Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

= Not good at all.

well you could argue that, but personally from a purely weather enthusiast perspective, = fantastic

• Like 6

Posted

I have never tried it, but can anyone actually drive a car in 80mph side winds ?Id imagine you'd get blown about everywhere on a motorway (driving slower of course).Has anyone had experience of driving in really bad side winds ?I am only asking as it would appear that the country will be attempting to go to work when the worst of the storm is on us on Monday.

For anyone, if it gets very bad, it could make for dangerous driving conditions, due to cross winds on motorways and also particularly due to trees falling on vehicles; the statistics for deaths in previous years show a number of lives were claimed in this way.

It's particularly hazardous for any high-sided vehicles, of course.  One problem is, many lorry drivers are, shall we say, strongly encouraged to make their deadlines, so they will often attempt to keep going even when it's past the point when they would stop if they took a moment to consider it rationally.  I've seen this in Milton Keynes in 2010 shortly before Christmas (I think it was) when about 9 inches of snow came down within 3 hours.  The lorries tried to keep going and many ended up jack-knifing and blocking roads because they just didn't stand a chance of coping with the conditions (roundabouts and slight inclines mixed with compacted snow).  Plenty of CMG rescue vehicles then added into the mix trying to reach them!

I imagine a fair few miles of motorway (for instance M25 western section, M1, M11, M5, M6 and any other N-S stretches where high-sided vehicles would be at risk from strong gusts in a W-E side wind) could certainly be at a standstill if the forecasts at the extreme end of the scale are realised.  I am fortunate enough to be able to work from home if absolutely necessary and will be checking before I set out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

I drove about 15 miles to work during the 87 storm, this is in Northants.

It was pretty hairy, I have never felt the need to keep looking upwards out of

the windscreen before, there was so much debris in the air.

Got there only to be sent straight back home as it was outdoor work.

B.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I drove about 15 miles to work during the 87 storm, this is in Northants.

It was pretty hairy, I have never felt the need to keep looking upwards out of

the windscreen before, there was so much debris in the air.

Got there only to be sent straight back home as it was outdoor work.

B.

Yes, I was working in N'ton that very morning, was quite hairy I have to say.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

This is looking a more bigger bar steward of a storm as each run goes on! An awesome definition of a 'bomb' and scary how rapidly it is forecasted to deepen. Possibly one of the fastest projected cyclogenesis events I have seen take place in my life, let alone on here model watching.

Take care everyone, this looks like its going to be fun. But I think the line between fun and serious could be challenged big time. Still subject to change a little nonetheless. 

• Like 1

Posted

So unless there's a downgrade to top all downgrades we are heading for a storm to rival 1987?

I think it's very unlikely it will be that severe, I would guess something more like October 2000, though maybe not as strong. But it's too early to know anyway.

Sunday afternoon will also be windy with 50 to 60mph gusts across Ireland, Wales and England,

post-6686-0-34933300-1382717015_thumb.pn

Then 24 hours later the storm arrives giving off 60 to 70mph gusts along the South coast with a chance of 80mph being reached in the most exposed area's to the coast,

post-6686-0-68594300-1382717146_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted

Yea Sunday afternoon is looking moderately windy too. A much more widepread wind and will be very noticeable.

Question: The UKM GM is usally out to 48/60 hours by now on meteociel isn't it?

Question: The UKM GM is usally out to 48/60 hours by now on meteociel isn't it?

Yes it usually is, according to the visitor counter on the site its nearly hit 3000 about twice as much traffic than normal probably slowing things down.

Edited by weathermaster
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

A real pity we don't get these type of storms with low level snow on all flanks of the low, imagine that, light the blue touch paper and stand well back!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Weather system to 'pack a punch' on Monday

Strong winds and heavy rain predicted for Monday could cause disruption across Wales and southern England, according to forecasters.

The Met Office issued an amber alert for wind and there is also concern that heavy rain could cause flooding.

It warned people to "be prepared for the risk of falling trees as well as damage to buildings and other structures" caused by strong winds.

Nick Miller explains where and when the storm is predicted to hit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24671796

Its in and out extremely quickly but packs a punch whilst its here

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Yes it usually is, according to the visitor counter on the site its nearly hit 3000 about twice as much traffic than normal probably slowing things down.

It's Sods Law, the most anticipated model output usually gets delayed or returns 'grid undefined' on WZ. :D

• Like 1

Posted

Latest text forecast from the met

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Very unsettled with sunny spells, squally showers and strong winds throughout. Turning very stormy in the south early on Monday with heavy rain and very strong, potentially damaging, winds.

Posted

Cant wait to see the Daily Express headline tomorrow. Posted Image

They've had 3 front page stories on this storm this week

Tuesday

Posted Image

Thursday

Posted Image

Today

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

BBC News on Facebook have just issued this

Posted Image

You'll find that's been on the bbc weather breakfast news since this morning.

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

RED WARNINGs Met Office

These have a short lead time, they can't be issued too early as many transport/council infrastructure procedures are set off by the issue of an Amber or red alert.

There is still uncertainty with the details and a Watch gives the public a heads up, a Red warning, as it says, means TAKE ACTION now

As these severe winds may come when most are asleep, and around the Monday morning rush hour, any preparations or early warnings have to be a good thing. No 100% in this game

The Met Office offer a handy matrix alongside their warnings to help explain that the warning is a combination of impact and probability - I guess with the probability for a given area still in some doubt, red warnings are premature at this time.

I like the way the Met do that, it's a nice and clear explanation of why they are issuing the warning they're issuing.

• Like 5

Posted

You'll find that's been on the bbc weather breakfast news since this morning.

Only appeared on the beebs Facebook page around 16:25

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Have a sneaky feeling my early post 6am drive to work might be "interesting"  Monday. Even on other breezy days on bin day (this monday oddly enough) it makes the roads here an obstacle course to navigate.

In Northern Scotland wheelie bins have a heavier plastic frame on, to weigh them down in the (omni-present) strong winds