Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013 Part 2

Coast

Posted

Lol awwww thank you ! I do indeed have front row seats , getting rather scary ! Portland is a windy place at the best of times let alone with the winds forecast ! Arghh tiny bit excited though lol x

lol same here. predicted wind speeds for here (via netweather-http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=wind;sess=) are not much lower than you! my house is surrounded by trees, some of which have seen better days. especially the ones over the road (main A281 between horsham and guildford) a couple of them have come down in the past couple of years, in winds nowhere near as high as those predicted!! Posted Image

Posted

Certainly worth watching all the model predictions between now and tomorrow evening but only to see if the system severity and its track is trending one way or another.

Its ultimate path will not even start to become apparent until some way after then.

• Like 1

Posted

That would not surprise me, the secondary I mean of course. Best hold onto our hats and get safely through the first one. Posted Image

(psst... its the secondary one we're all talking about..... Posted Image )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

hi all

Can anybody show me where this low is developing on this radar

Posted Image

I think near the precipitation in the 30N box.

• Like 1

Posted

Tried to explain how bad this might be to the other half and said maybe we should get some candles and batteries just incase the power goes!! These days are the chances if the power going for days on end like back in the 80's and 90's? Completely off topic!! (Sorry)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I don't really care what the Express calls it.or NWTV or the MetO for that matter. When or if the power's been knocked out we'll have other things on our minds anyway.

But best to err on the side of caution. I've seen the zinc roof torn off a brand new hotel just down the road in Haverhill by a 60 mph gust.

Absolutely agree, Iceni...Having spent 20+ years living in the Scottish Highlands, I am fully aware of the difficulties that come from high winds (and snow) taking-down power cables; which is why I too am worried by the coming storm's potential...

Hence, why I say: take care y'all!

• Like 2

Posted

the only good thing to come out of this is the fact that it is low water down in this neck of the woods,so flooding will only be confined to the rivers and streams

Posted

Lol awwww thank you ! I do indeed have front row seats , getting rather scary ! Portland is a windy place at the best of times let alone with the winds forecast ! Arghh tiny bit excited though lol x

I can understand your feelings, That road in is likely to flood also. I don't know if I am more worried or more excited at what could happen but I can promise one thing, I WILL be watching out of the window even though hubby thinks I must be mad!

• Like 2

Posted

With so many tree's being succumbed to disease I expect more than usual disruption, especially with tree's that otherwise don't show signs of deterioration externally. A day to stay indoors if at all possible.

• Like 2

Looks as if this will cross the UK as an elongated feature, perhaps with two discrete centers forming. Strong winds gusting to 55-60mph over the  English Channel and south coast of the UK, heavy rain further to the north, especially to the north of the center. The strongest winds will probably be out over the North Sea and into the western European continent.  Lets see what pans out...

Edited by Bloggulator

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Looks as if this will cross the UK as an elongated feature, perhaps with two discrete centers forming. Strong winds gusting to 55-60mph over the  English Channel and south coast of the UK, heavy rain further to the north, especially to the north of the center. The strongest winds will probably be out over the North Sea and into the western European continent.  Lets see what pans out...

I think winds will be stronger than that reaching 80-85mph personally, but good shout!

• Like 1

Posted

Absolutely agree, Iceni...Having spent 20+ years living in the Scottish Highlands, I am fully aware of the difficulties that come from high winds (and snow) taking-down power cables; which is why I too am worried by the coming storm's potential...

worst of all.... no power = no netweather!!!!! Posted Image

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

This is worrying indeed for anyone along the South Coast. 

I can't recall seeing a chart like this for a very long time !!Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

I can't post GFS chart for the same time but it has the low a little further south. So still a bit of uncertainty about the exact track. Will be interesting to see. Personally, I would be happy to watch from afar but I think not on this occasion. Strong winds and rain don't do it for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

hi all

Can anybody show me where this low is developing on this radar

Posted Image

Not too sure personally, but looks like the initial stages of the developing depression are a couple of grid squares due East of the tip of Florida, yes it really will be moving that quickly. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted

ecm 12z op brings s coast winds around 30m/s to lyme bay and 27m/s to brighton.  thats quite a mean wind speed of 65 mph for lyme bay and would surely see gusting approaching 90 mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

thanks IW i was not sure if it was that one or the one to the right

• Like 1

Posted

Tried to explain how bad this might be to the other half and said maybe we should get some candles and batteries just incase the power goes!! These days are the chances if the power going for days on end like back in the 80's and 90's? Completely off topic!! (Sorry)

we  were  of  for  2 1/2  WEEKS  mum was cooking  on a  open fire !!! bless  her  and this  storm could be  worse so everonr please  be  safe  in the  next 72  hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

(psst... its the secondary one we're all talking about..... Posted Image )

Perhaps I've missed the joke. Posted Image  Is there truly a secondary and when? I've heard about one well out into FI but it wouldn't shock me to see something nearer term. Anyway, forget that, let's focus on the here and now.

Posted

With so many tree's being succumbed to disease I expect more than usual disruption, especially with tree's that otherwise don't show signs of deterioration externally. A day to stay indoors if at all possible.

Good point Snow Joke.

post-1808-0-31531000-1382815776_thumb.gi

Look at this map showing a concentration of ash dieback cases in Kent and East Anglia

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

GTLTW...This low is classed as a secondary low in technical terms if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 1

Posted

The south hasn't had a big wind storm for such a long time, there are bound to be thousands of trees that are diseased and unstable, that with the fact they are still in leaf and the ground is soft and saturated, it's recipe for widespread power cuts.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

it was acceptable in the 80s....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

it was acceptable in the 80s....

What 'was acceptable in the 80s'?

• Like 1