Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well the centre of the low on that chart you've quoted is just off the coast at the Humber, but in general yes, I expect it will be south of the Humber.

What if it deepens and turns to its left as John Holmes said deep depressions are wont to do? that means its centre will be further north and the whole of London and the SW. SE and EA will be in the firing line.

I'm going to get on with housework tomorrow. Half term with no electricity isn't much fun - still it will be an 'education'.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Anybody remember a storm on 27th October 2002?Rumours that the potential storm on Monday could have shades of that one.

Yeah, I was in Ilfracombe at the time, we were staying in a holiday caravan in Hele Bay. The caravan was twisted off of its stands when we were hit by a very fast gust of wind. I remember trying to walk up a hill and being unable too because the wind was too strong. I remember a similar event in the late 90's when I was walking home from school I had to have both my sister and my mum hold on to me as the wind was soo strong it kept blowing me down.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

12Z ECMWF at 96 hours. 968mb. Looks a bit further north and slightly more intense than GFS at first glance, more like UKMO?

Posted Image

Well. I would be saying goodbye to my chimney pot, fences and maybe my roof if that comes off Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

12Z ECMWF at 96 hours. 968mb. Looks a bit further north and slightly more intense than GFS at first glance, more like UKMO?

Posted Image

Well. I would be saying goodbye to my chimney pot, fences and maybe my roof if that comes off Posted Image Posted Image

post-1808-0-16021900-1382639181_thumb.jp

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 3

Posted

960mb!!?? I like a good storm but that's a tad much!

IIRC Katrina was 949 or 959; something like that?

Edit: Katrina was 903mb. Just proves how severe/devastating that storm was in comparison.

Edited by Dan the Man
  • Like 1

Posted

does any one remember the storm which hit southern england back in Jan 1998 or 1997?

I was in worthing at the time and we had some damage to our roof and I think a few days later there was a tornado at selsey?

Can someone find the charts for that particular bad spell of weather?...I'd love to see it!

Thankyou.

Edited by West Sussex Kate
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

does any one remember the storm which hit southern england back in Jan 1998 or 1997?I was in worthing at the time and we had some damage to our roof and I think a few days later there was a tornado at selsey?Can someone find the charts for that particular bad spell of weather?Thankyou.

October 2000 I believe that was. Bognor Regis area had a twister. I remember that storm, that was an immense beastly area of low pressure! Winds touched 100mph if I remember right. Can someone go on October 2000 charts as I can't post images for some reason.

P.S that may be another one you were referring to !! Gosh there was so many Autumn storms back then.

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

So the ECM moves the track of the low a bit further north again tonight. Probably see a fair few more alterations before a final track is determined. We've had low pressure systems at the 960mb mark in the last few years - although it's a good indicator of the severity of the storm it doesn't always mean it'll have massive impacts.

Posted

If you're in a town watch out for building sites. All sorts of stuff comes flying off them. Hopefully the foremen will be ordering their builders to pack up anything with a bit of wind resistance tomorrow.

Also those 'trendy' zinc roofs - one of those came off a brand new motel in Haverhill last time we had +40 mph winds, no one was hurt, but they wouldn't have stood a chance if they'd been in the way.

Actually, I think it's best we just stay at home and enjoy the view.

• Like 1

Posted

Edit: Katrina was 903mb. Just proves how severe/devastating that storm was in comparison.

Katrina though had just come over some very warm waters and was massive! This is a low pressure system with potential to be awful. I would be more than shocked if it bombed to the same depth as '87. That was a horrendous night and a horrendous clean-up. Anyone who was alive during that storm would NEVER wish to experience that again. Thankfully this wont be that bad. That was a one in a lifetime storm, and my lifetime isn't over by a long way yet. Posted Image

I remember the tornado in Bognor, tore every roof tile off my friends roof and  blew their windows half-way out and the weather was nothing like what is currently forecast for Monday. I would think some places would likely get a tornado from this storm, hopefully they will be few and far between.

Edited by coldfingers
  • Like 2

Posted

October 2000 I believe that was. Bognor Regis area had a twister. I remember that storm, that was an immense beastly area of low pressure! Winds touched 100mph if I remember right. Can someone go on October 2000 charts as I can't post images for some reason.P.S that may be another one you were referring to !! Gosh there was so many Autumn storms back then.

Yeah its either 1998 or 2000, It was a sunday lunch time when the wind storm hit worthing and caused quite a bit of damage in our area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Had me worried for a second there! Will be interesting to see how Michael Fish will forecast this storm...

Posted

does any one remember the storm which hit southern england back in Jan 1998 or 1997?I was in worthing at the time and we had some damage to our roof and I think a few days later there was a tornado at selsey?Can someone find the charts for that particular bad spell of weather?...I'd love to see it!Thankyou.

No can't recall a 1998 one, but I remember a similar '87 job a few years later in January 1989 or 1990 I think...

I was stuck in London - no trains - but one of my friends phoned to say she'd brought her car in and did I want a lift. So we set off down the A3 and noticed that the big motorway signs had been blown in or even off sometimes. It was pretty hairy but we made it home.

Edited by Iceni

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

the met also have earlly warnings for the midlands for 00h monday valid to 2100 monday for this storm.

Posted

Transportation impacts seem inevitable.

Expecting 10s-100s of flights to be cancelled at the London airports (35kts max gust for an aircraft movement). Plus wind shear must be an issue for any lull in the gusts.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Non Destructive Near My House

Katrina though had just come over some very warm waters and was massive! This is a low pressure system with potential to be awful. I would be more than shocked if it bombed to the same depth as '87. That was a horrendous night and a horrendous clean-up. Anyone who was alive during that storm would NEVER wish to experience that again. Thankfully this wont be that bad. That was a one in a lifetime storm, and my lifetime isn't over by a long way yet. Posted Image

I remember the tornado in Bognor, tore every roof tile off my friends roof and  blew their windows half-way out and the weather was nothing like what is currently forecast for Monday. I would think some places would likely get a tornado from this storm, hopefully they will be few and far between.

I slept through most of it in 1987 I must admit. I had just finished my RAF training that day and had decided to spend the night in the barracks and head off early the next day. Everyone else had left so I had a draughty big barrack block all to myself. Im still amazed I slept so much as I do remember waking up and hearing windows smash etc but I just stayed put and pretended it wasnt happening. 

It took me all day the next day to travel from weston super mare to oxford and Im surprised I even made it thru. It was carnage.I musta been tired that night though :)

• Like 1

Posted

The possibility of a sting jet further exacerbating gusts must also be in consideration given the depth of pressure.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

the met also have earlly warnings for the midlands for 00h monday valid to 2100 monday for this storm.

yup, we are down for wind and rain across much of the south, coastal areas currently ear marked for the worst (so far) but that can change.

I slept through most of it in 1987 I must admit. I had just finished my RAF training that day and had decided to spend the night in the barracks and head off early the next day. Everyone else had left so I had a draughty big barrack block all to myself. Im still amazed I slept so much as I do remember waking up and hearing windows smash etc but I just stayed put and pretended it wasnt happening. 

It took me all day the next day to travel from weston super mare to oxford and Im surprised I even made it thru. It was carnage.I musta been tired that night though Posted Image

you stayed in Weston-Super-Mud!

Amazing Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Non Destructive Near My House

yup, we are down for wind and rain across much of the south, coastal areas currently ear marked for the worst (so far) but that can change.

you stayed in Weston-Super-Mud!

Amazing Posted Image

RAF Locking nearby :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

lets hope this is nothing like 87 i remembor that1 i was only 9 then man it was scarey.