Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 26/10/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

I've just had a text message from Steve C to say his power is down !I assume he's at home in Alresford (near Colchester)

Oh dear not me as yet,steve the other side of colchester.

Although at this very second daughters walked in to me and the virgin tv has gone.

Looking out the conserv window at the winds i have just noticed a few false widow spiders hiding in the corners of the windows with egg sacs aswell!!!

Hope they dont get in:(((

• Like 2

Unbelievable! Neighbours lightweight plastic chairs and table they left out didn't move! Chair were at 45 degree angle leaning on table. And the rickety old fence is still standing proud. No damage I can see at all from front or rear windows. Did get very windy though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

A2 closed at Dartford Heath Coastbound just aeen on jamcams

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy hot summer. extremes of weather

Mega storm my weeble. Its sunny and a slight breeze here in crystal palace! Never seen such hype over a non event :/ I was expecting more I have to say after the media hyped it up so much.

I see people have had damage etc but doesnt seem as bad as it was forcast to be or is it just me?

Made me laugh watching the bbc news as a man in dover stood in the sun with no wind tries to say how horrendous it is!

Posted

Anyone who believed the "Megastorm" nonsense deserves to be disappointed. Meto Office called this very well from a considerable time out. 

It was the media, during a slow news week might I add, who spun this out of all proportion. 

As for people moaning about this being a non-event who are out of the Met Office's "red zone" on that map yesterday, grow up. It's an exceptional event in this neck of the woods. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

hubby has arrived at work at last gillingham turn off was closed

• Like 1

Posted

Very clear live camera at Brighton Beach - www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-watch-live-video-2648442

There is another view on the website for Watersports Brighton cam.

Felt cross and thought it very irresponsible of the cameramen (with swimmers) larking about, paddling/fallin over at the shore, laughing as though it was a risk/fun and showing it live on Sky News this morning. Could encourage youngsters to do the same.

Edited by xxsnowflakexx
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy hot summer. extremes of weather

Sorry I wasnt suggesting that the met office were wrong as some places have seen damage etc

I was only saying how the media have hyped this storm up so much and now look a bit silly. Didnt mean to upset anyone!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Posted by John Holmes in the storm thread.....

Well what is the picture this morning as to how close the prediction came to occurring?

00z position and depth=51n07w and 981mb

It was predicted to be at 50.5N 9.5W depth and a bit below 980mb

So at that time there was nothing wrong with either the track over the pervious 36 hours or how it had deepened.

If you look at the XC chart general track the low runs from south Wales to exit the east coast in the Wash area. The mid week projections and even those in the first part of the weekend were for it to track mid Cardigan Bay to exit north of the Humber. As time went on this was modified to be over or south of the Humber with the actual track as described above. The jet stream had been predicted to be stronger than it turned out to be. Just exactly what caused these factors to be so will need a detailed and comprehensive examination by professionals? No one on Net Wx really has access to enough data to get the total picture.

That said parts of the south coast and areas of SE England and parts of East Anglia had winds very close to the original estimate. The low was only some 6-7mb less deep than predicted. That prediction was made last Wednesday and maintained right up until late Saturday evening. It is quite amusing bearing in mind the stick it gets on Net Weather that the first large question mark on the storm was raised by the 18z run from GFS on Saturday!

So a track some 60-80 miles further south and about 6-7mb less deep. Not a forecasting disaster by any means, not perfect but the actual events did justify warnings although, as outlined above, they covered too large an area. But senior forecasters at Exeter are just like everyone else they do not have hindsight skills in advance!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/ hot not mild muck!

Just starting to really blow hard here 5 miles south of Norwich looks to be some damaging gusts now!! Be safe guys!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Did they close the M2 bridge last night?

• Like 1

Posted

Journey in to Benny Hill less eventful than many other 'normal' days with a lot less traffic and only a slight covering of leaf litter. I did use the major roads though.

Posted

Not too bad around here, a few branches down. But gutted about losing the rowan tree.

post-2292-0-13621100-1382950316_thumb.jp

post-2292-0-34672800-1382950330_thumb.jp

Edited by chilly milly
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

Is there still more to come in the London Region or thats all for today? 

I think its over for herne bay

Posted

Does anyone know if the storm has passed east Kent now. Wondering whether to start my journey Dover to Canterbury, or if this calm is before the storm?