Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 26/10/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

A taxi driver has narrowly escaped with his life after his car was crushed by a huge tree. A picture of the badly damaged cab was posted on Twitter by Road Police East Sussex.

Posted Image

It shows the tree splayed across the vehicle in the middle of the road near Eastbourne. Just minutes later Sussex Police tweeted that one of their own cars had been struck by a fallen tree. The Tweet read: "And it happens to us! Police car damaged by falling tree on B2104 Mayfield Flat. Blocked road and brought BT cable down."

Posted

Still a non event here in Peterborough, just pouring down and a bit blowy.  Certainly nothing extreme IMHO.

Posted

I think its over for herne bay

The strongest winds were with this stretch from 6am to 7:30am, wind will still continue to be in the region of 30 to 45mph but we were getting winds with gusts up to 84mph in Whitstable between the earlier times.

Edited by PureOcean
  • Like 1

Posted

Still a non event here in Peterborough, just pouring down and a bit blowy.  Certainly nothing extreme IMHO.

Well out transport network has been wiped out, sirens have been nearly constant (and I only live in a small town), fences are down and a big wall collapsed in our High Street. 

Nothing extreme you say.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I think JP and the Net Weather team and METO should be congratulated. This storm thankfully didn't wind up and cause widespread devastation, but if it had, we were all well informed and well in advance. The fact they can predict this before the low had even started to form is something we could have only dreamed of before '87 storm.It wasn't a non-event. It was what they thought it would be. I would rather be over prepared than under prepared.Thank you.

Absolutely concur with this. Thank you NWTV and the MetO.

As for hyping - my husband comments on UK-DIY where a lot of guys in charge of building sites etc. hang out and contribute.

As a result of him commenting about the storm 5 days ago on the 23rd - they didn't take him seriously, but came around when they heard it on the news a few days ago - they've had the chance to tidy up things and prevent stuff flying into the nearest passer-by (someone was killed in the Burns Night storm by a piece of boarding from a building site which hit them).

So we don't know - maybe the media hype has saved lives.

• Like 3

Posted
Posted

Well out transport network has been wiped out, sirens have been nearly constant (and I only live in a small town), fences are down and a big wall collapsed in our High Street. 

Nothing extreme you say.

Sorry, this was an IMBY post.  Hope everyone is ok in your area.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Looks to be calming down now.  A short-lived but nonetheless vicious event, probably strongest winds I've experienced since 1990.  Kudos to the Met Office; to forecast this so accurately from 5 days out is impressive.  

Right, that's it for the wind, it's November on Friday so the hunt for snow can start in earnest!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Mega storm my I have a problem. Its sunny and a slight breeze here in crystal palace! Never seen such hype over a non event :/ I was expecting more I have to say after the media hyped it up so much.I see people have had damage etc but doesnt seem as bad as it was forcast to be or is it just me?Made me laugh watching the bbc news as a man in dover stood in the sun with no wind tries to say how horrendous it is!

lol, it's all gone here now

Posted

Sorry, this was an IMBY post.  Hope everyone is ok in your area.

No worries. Yes, just making contact with friends. Mainly fence panels and branches. I suspect there will be a few pints sunk this afternoon. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Things calming down here now. Sun is breaking through, but I gather from the Sussex police site that there are 125 trees down on the roads across Sussex. It was a really wild night and I must admit that I didn't get much sleep as the house was rattling and whistling. Thankfully, I can't see too much damage in the garden - it just looks a real mess with bits from the trees everywhere and a lot of standing water on the patio. Temp is currently 13 and pressure 989 mb.

Thoughts go out to all in our region who have sustained damage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

6-8am it was pretty violent here. Plenty of fences blown over, some car sirens going off, a few large branches down in places (surprisingly no trees down in Great Baddow that I know of), leaves zooming around all over the place, TV antennae down, etc.

My uncle in Melbourne (other side of Chelmsford) phoned to say a tree has gone down and crushed a car. That's the worst I've heard of it around here.

Edited by 22nov10blast

Posted

That was a quick and powerful little storm for sure, I have heard on facebook some people thinking it was not much, but that is because it was localized to specific areas really mostly along the south and south east, but areas of Kent I know got battered, and just in my social network over 11 trees are down in peoples gardens and roads and lots of damage from roof tiles, to fences etc... it hit really strong Kent between 6:00am to 07:30am when the gusts caused all the damage, I recorded on handheld 82mph gust but I know there were stronger ones and we had sustained wind in the 40's.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Calmed down a tad here in Ipswich now. We lost power for about 40 minutes from 08:15. Had some fairly heavy rain bit that has cleared I think.

At about 5:30/06:00 I opened my window and every time there was a gust of wind, I could smell something which I found quite disturbing. Strange. It could have been the river I guess and it wasn't a completely terrible smell, but it spooked me for some reason. :(

Hope everyone is ok.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

6-8am it was pretty violent here. Plenty of fences blown over, some car sirens going off, a few large branches down in places (surprisingly no trees down in Great Baddow that I know of), leaves zooming around all over the place, etc.

No trains up to London until midday at the earliest. I walked down to the railway station this morning. Quite a lot of branches down including some on Lawn Lane. A large willow tree down by the river. The last I heard Parkway ( a dual carriageway that runs through the City) is still closed as part of the Premier Inn (can only be 3 or 4 years old) roof has come off and insulation blowing around.

Currently working in my company's Chelmsford office but hope to travel up to my office in Euston this pm.

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted

Hope everyone is ok.

Morning K.

Shaken, not stirred.....

• Like 1

Guest bjaykent

Calming down nicely now, currently waiting for train service info, don't think I can listen to Radio Kent much longer or I might lose the will to livePosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Yes.....thank you to all on Netweather for their splendid updates, charts and warnings. It's this sort of thing that helps to save lives and property.

WELL DONE GUYS. HATS OFF TO YOU (if they haven't blown off already) :)

• Like 3

Posted

Peak wind gusts as of 0800:

Benson 44 mph
Brize Norton 25 mph
Charlwood 48 mph
Gravesend 52 mph
Heathrow 54 mph
Herstmonceux 53 mph
High Wycombe 41 mph
Kenley 51 mph
Langdon Bay 82 mph
Manston 70 mph
Northolt 56 mph
Odiham 48 mph
Shoreham 52 mph
Solent 52 mph
South Farnborough 46 mph
St Catherine's Point 57 mph
Thorney Island 49 mph

Posted

Been out for a walk now round the Bexley area, and hardly any signs of damage, just some moderately sized branches broken off trees.

Looks like we got lucky here