IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 26/10/13

Snowangel-MK

Posted

hi jenny

do not get nervous

its hard to put out advise and be prepared

without looking like scarmongering

this situation is so complicated it may even come down to radar watching on the day

• Like 2

Posted

Afternoon all,

Just catching up with the posts - I see the storm is still on and there isn't a down grade in sight (which I must admit, I was expecting to see during the course of today)

All I can say is stay safe and don't travel unless you have to!  I have to go to work on Monday morning, and I must say, I am not relishing the prospect, even though I am strangely excited at the same time!  Just wish I could be in the comfort of my front room watching it unfold!

I think work can do one on Monday. I'll be working from home, assuming Internet and power hold up! I could go to our DR site in Chelmsford, but that might be in no better state than here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

heres what ukmo show

Posted Image

Posted Image

and the jet

Posted Image

Posted Image

now rainfall

Posted Image

Posted Image

looking at that

the stronger winds are later than shown last night

rush hour onwards a tad earlier for the far south west of the region

looks like the low is slightly further north

these winds still look very strong and the warnings are still justified

will link these up with the fax charts soon

how will the jet react to the storm here is the difficult call

advise is still be prepared

seperate note

the far north east of the region could have bigger gusts as the storm clears

sorry not great news

The 12z Hirlam continues to echo the theme of the ECM this morning with the strongest winds tracking further to the north west

Posted Image

Posted Image

The low is shown as exiting further north into the North Sea than the rest of the modelling so far 

this evening

Posted Image

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 1

Posted

hi tam

too many variants at present

will stick to fax charts now

thats assuming they let me see the right timeframes

Posted

hi tam

too many variants at present

will stick to fax charts now

thats assuming they let me see the right timeframes

I showed the Hirlam because it reflects the fact that the METO had faith in the ECM in their last briefing. Hence the Fax has been mirrored to reflect the ECM up to now. So that is why the Hirlam, in following the ECM of this morning, is in line with that thinking as well.

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר

Posted

i agree tam

we all know how these lows have a mind of their own

problem is i expect the fax to differ from hirlam tonight

find out soon enoughPosted Image

• Like 1

Posted

i agree tam

we all know how these lows have a mind of their own

problem is i expect the fax to differ from hirlam tonight

find out soon enoughPosted Image

It depends on what the ECM shows this evening. If it looks the same as this morning then I think that there is a higher chance that the Fax will stick with that accordingly. On that basis the Hirlam may have some relevance. Time will tell.

The NAE looks too fast and I am not sure that the GFS is modelling the windfields accurately. This is based on an interpretation of what Ian F reported from the METO briefing this morning

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Bit gutted as im in blackpool for tomoz onwards,would love to witness it,also to keep an eye on the house and garden,ill have wi-fi so will be popping in from time to time,enjoy it but above anything else,stay safe people,and dont take unecessary risks.if you see a mondeo taxi fly past youre street with quayside cars on it,please inform me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

I'm hoping of course that damage wont be as bad at 1987.

Someone on here proposed that it definitely wont be. 

How confident are we ? 100% , 90%, 50 %, cannot guess ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

The severe storm and why it’s not a hurricane

The storm which is due to develop tomorrow night and affect the UK during Monday is a mid latitude storm, the sort which affect us through the autumn and winter. These are formed in a very different way – by the meeting of different air masses on what is known as the polar front, leading to low pressure (storms) forming, often around the latitude of the UK.

The storm which is due tomorrow is expected to bring very strong winds and heavy rain, and we are warning of winds gusting 60-80 mph quite widely and locally over 80 mph, especially on exposed coasts, both in the southwesterly winds ahead of the low centre and west to northwesterly winds behind it.

Winds of that strength are classified on the Beaufort scale as ‘hurricane force 12’ but that is not the same as being a hurricane. Winds of this strength could bring down trees or cause structural damage, potentially causing transport disruption or power cuts and we are working closely with the resilience community to ensure they are prepared for the expected conditions.

http://metofficenews...ot-a-hurricane/

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Tomorrow would be a great time to make sure any equipment in garden is either secure or brought in as come Monday morning this could be a issue. I have just spoke to my grandparents who head out on Monday morning to do shopping and other things, I have suggested they stay inside. I hope a lot of you take some time to think of people and to try and play a part in making some damage limitations.

• Like 3

Posted

I'm hoping of course that damage wont be as bad at 1987.

Someone on here proposed that it definitely wont be. 

How confident are we ? 100% , 90%, 50 %, cannot guess ?

Based on the estimates given thus far, and what the modelling suggests, this storm looks to have a central pressure some 20mb higher than the Oct 87 storm and also the wind (more especially gusts) about 25 mph less. So still very strong, but nothing of the same magnitude.

Its not a case of giving categorically precise predictions, no-one can do that, but one can work with all the evidence and expert opinion. Which is a good thing to cut through any unecessary exaggeration, hype and scare mongering.

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 3

Posted

The ignorance of some folk baffles me at times.

My neighbour has been undertaking a home swap all this week. Granted the changeover date was set weeks ago so not much they could do about that but all week I have been warning them of the potential storm and urging them to dispose of their flat  clearance items sensibly. Although we have 'bin' areas outside our properties our local council operate a plastic bag collection only. The bags are various colours according to the type of rubbish they contain. Each 'bin area' holds about 3 large bags.

The old neighbour moved out, dumping their bags, boxes and cartons all over the place, and the new neighbour moved in, dumping all their bags, boxes and cartons all over the place. Hence the 3 bag bin area resembles a scene from the 1970's at the height of the ' Winter of Discontent'. No exaggeration there must be at least 30-40 bags of various content and at least a dozen large empty cardboard boxes piled high and wide just waiting for lift off.

Our refuse collections run like clockwork once a week, I can set my watch by them almost. 6am every Monday morning. Should be interesting to see the state of our little Close by the time they arrive. Some people are so thoughtless.

Apologies, rant over.

• Like 7

Posted

ITV2 film tonight at 7:45pm:

Twister - Fast paced action adventure starring Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton. A tornado-chasing scientist couple get the chance to test a new measuring device on some powerful twisters.

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 7

Posted

By the looks of the clouds, extremely heavy rain set to fall. However bbc weather only suggest light rain. 

Sky's better. A much more in depth feature. And the reporter outside the MetO said "don't travel unless you absolutely have to".

Posted

At this stage, looks like a typical strong autumm gale. Based on current charts, comparing with the '87 storm is ridiculous - nowhere near, at the moment, and the charts would have change dramatically, which is unlikely.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Hi all, a quick question....we live in Surrey but had planned to go see sister in law in Kent tomorrow, meaning we'd be driving home around 8/9pm.

Would u a) call it off, b ) go but come home at Xpm time or c) keep plans cos severe storm not until Monday?

Just a little quiz for u, lol!!

Thanx,

H x

Edited by weathergeek
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Rain and fairly gusty wind here in Ippy. Could this be the 'entree' before the main course on Sunday/Monday?

The cats don't seem happy to be out much either; and last night even Banshee, the senior cat came in without any coaxing. Do they know something is going to happen.................?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Hi all, a quick question....we live in Surrey but had planned to go see sister in law in Kent tomorrow, meaning we'd be driving home around 8/9pm. Would u a) call it off, b ) go but come home at Xpm time or c) keep plans cos severe storm not until Monday?Just a little quiz for u, lol!!Thanx,H x

I think you just answered your own question there with C Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 1