several incidents of trees coming down onto cars.

The Orwell Bridge remains closed, with diversions in place.

Posted

Now the sad bits:

A teenager in Kent and a man in Watford have been killed by falling trees as a storm batters parts of Britain.

Around 220,000 homes are without power, while rail services across much of southern Britain have been cancelled as high winds bought down trees. Network Rail said the damage was "worse than expected," while 130 flights have been cancelled at Heathrow airport. The Met Office said a gust of 99mph (159km/h) was recorded at Needles Old Battery, Isle of Wight, at 05:00 GMT.

A 17-year-old girl suffered fatal injuries when the tree came down where she was sleeping in Hever, Edenbridge, at about 07:20 GMT. A man in his 50s was pronounced dead at the scene after a tree crushed a red Peugot 307 at Lower High Street in Watford, Hertfordshire, at 6:50 GMT. Next-of-kin have been informed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24699748

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Seems really odd to go out and see most trees bare now when yesterday they were in full leaf. It's like winter happened overnight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Settled completely down here now, was a bit wild between 6-30am and 8-30am, just one fence panel down so got away with it considering I live in around open farm land, lol

Posted

Calming down here now, gusts only up to 30mph, rain pretty well stopped and quite a bit brighter.  Pressure rising very rapidly

As Coast said, that met my expectations, hats off to all here who kept the hype down and hats off to the UKMO for being consistent (and right) about the intensity and track.

As is usual, lots of variations with some places getting badly hit while others, only a couple of miles away escaping almost unscathed.

Glad most people are OK, sad about the losses others have to bear.

Guest bjaykent

Now the sad bits:

Hi Robin,

sad news indeed and still you see posts around the various threads this morning that this was just an average Autumn storm, 100s if not 1000s of trees down over the south-east, 100 trees down alone on network south-east. I'm sure relatives of those killed and injured this morning don't see it as an average autumn storm.

Ian 

• Like 4

Posted

The sun is shining here in Brighton, wind has died down but still gusting every now and then.  I am completely surprised to see the leaves are still on the trees around and they are still standing - very odd!  Trees have fallen across the city

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Sunny but very blustery still in Ipswich.

My thoughts are with the family's of those killed in the storm. If people have died, then it was as bad as '87.

Question.....what is a 'Sting Jet' ?

• Like 1

Posted

I can hear a few chainsaws going from here. Daughter phoned landlord to report no electricity as water come if from the roof of the flat above and into the electricity of both flats. His response? I have houses with half their roofs off I can't worry about electricity!!! Wonderful man. They have just dried round it and put electric on even though their latest fire alarm test showed the system needed replacing. They will just have to turn the elctric off when they go to sleep! If it is true roofs were damaged then this was one mighty storm!

OT. Does anyone know if they can get an electrician in themselves and charge the landlord? It is worrying me as they are only young.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Latest round up from the SE BBC:

Severe gale force winds, heavy rain and fallen trees have caused disruption across the south east of England. Roads were closed in Kent, Surrey and Sussex, amid gusts of up to 70mph. The QE2 bridge at the Dartford Crossing reopened at about 10.30 GMT. A teenage girl was killed when a tree fell on to a mobile home in Kent.

Dungeness B automatically shut down both reactors after power to the site was cut off. EDF Energy said it was safe and its own generators were on. Firefighters were called to help paramedics reach a motorcyclist who was hit by a falling tree in Four Elms Road, in Edenbridge, Kent. He was taken to hospital by ambulance. A taxi driver had a lucky escape when a tree fell on his car in Eastbourne, but he managed to climb out unhurt.

The Port of Dover was shut at about 07.15 GMT but reopened at 09:10 GMT. It said there may be delays to services. The BBC's Peter Whittlesea, reporting from Dover, said: "Dover Coastguards said that wind speeds out in the Channel have been storm force 11, gusting up to 70mph. Electricity distributor UK Power Networks told BBC News that 40,000 properties between Brighton and Kent were without power. Supplies have also been affected in Surrey and West Sussex.

Coastguards have called off the search for a teenager swept away from an East Sussex beach. Dylan Alkins, 14, had been swimming with friends off Newhaven's West Beach on Sunday afternoon when police said he was "swept away by the current".

'Trees on line'

Southeastern, Gatwick Express and Southern trains were unable to start running services as hoped at 09:00 GMT because of trees on the lines. Southern railways said services on the Brighton Mainline resumed just after 10.15 GMT and urged passengers to check its website before travelling. Southern tickets are being accepted on the Gatwick Express. Services on other routes will resume once the lines have been confirmed as clear. South West Trains said it would not run any trains until at least 11:00 BST. There were at least 30 trees down across its network.

Drivers have been warned that localised flooding could make driving conditions extremely dangerous. The Environment Agency has also issued a number of flood alerts along the coast. A police officer suffered minor injuries when a tree fell in front of his car in Mayfield Flat, Sussex. A man was taken hospital for treatment after a tree hit a car in Ospringe Road, Faversham, Kent. Trees have fallen on the M2, between junction 6 and 7, the A249 Sittingbourne and the A28 at Bethersden in Kent.

There was also disruption on the M3 slip road at junction 4, near Camberley, because of a fallen tree. Strong winds and rain have also made driving conditions on the M25 very difficult. The A25 in Brockham and Dorking and some roads in Weybridge and Epsom have also been shut. Insp Steve Grace, of Sussex Police, said surface water and trees were causing major problems in Sussex. "There are large expanses of water on the roads and you just don't always see them in the dark. Hit one even at moderate speed and you can find yourself completely out of control."

Surrey Police Ch Insp Paul Smith said the weather in the county had not been as bad as predicted and no-one had been hurt, but there was extensive damage to trees, with many down across the county. "It seems to be inconvenience and disruption to traffic as opposed to anybody hurt so in that sense it is good news," he said. "We have got Surrey County Council and their partners working with us and our priority is to get the roads open as quickly as possible."

Gatwick Airport said: "We are currently operating a near-normal schedule this morning. "We do still advise you to check the status of your flight with your airline and allow plenty of time for your journey to the airport."

BBC South East weather presenter Georgina Burnett said: "There have been severe winds this morning, it's quite a gusty day in general with sunshine and showers later on. "Really the worst of it is going to south east Kent, the Dover Straits in particularly, and we could have gusts in excess of 80mph."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-24700978

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

OH took 3 hours to get from Medway to London on the coach!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

well its over. unpleasant yes but not noteworthy here

Posted

Morning all,

Made it into work this morning - managed to get on the first SE train from Dartford to London, arriving at work nearly 2 and a half hours late.  Fingers crossed as the day goes on, the trains start running more services as not relishing the struggle to get back home again!

Winds really peeked here between 6-7am - although we seem to have got off lightly compared to other areas in this region.

Operation clean up begins...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Just looked up 'Sting Jet' on Wikipedia.

• Like 1

Posted

Just looked up 'Sting Jet' on Wikipedia.

Probably for the best. It'd be hard to explain it in a couple of sentences. Posted Image
  • Like 1