Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Possible severe storm Monday 28th October 2013

Coast

Posted

I remember the storm of 87, was living down the coast in greatstone,, and right on the sea front... about 2am the building shaking woke me up, this was the sea hitting the beach and sending a shockwave through the block of flats I lived in.. I ventured out of my flat down the stairs, opened the front door ( well tried to )..  I then glimpsed through the door and the noise was deafing, next thing the scafolding on the next block just collapsed on to all the parked cars... by this time I was cacking my pants.. and ran back upstairs to my flat and hid under the bed all night.. lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I remember the tornado in Bognor, tore every roof tile off my friends roof and  blew their windows half-way out and the weather was nothing like what is currently forecast for Monday. I would think some places would likely get a tornado from this storm, hopefully they will be few and far between.

Wow, sounds horrific. 

Yeah I reckon somewhere, maybe Hampshire to Kent will likely see some whirlwinds as well as maybe somewhere in the Midlands where the fast converging winds will be occurring. It is looking ever more likely that this will be coming off now. Big upgrades for severe potential this evening. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Lets hope its nothing like child of nadine, 23-25th Sept, bbc and meto are moving this through way too fast, it will be a washout on monday for western areas, they give a dry day I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad

wth! the last bit. i only typed in F F S

Edited by IrememberAtlantic252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Transportation impacts seem inevitable.

Expecting 10s-100s of flights to be cancelled at the London airports (35kts max gust for an aircraft movement). Plus wind shear must be an issue for any lull in the gusts.

I'd imagine bridge crossings will also be affected along with many railways as a few leaves on the line and its chaos! 

• Like 3

Posted

I'd imagine bridge crossings will also be affected along with many railways as a few leaves on the line and its chaos! 

I remember the first time I realised railway lines could rust. That was the morning after the overnight '87 storm. No trains running for 24 hours and ALL roads out of Bognor Regis blocked by fallen trees, and lots of them! Seemed so odd to see rail lines red instead of shiny. There were certainly plenty of leaves on the line that morning, worst problem was..... they were attached to tree trunks!

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

As mentioned earlier, 12z ECM takes the centre of Monday's low further north than GFS (exiting northern England) - strong wind swathe further north as a result, taking in the Midlands too:

post-1052-0-57289800-1382641661_thumb.pnpost-1052-0-33829900-1382641676_thumb.pn

Be interesting what the updated t+96 fax makes of the low later

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

RAF Locking nearby Posted Image

Not been there in a few years, did you enjoy it? (we are waaaaay OT here)

Not looking forward to this windy spell.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms

Transportation impacts seem inevitable.

Expecting 10s-100s of flights to be cancelled at the London airports (35kts max gust for an aircraft movement). Plus wind shear must be an issue for any lull in the gusts.

It depends on the wind direction and the forecast direction is west or southwesterly. All the London airports have runway orientations in this direction. 35kts by itself means nothing. 70kts is when things get interesting as thats generally the structural limit for airbridges and rotating radar heads.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

This is the Ramping thread then....its only Thursday!.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

i can see this system moving further North, and in turn the N/E corner of East Anglia taking a real beating..

Not that far north I can see Kent, Southern EA and London taking some serious beatings from this.

My birthday as well hope it can be a good a event.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

As I said before, we do this every year... Big storm warning, looks bad yet some places get a bit of rain, the odd tree goes down and that's it. It's just a deep low pressure system..

I've seen worse in squalls

Posted

Not that far north I can see Kent, Southern EA and London taking some serious beatings from this.

My birthday as well hope it can be a good a event.  

i lived through the great storm  all i can say if you don't have  to go out to work on  Monday DONT to  me  the  met office should give  this  storm  a  red  warning  already  even at  this early stage

• Like 1

Posted

i lived through the great storm  all i can say if you don't have  to go out to work on  Monday DONT to  me  the  met office should give  this  storm  a  red  warning  already  even at  this early stage

Ah ha, wonder how many times the met has used those words and the sun comes out :p

It's going to be a bit windy, better put my washing in

Posted

Ah ha, wonder how many times the met has used those words and the sun comes out Posted Image

unfortunately that's what people did in 1987

• Like 5

Posted

does any one remember the storm which hit southern england back in Jan 1998 or 1997?I was in worthing at the time and we had some damage to our roof and I think a few days later there was a tornado at selsey? 

Southernman has described the Selsey tornado to me, he was living there.

• Like 2

Posted

As I said before, we do this every year... Big storm warning, looks bad yet some places get a bit of rain, the odd tree goes down and that's it. It's just a deep low pressure system..

I've seen worse in squalls

Perhaps best not make such presumptions until after the event?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Ah ha, wonder how many times the met has used those words and the sun comes out :pIt's going to be a bit windy, better put my washing in

If some of the charts come off then you'll be lucky to have a roof, let alone washing. Best to be safe than sorry eh.
  • Like 1

Posted

Perhaps best not make such presumptions until after the event?

I've been excited over a good storm for too long now and read the ooohaaas on netweather for it to be a blink and you'll miss it afair

Would like to be proved wrong this time

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Whats it looking like for here on east coast around the wash area

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

I recently changed my plans for Monday to Saturday, to avoid getting blown away.

• Like 1

Posted

Ah ha, wonder how many times the met has used those words and the sun comes out Posted Image

And how old were you in '87? 8 years old? People screamed about the METO not giving a warning then even though the forecast systems were nothing like today.

I AM NOT saying this is another '87, far from it, however I AM saying this has a potential to hurt some people very badly at a time when many people will be out and about their business. NEVER disregard warnings, or one day it may be your last warning.

Edited by coldfingers
  • Like 7

Posted

And how old were you in '87? 8 years old? People screamed about the METO not giving a warning then even though the forecast systems were nothing like today.

I AM NOT saying this is another '87, far from it, however I AM saying this has a potential to hurt some people very badly at a time when many people will be out and about their business. NEVER disregard warnings, or one day it may be your last warning.

Don't feed the troll! Posted Image

• Like 1