Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013

Coast

Posted

Has anyone got any good tips for filming/photographing this beast? Would be great to get some decent shots. It's a real shame it's hitting bang in the middle of the night but I guess it will be less dangerous.

I am a complete amateur with a half decent camera but no tri-pod. I was thinking of possibly getting some shots of places that are likely to suffer damage and then return to the exact spots after the storm. Has anyone tried this?

On a side note, I find it interesting how such a powerful low is developing from a secondary low. In general we have 'calm before the storm' because usually violent lows are surrounded by lovely high pressure and the two squeezing together

creates those tight isobars. However this one is 'storm before the bigger storm' and that seems quite unusual to me? Is this something that happens quite commonly, secondary lows transforming into beasty storms?

How does the interaction with the low that has just passed through affect the storm, does it add fuel to the fire or dampen it's formation.

Edited by Snow and storms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Only appeared on the beebs Facebook page around 16:25

Cool ! The way things are going they should change that colour from BLUE to RED Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted

Has anyone got any good tips for filming/photographing this beast? Would be great to get some decent shots. It's a real shame it's hitting bang in the middle of the night but I guess it will be less dangerous.

I am a complete amateur with a half decent camera but no tri-pod. I was thinking of possibly getting some shots of places that are likely to suffer damage and then return to the exact spots after the storm. Has anyone tried this?

On a side note, I find it interesting how such a powerful low is developing from a secondary low. In general we have 'calm before the storm' because usually violent lows are surrounded by lovely high pressure and the two squeezing together

creates those tight isobars. However this one is 'storm before the bigger storm' and that seems quite unusual to me? Is this something that happens quite commonly, secondary lows transforming into beasty storms?

This storm is nothing at the moment, and will only start appearing in the surface pressure field tomorrow afternoon.

Edited by Su Campu

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

They are merging, the first northern one is visible already comign across Atlantic, the secondary (damaging winds) one start appearing off a wave in mid/west Atlantic at 00Z Sat , deepens faster, moves fast across UK, then bumps into other in North Sea, see T+84 Met Office chart (just off to get chart) low  below 764

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

I wouldn't use a tripod in those conditins anyway - if your shot has a shutter speed so slow it needs a tripod, a tripod won't keep it stable enough in strong winds to get the shot, unless it has a low wide setting.

There's nothing quite so depressing as seeing a tripod blown over and camera parts scattering this way and that.

I'll be on the Lincolnshire Coast on Monday Morning, with my cameras as well!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UKMO 12z out

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

If UKMO is right it could peak east of the UK spearing us the worst

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

I reckon the low centre itself will be racing northeastwards at around 50 mph Sunday night. That foward speed will be added to the gradient winds on its southern flank, so it's looking dicey for the south coast and Channel!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

Models all appear to be coming to some consensus that the system will enter the country around South Wales and exit over the Lincolnshire/East Yorkshire coast, with a degree of error north and south.

I didn't expect to have such a good agreement with the models by this stage, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few more wobbles to come from some!

Posted

tPosted ImageOne word.... INTENSE Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

The 48 hour FAX for Sunday looks windy enough and the storm hasn't even arrived here yet!!!!

post-12721-0-07507700-1382720590_thumb.j

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

As this storm appears to be the remnants of Lorenzo, I claim naming rights on Monday's Storm LaurenPosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Can anyone give an update on the rain intensity and likely or projected areas this may affect?  Reason being is that the ground is saturated here and a bit concerned about the rainfall in such a short space of time.

Hope there's not too much destruction  in the south IF this hits as expected but would like to be down there all the same!  Posted Image

Posted

Pretty much the worst case scenario that!

Posted Image

961mb at lowest over UK

AMAZING.... Easely touching 100mph at times Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

980mb on the 60 hour Fax. So like the 12Z UKMO, a little weaker than previous?

Posted Image

It could still be intensifying at that point

• Like 1

Posted

I suspect towards Monday the storm will be a lot more realistic in terms of strength and will probably turn out to be nothing more than strong winds and heavy rain. Always going to be the risk (a substantial risk) of flooding which will probably be more of a risk than damage from winds.

• Like 4

Guest William Grimsley

It certainly looks like a potent storm come Sunday night into Monday and the Met Office current track takes it right over my house. It is hard to imagine anything that strong in the centre of the country though and so where areas exposed to the coast and on hills should "be prepared" I am not overly worried yet, although watching this all unfold is and will be a form of interest and excitement to many of us, panic and fear for some. For me I think rain is more of a concern, and flooding is far easier to imagine as I have seen my area affected by serious flooding on two occasions now.

That is exactly what I think. Lots of rain is also coming with this storm. I'll be coming back from Cheshire on Wednesday. So, I'll be able to inspect the damage then, even though I won't see this happen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

The storm looks more intense over in Northern Germany/Netherlands/Denmark than it does here, could be looking at 85mph over there or higher.

Posted Image

• Like 2