Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 26/10/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Didn't think you weren't. It's odd, though.

I have looked at Herstmonceux, West End which is where Met Office weather station is and then looked at Herstmonceux Castle and they are very different. Maybe something to do with lay of the land or something. Eastbourne may be protected a bit by the South Downs hence slightly lower. No idea really.

• Like 1

Posted

J P - Have you any idea how the Croydon area could be affected if the storm takes the route currently expected? I am hoping that my husband  who travels into London will work from home but myself and daughter work about 5 miles from home in different directions so not sure what to do about that ,main worry is huge tree close to the house -survived the 87 storm and is about 100 years olds hoping it is strong.

Posted

Hello! How are you!? Im good thank you had a great summer many days and evenings at the glen how was yours? I know! Ive veen on and off but thought I wouldn't be on half as much untill the first signs of snow Posted Image

I am fine,at least you won't have the school run Monday,I think it will be busy on here from now on,the bulk of the long range forecast's that I have seen are giving us a far from mild snowless winterPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Amazing to think that something currently looking so innocuous (and at 1007mb) is going to turn into a beast.....

Its the energy it picks up from the Atlantic, Also the Jet is on the move "south" This will be like NOS to it.

• Like 1

Posted

Hi Reef, hope all is going well in your seaside pad?

We have arrived in West Wales and all is quiet now.  It was lively on the latter part of the drive across the northern edge of the Preselis and when we got to our destination it was hammering down for an hour or so. The waterfalls at Cenarth were raging and the Teifi was high, almost to the top of the arches at the Cilgerran bridge.  We will be on the beach early tomorrow so we can use the low tide to hop across the stepping stones that straddle one of the inlets on the estuary, and which will lead us beyond the dunes into the teeth of the early day wind.  As the day goes on I am looking forward to the increasing need to hunker down and see what happens, I don't think we will be on the beaches or on the high cliffs once the storm makes landfall!.

Fire lit.  Fish and chips sorted.  A week ahead of weather and the chance to breathe out as the storm steams in.

AS 

Hi AS

Nice to hear that your journey and settling into Wa-els is going well, you paint your usual lovely picture:)

Sorting out the pad has gone smoothly, however rain and wind is now driving against the window and with it now set to increase tomorrow - when meeting sister and family at Studland (hope the chain ferry is operating!) - we will head back tomorrow early evening so as not to do the return journey in Monday's storm. A bit gutted not to get longer, but some beautiful walks along the beach with raging waves have been had and the mad kitesurfers are very happy indeed, even when the dog licked one of their feet over lunch!

Stay safe, happy and hopefully reporting in the forum tomorrow Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

I have looked at Herstmonceux, West End which is where Met Office weather station is and then looked at Herstmonceux Castle and they are very different. Maybe something to do with lay of the land or something. Eastbourne may be protected a bit by the South Downs hence slightly lower. No idea really.

You're doubtless right - West End is probably better protected by the ridges to the south-west of the village, and being even a couple of miles inland may make all of the difference. 

• Like 1

Posted

Hubby just said anyone who is expecting a courier to deliver their parcel on Monday in Croydon and surrounding area can forget it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Amazing to think that something currently looking so innocuous (and at 1007mb) is going to turn into a beast.....

Same as when the wife was pregnant.

Such a cute little bump.

My Daughter looked so innocent and calm on the scan, but from the minute she came out, all hell broke loose!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Ironically on ITV TWISTER is showing.

I did notice that ......and Perfect Storm is on tomorrow ! Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: lots of snow and cold crisp mornings! thunder storms!

I am fine,at least you won't have the school run Monday,I think it will be busy on here from now on,the bulk of the long range forecast's that I have seen are giving us a far from mild snowless winterPosted Image

Excellent just how I like it ! Yes rather pleased its half term and glad tonights my last night shift!

Posted

hi isabellesnanny

check to see what the met office warnings are tomorrow

strong winds look certain but the low track could still shift

and change where the strongest winds are

i would say if your tree survived the 1987 storm it should be ok

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

Finally convinced my fiancee not to drive to Clapham at 6 AM on Monday from Croydon if the storm is as bad as forecast, especially if it's a red warning, not so sure they will have one though for here.

Posted

Hi JP,

COBRA has now formed due to updated info from the MetO.

Yamkin, I know you love a ramp, but can you actually give a bit more meat around the bones of such a dramatic sentence - ie how you are in the know, what cobra are thinking etc?

I know we are in for a windy time, but even I am struggling to see why COBRA has been called!

• Like 1

Posted

Updated and detailed weather alert just issued:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=weather-alert-status;sess=

Posted Imageimage.jpg

For the first time in my life, I'm pleased I'm not in the Isle of Wight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Yamkin, I know you love a ramp, but can you actually give a bit more meat around the bones of such a dramatic sentence - ie how you are in the know, what cobra are thinking etc?

I know we are in for a windy time, but even I am struggling to see why COBRA has been called!

The panic button has been pushed, Health and Safety has gone 10 fold since 87. Still a windy time could be an understatement, Anything above 50 mph is classed as ("Batten Down The Hatches"). What's in-coming is a true threat to Life. Cobra is about , Casualties, Infrastructure and economy lost trading days.

• Like 3

Posted

The panic button has been pushed, Health and Safety has gone 10 fold since 87. Still a windy time could be an understatement, Anything above 50 mph is classed as ("Batten Down The Hatches"). What's in-coming is a true threat to Life. Cobra is about , Casualties, Infrastructure and economy lost trading days.

Mind you, back in 1987, the health and safety brigade wasn't around. Maybe that explained the lack of METO warnings?! Edited by snow raven
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

It's okay folks, the 18z Pub Run has gone doollally and the storm threat has all but disappeared apparently :-)

• Like 3

Posted

It's okay folks, the 18z Pub Run has gone doollally and the storm threat has all but disappeared apparently :-)

Gotta love the 18z pub run!  The big downer on the weather rollercoaster!

• Like 1

Posted

Hi AS

Nice to hear that your journey and settling into Wa-els is going well, you paint your usual lovely picture:)

Sorting out the pad has gone smoothly, however rain and wind is now driving against the window and with it now set to increase tomorrow - when meeting sister and family at Studland (hope the chain ferry is operating!) - we will head back tomorrow early evening so as not to do the return journey in Monday's storm. A bit gutted not to get longer, but some beautiful walks along the beach with raging waves have been had and the mad kitesurfers are very happy indeed, even when the dog licked one of their feet over lunch!

Stay safe, happy and hopefully reporting in the forum tomorrow Posted Image

Cheers Reef, glad to hear you are properly set up in the place, all sounds wonderful!  I'll certainly be posting over the next few days and hope to hear from our SE thread that it has been wild and exhilarating, but no more than that.

'Wa-els': thanks, that's a lovely use of letters and dashes to conjure the way the locals speak/sing the word.  It's extraordinary how letters and dashes on a page can generate music and rhythm.  On which note, BBC 6Music tomorrow 10am, Cerys Matthews playing her usual collection of wonderful things plus a Dylan Thomas retrospective, he would have been 99 on Sunday. 

AS

• Like 2

Guest bjaykent

Gotta love the 18z pub run!  The big downer on the weather rollercoaster!

On the face of it looks like a downgrade but probably best to ignore unless the trend shows on the other models over night. I see in the dedicated storm thread that John Holmes didn't rate this run tonight.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78272-possible-severe-storm-monday-28th-october-2013-part-2/page-30

What do you think JP?

Edited by bjaykent