Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 2

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Reading some of the posts on here one would think it's all being made up.Well, i only take note of the pros and the v best on NW - so my take reading IanF's posts and a few others is that it's going to be severe.The doubters are all guesswork merchants in my eyes.

You not read the IanF twitter posts then

Surely, some heads can roll in the media

Seriously

go to: yahoo.com

headline is:

"UK will take full force of Hurricane"

and this may end up being a damp squib non-event

Seriously !! - DId they not read the Met Office press release from earlier

Their article also mentions:

A storm which could reach hurricane strengths of 80mph or more will definitely hit Britain

Definitely? Hmmmm

Unfortunately heads will not roll, because these headlines make money, and the general public have short memories! Otherwise a well known newspaper would be out of business.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

can we please keep this thread on topic and not descend into a farcical pro's and con's and dissection of the metoffice and other meteorological organizations, especially on an atlantic depression that is still in it's embryonic stage on the far side of the atlantic...Some of the posts have been borderline ridiculous

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

You not read the IanF twitter posts then

Err yeh and he says pretty much the same thing

Posted

It doesn't matter if the models or MetO or newspapers turn out to be wrong tomorrow. At least everyone was prepared for the worst this time.

Unless you lived through it you can't imagine the difficulties people went through after the '87 storm. They were completely unprepared and some people were caught out in the storm and died.

Yes they did!! It was horrible and living in Epping Forest just hearing the Tree's screaming as they fell was awful. That howl of that wind will also live with me. The only good news that night was that in the Capital Radio's building Alan Freemans record collection got thrown out of a broken window. Which was a relief for everyone. lol

• Like 2

Posted

Twitter latest :Tomasz Schafernakerâ€@Schafernaker3m

Tomorrow morning we will have a better idea of where destructive winds will strike S UK Monday. So far suggestion 60-90mph, possibly 100mph.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Twitter latest :Tomasz Schafernakerâ€@Schafernaker3m

Tomorrow morning we will have a better idea of where destructive winds will strike S UK Monday. So far suggestion 60-90mph, possibly 100mph.

Sure he isn't following the newspapers;), on a serious note that's very bad for the south coast as these sorts of winds can cause massive destruction!

Posted

Well the latest runs throws a spanner in the works and promises more drama for the overnight runs. Who knows the event happening now with heavy rain and moderate winds could be the main event so to speak. Certainly a interesting sunday ahead!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Twitter latest :Tomasz Schafernakerâ€@Schafernaker3mTomorrow morning we will have a better idea of where destructive winds will strike S UK Monday. So far suggestion 60-90mph, possibly 100mph.

Good, on that note I'm off to bed, not much will change from now to 4:30 ish. Laters

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

two words

oh dear Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Exactly....thank u Chris.The storm will be destructive for some.

I was trying to point out that even he said there would be a 25% reduction in wind speeds. Its confusing when you get so many people saying different things. I am in no way Blaming anybody for the latest run. Warnings are there for a reason

Posted

I was trying to point out that even he said there would be a 25% reduction in wind speeds. Its confusing when you get so many people saying different things. I am in no way Blaming anybody for the latest run. Warnings are there for a reason

from Ian F:

"& a 25% probability of LESS significant winds"

Posted

Thanks for pointing that out mr know it all. Anything else you feel i need to be corrected on lol

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks for pointing that out mr know it all. Anything else you feel i need to be corrected on lol

hahahahaha. Nope thats it! :p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

from Ian F:

"& a 25% probability of LESS significant winds"

So there's still a 75% probability of significant winds. Anything over a mean of 60 mph and it doesn't really make much difference, it's still going to be wild out there.

• Like 1

Posted

So there's still a 75% probability of significant winds. Anything over a mean of 60 mph and it doesn't really make much difference, it's still going to be wild out there.

Yep. Pretty much spot on sir.

Posted
18z just shows what can happen but you can't blame anyone for it. The models picked this up at the very start of the week and started to get attention on Tuesday. Since then more and more agreement has shown that there would be a strong low tracking across the UK. Eventually we just got the hang of the track and the wind speeds. Pretty much every weather model has showed a strong low run after run. Warnings have been released to warn the public of it that's one very important thing because even if it does downgrade at the last minute you can say, well at the time all actions were taken we were warned early and its given us something to talk about on here.

18z does show gusts over 75mph through the English channel and Southern coasts still in the path of very strong winds.
  • Like 3

Posted

Just seems to me like 1987 is repeating it's self, the meto will probably turn round and say no to the storm tomorrow and then we all go to sleep and wake up with a roof ripping off at 3am.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)

1987: Met Office forecast no storm. Hours later huge storm hits UK !

2013: Met Office forecast huge storm. Hours later no storm hits UK ?

...Wouldn't that be ironic.

• Like 4

Posted

don't know much about this stuff but isn't that it developing on the top right?  sorry if I'm wrong Posted Image

If you look closer the swirl your talking about is actually the weather system that's currently affecting the UK at the moment

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_IR.html