Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Hi, lurker here (only seem come out when it's exciting weather!)

Thanks for all the info - loving reading it! I'm just outside Southend on Sea, so am expecting no trains on Monday to work at least!

Got a query though - on the chart Gael_Force posted showing wind speeds at 925hPa, if the pressure at sea level gets down to say 970 as predicted, then what height above sea level are those speeds? I'm guessing only a few hundred metres?

Cheers,

Steve

Steve,

1mb per 30ft so it's about 1350ft at Standard Atmosphere (ISA+15*C at Surface) - I think the Shard is going to have it's first real test Monday.

• Like 1

Posted

I empathise with those who are getting a bit worried about this possible storm. I've had two big storms down here the first in January 2009 which was dreadful.

Just a small point, although we lost power for 5 days the telephone lines survived and thankfully I managed to dig out an old phone and not one of those modern ones that need to sit in a charger, this was a big relief as I could still ring up family and friends to have a good moan!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

How will Hayling Island fair in this? I'm asking because I'm actually in our caravan now 0.8miles from sea front.

Go home. I'd imagine by Monday afternoon that caravan will be several miles inland from the sea front.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Go home. I'd imagine by Monday afternoon that caravan will be several miles inland from the sea front.

Well possibly even a quick transfer to Sheppey!

Joking aside, it doesnt look good, tbh.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Well here is the little bugger right now near enough

Posted Image

What doubly concerns me is this

Posted Image

Notice yet another small low along the southern side of the jet in the Atlantic. We could be starring down the barrel again in a weeks time

GEM shows what could happen

Posted Image

Could be a stormy period coming up

• Like 1

Posted

Ryan Maue â€@RyanMaue 2h

12z ECMWF has Monday wind damage event w/967 mb warm seclusion low (w/sting jet) for London, N France, Belgium, Neth pic.twitter.com/55a9JTWLLA

Posted Image

Note : These winds are at 850mb, not surface winds. In some circumstances, winds from higher up can get brought down to the surface in very strong gusts. It doesn't always happen though.

Edited by radiohead

Posted

Bring it on!! this is so exciting, If I can't get to work I will get my cam recorder out. I can't decide if I should go to the seafront or go to the wind farms?

*must check my house insurance tomorrow* I might finally get my leaky conservatory replaced!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Ok..another question,  what time do you think its likely to hit/be at its worst (sorry for asking) but im at work from 6pm sunday evening to 8am monday morning (and thats the other side of the island aswell)

Posted

Bring it on!! this is so exciting, If I can't get to work I will get my cam recorder out. I can't decide if I should go to the seafront or go to the wind farms?*must check my house insurance tomorrow* I might finally get my leaky conservatory replaced!

My conservatory has began to leak this week :( Looking forward to seeing what things look like in 12hrs time, hopefully we'll have a better idea on the track of this storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

A few of the 18z ensembles are bringing this storm further N, with stronger winds on its W flank. If this theme is brought into the operational output tomorrow, places like the W Midlands, Wales and the Cheshire gap may see some secondary severe gales (as Richie V highlighted earlier).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some perturbations even bring the centre up to Cumbria/Scottish borders

Posted Image

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted

just got what that would be in mph and it came up with 115mph gulp Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Those winds are at 5,000 ft though. But sometimes in these type of storm those higher winds can be brought down to the surface.

Posted

I have to admit I don't understand the charts ect. But finding this forum really interesting. I am getting a little worried about being in the caravan lol. And we are not in an open area or any trees close. I will decide in morning if I should abandon ship so too speak and return to Manchester.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon
  • Weather Preferences: proper seasons ! hot sunny summers & cold snowy winters

Bring it on!! this is so exciting, If I can't get to work I will get my cam recorder out. I can't decide if I should go to the seafront or go to the wind farms?

*must check my house insurance tomorrow* I might finally get my leaky conservatory replaced!

Probably a good idea unless you would prefer to have an indoor pool Posted Image  I was in mexico when a hurricane was due & we were told to leave before it hit .So i rang the airline & we left the following day .Spent 3 days in mexico which cost me £7 k ! Rang the insurance company on my return & they said they would not pay out due to it being a natural disaster ! Fuming Posted Image .Insurance is the one of the biggest rip offs & dont get me started on gas & electric lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: proper seasons ! hot sunny summers & cold snowy winters

Knit - something to do when the electric goes!

I hope youve been eating plenty of carrots then Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Gales, snow

Well how are the msoutherners feeling to have a Iceland/N scotland low, hitting them ??????SCARED ?>??????? You all should be used to that weather anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Hmm now the question is, being on the Isle of Wight and in a prone area for this storm ( Regarding winds) do I or do I not walk along the seafront to experience these winds or will it be too dangerous?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

Hmm now the question is, being on the Isle of Wight and in a prone area for this storm ( Regarding winds) do I or do I not walk along the seafront to experience these winds or will it be too dangerous?

I'm tempted to do the same to

Edited by JK1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I'm scared because I'm camping Sunday night into Monday in Devon... :'(

should be quite a road trip for you.......camping in devon sunday night......waking up monday nmorning to find yourself camping in the Urals Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

I hope your joking......!!!
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

ok, so a light breeze may ruffle the curtain of an open window on sunday night/Monday..Posted Image ..no need to panic then.

Posted

Are you mad? How many times do you see headlines where someone gets blown off the seafront or get dragged in by a wave, do yourself and your family a favour and don't end up a tragic statistic!
  • Like 2