Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

The ever present very mild if not warm temps are just an indication of the forthcoming clash of air masses...It is not at present looking very good and in all honesty any journeys that are non-essential overnight Sunday into Monday are probably not worth risking or may warrant careful consideration at best.

A couple of NFL teams in London will have that in mind.

Posted

Latest marine forecast:

post-6667-0-30077200-1382707662_thumb.jp

From 2100 UTC Sat 26 Oct 2013 to 2100 UTC Tue 29 Oct 2013

A major low is expected to lie south of Iceland late on Saturday, with central pressure near 960. This low is expected off northwest Scotland late Sunday. At the same time, a rapidly deepening second major low should move rapidly northeast from the southwest approaches of the UK. This low is likely to cross southern Britain early Monday, before crossing the North Sea northeastwards and merging with the first low here during daylight hours of Monday. A ridge of high pressure from the Azores high is then expected to affect the south on Tuesday, with the now combined low lying over Scandinavia. Strong winds are likely in all areas for much of the period, with gales at times on Sunday, reaching storm or perhaps violent storm for a time in the south of the Cullercoats area early Monday. Winds should gradually reduce into Tuesday, although with strong winds or gales continuing in all areas except Thames, Dover and Wight.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/marine-high-seas/#?tab=map

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Windstorm, Thunderstorm, Heavy Squally, Blustery Winds

Potentially Very Dangerous Winds For 'Hurricane'

Hurricane Saint Jude will be a equivalent to a strong Category 1 hurricane with 80mph winds but it could be upgrade to be strengthens into a Category 2 hurricane with 100mph winds are potentially very dangerous storms and killer storms could be deadly on the way.

Hurricane Saint Jude could impact to hit the UK with a very intense low pressure system of 960mb will be a equivalent to a strong Category 2 hurricane with 100mph+ winds could cause havoc wreak with potentially very damaging winds early Monday and into Monday night.

The impact of this could be absolutely devastating and people should really prepare for very severe storms are potentially very dangerous high winds with very powerful hurricane force winds.

Sky will be able to getting on the act now for 'Hurricane Alert' is so very important to see it the hurricane warnings.

• Like 2

Posted

The low pressure system passing to the north on Sunday looks quite vigorous in its own rite ? Will this have an affect on the big one before they pass out into the north sea ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

The Burns Day storm in 1990 was more severe in The southwest than the the great storm of 1987 which was more severe in the south east....I don't remember the storm in 1987 as I was just 6 at the time but I asked my mum and she can't remember it....But we both remember the Burns Day storm....

I wonder what area will be worst effected and whether it'll be a worse storm than either storms I mentioned above as the highest winds are forecast to the whole of southern counties at the moment instead if just one area?

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

If this storm does develop, i wonder if they will give it a name

I vote for: Bertie Posted Image

Maybe Merkel would be a more relevant name for the current storm. Posted Image Judging on the current output coastal parts of Germany, Belgium and Holland won't be places to go fishing on Monday either.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Potentially Very Dangerous Winds For 'Hurricane'Hurricane Saint Jude will be a equivalent to a strong Category 1 hurricane with 80mph winds but it could be upgrade to be strengthens into a Category 2 hurricane with 100mph winds are potentially very dangerous storms and killer storms could be deadly on the way.Hurricane Saint Jude could impact to hit the UK with a very intense low pressure system of 960mb will be a equivalent to a strong Category 2 hurricane with 100mph+ winds could cause havoc wreak with potentially very damaging winds early Monday and into Monday night.The impact of this could be absolutely devastating and people should really prepare for very severe storms are potentially very dangerous high winds with very powerful hurricane force winds.Sky will be able to getting on the act now for 'Hurricane Alert' is so very important to see it the hurricane warnings.

There is a very big difference between sustained wind speeds and gusts. A catagory 1 hurricane has sustained wind speeds of 74-95mph. A catagory 2 hurricane has sustained winds of 96-110mph

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Not got a lot to say but i have family down south in pompey and im worried. Please stay safe you lot on here.

Posted

My house is on a hill facing WSW across Poole Harbour. Slightly concerned about this upcoming storm as I reckon we could be pretty exposed here. I should probably put the garden furniture and stuff in the garage!  I have to say, I'm still kind of excited though.  I remember in 1990 watching a greenhouse get lifted up out of our garden (different house) and disintegrated across the next 4 gardens along.

Posted
  • Location: Woodham Walter Essex,between Danbury and Maldon 42 m asl

The most sensible advice has to be....Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

Well I'm just glad our neighbour's very tall conifers trees got cut down earlier this year was, they were very close to us and other neigbours gardens so was worried about serious wind happening that could knock them down . tbh I'm excited (I do love storms) yet concerned at the same time about the storm.

Posted

Being an extreme weather lover I would have to say "Prepare for the worst and hope for the worst" I am sorry if this offends anyone but I am just being honest.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

"Some gusts will exceed force 12 on the Richter Scale" I just read in the

online Telegraph, yikes, Posted Image

B.

then we are in danger.. lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

"Some gusts will exceed force 12 on the Richter Scale" I just read in the

online Telegraph, yikes, Posted Image

B.

Oh dear! Posted Image

They'll be earthquakes that are 4 on the beaufort scale next.

Is there anybody on here coming down this way for a bit of an intercept? I'm still planning on going to St Albans head or somewhere around there. The top of the Purbeck hills isn't a bad shout either, somewhere to park up as well.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

What every happens at the end of this weekend into Monday, much of the UK is in for some very windy weather, what is the dangerous/exciting/scary bit is where/when/if the intense core of damaging winds comes off. So far the South Coast has looked most likely, but the MO are hinting at drawing the low further north, and as the Low clears into the North Sea, Monday morning there could be a vicious backlash in the NW winds as it clears the Wash

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

There is a very big difference between sustained wind speeds and gusts. A catagory 1 hurricane has sustained wind speeds of 74-95mph. A catagory 2 hurricane has sustained winds of 96-110mph

Quite right, this is not a hurricane, it won't have the characteristics of a hurricane and it certainly won't have the sustained winds of even a category 1 hurricane never mind a Cat 2. Tropical storm strength perhaps. 

Hurricane and Tropical storms also drop a lot more than 40mm of rain.

However, potentially a very strong autumn storm not to be reckoned with. I hope it's a corker and everyone stays safe, although its inevitable that it is almost unavoidable that not everyone will stay safe. Common sense is key here, no unnecessary risks etc, like kite surfing in the dark..

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

this probably means exactly the opposite to different folks on here ...

Posted

Being an extreme weather lover I would have to say "Prepare for the worst and hope for the worst" I am sorry if this offends anyone but I am just being honest.

Its all relative Cliffy,if you want extreme weather,hope away! that would be the best for you.If you would rather a tree didn't fall and squash the car,conservatory or anything else you care about then you would wish for the best,for you.But at the end of the day,the winds gonna do,what the winds gonna do.

Posted

So far the South Coast has looked most likely, but the MO are hinting at drawing the low further north, and as the Low clears into the North Sea, Monday morning there could be a vicious backlash in the NW winds as it clears the Wash

Therein lies my personal concern Jo, almost every wavering run has meant something slightly different for many folk up and down the country, but pretty consistently amongst many runs across many models, Channel facing coasts have been in the firing line.