Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/10/13 ------------>

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Does anyone keep cars in their garage?! Ours is chocka full of junk and I think it will have a few plant pots and garden ornaments added to it this weekend!

Yes good point, there are 2 motorbikes and allsorts of other junk to move out first. I think if you have a garage its for filling with anything but a car. I did think about trying to save the car from debris though....

• Like 2

Posted

yep, hes weighing in at 7 stone now Posted Image

just wondering whether to get a double decker bus into work on monday Posted Image  or a train. or just take the day off! Posted Image

I'm just hoping the trains aren't running on Monday morning - that's my only hope of not having to travel in it! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

I can see the garden swing and the baby slide possibly ending up in the Orwell. And the shed over in Essex. :D

• Like 3

Posted

Yes good point, there are 2 motorbikes and allsorts of other junk to move out first. I think if you have a garage its for filling with anything but a car. I did think about trying to save the car from debris though....

I've got a car in it - and a village shop./ off-licence so that stuff won't be coming out!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Putting garden furniture and wheelie bins away and propping up dodgy fences? Posted Image

If only I could do that, here is a typical modern 2 bed semi, house is bigger but not that much than my previous 2 bed flat, comes with a stamp size fir lapped fence garden, there is a half shed (yes half, they took a 6'x4', sliced it down the middle to make a 6'x2' one, even the door is only half the size) so have no where to stow things like the bins.

Just had the fence posts fixed that were knackered in the spring so the posts/panels that remain I am hoping will hold out, the tv aerial came down 3 years ago and had to be re-fixed mind, I am expecting to see that happen again.  Have fitted on in the attic but then found the felt liner under the roof tiles has aluminium foil backing so the signal is still blocked.

I can see the garden swing and the baby slide possibly ending up in the Orwell. And the shed over in Essex. Posted Image

Do they close the Orwell bridge in such conditions? I find it quite imposing to cross on a calm sunny day Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, I can remember a few occasions when the Orwell Bridge was closed. It caused traffic carnage in central Ipswich.

Posted

Anyone in Norfolk remember the windstorm of 2/3 January 1976?

Definitely the first one I remember, even in Essex - actually I'd say one of the three really bad ones I've experienced (Burns Day and 1987 being the other two) Norfolk took the brunt of it in this region.

Winds gusted to 100mph in Norwich (in an older book I have, it says 102mph) and winds were even worse on the North Norfolk Coast. I think it only dropped to the high 960's in pressure too.

There's a small bit about it here, right at the bottom. Posted Image

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/ee/print.html

I don't know but i remember being a very little  girl about that time and being out in strong winds in Southend such that I was unable to walk in a straight line.

• Like 1

Posted

such that I was unable to walk in a straight line.

I'll be like that tomorrow, before any storm Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

Actually following the local travel news round here we have had a few trees down over the past couple of days. Lord only knows how many will get blown down Monday 'if' we get what they are predicting.

we have over this way as well as scaffolding in the past couple of weeks

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/video_and_photo_gallery_scaffolding_blows_down_at_hall_quay_in_great_yarmouth_1_2872219

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Aside from all the talk of the Sun/Mon storm, cant believe how warm it feels today.

Certainly is here in Croydon.

Tom.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Aside from all the talk of the Sun/Mon storm, cant believe how warm it feels today.

Certainly is here in Croydon.

Tom.

Yes it is, certainly suprised when I arrived home at how warm inside it was again (and no I have not got the heating on)

• Like 2

Posted

Putting garden furniture and wheelie bins away and propping up dodgy fences? Posted Image

afternoon coast & every 1

you know whot the mood iam in i say bring it on....Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image sod the garden furniture it might be good fun to watch it fly ...i know i should not say that iam just venting bad day Posted Image Posted Image

Posted

afternoon coast & every 1

you know whot the mood iam in i say bring it on....Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image sod the garden furniture it might be good fun to watch it fly ...i know i should not say that iam just venting bad day Posted Image Posted Image

Not if it becomes a projectile that damages other peoples property or even other people though! Think about where it might land, not it's value or fun factor :good: 

• Like 3

Posted

Not if it becomes a projectile that damages other peoples property or even other people though! Think about where it might land, not it's value or fun factor Posted Image

i know man ,ive been told ill go and put it all away(throws dummy out the pram and kicks plant pot over on the way to the garage lol),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Posted Image Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

As we get nearer Monday if the weather models haven't backed down I really think we could see this amber alert upgraded to red, certainly in some coastal areas, if the low is going to deepen as it enters the North Sea this would impact SE Facing coasts with some serious flooding issues!

post-10773-0-46103500-1382716615_thumb.j

... I bet the Met O have their red crayons all ready just in case Posted Image 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Obviously there are a few people with their comments and graphics who are looking forward to this from a 'weather enthusiast' pov but tbh there is a difference between watching a youtube video or going on a safely organised storm tour (f.e) to chase tornado's and dealing with potentially destructive or dangerous weather in your own back yard.

I'm sure not looking forward at all to something like this whizzing around my house on Monday morningPosted Image http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs6915.gif

Anyone who wants to experience the 'excitement' of it I would be only to willing to swop with (if I could!)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Obviously there are a few people with their comments and graphics who are looking forward to this from a 'weather enthusiast' pov but tbh there is a difference between watching a youtube video or going on a safely organised storm tour (f.e) to chase tornado's and dealing with potentially destructive or dangerous weather in your own back yard.

I'm sure not looking forward at all to something like this whizzing around my house on Monday morningPosted Image http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs6915.gif

Anyone who wants to experience the 'excitement' of it I would be only to willing to swop with (if I could!)

Quite right Tamara, how many of us would have been wishing to see a direct hit from the October '87 storm. Obviously this was before the age of the internet, without radar and satellite access and as we know it gave the Meto a real headache trying to accurately predict its path and strength. As we now know, the storm caused a massive amount of damage and some loss of life.

We should be careful what we wish for, even with todays superior computer models, we still cant be that certain how dangerous this storm could be.

Tom.

Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon
  • Weather Preferences: proper seasons ! hot sunny summers & cold snowy winters
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon

Me too Tamara ! Its my daughters 12 th birthday on monday .We are supposed to be going to pizza express at lunchtime with a few of her friends .I have a feeling that this might not happen now ? As long as everyone is safe thats all that matters ,we will have to have her bday celebrations another day . Quite scary all this Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

To be honest it looks like 50-60mph gusts with 70-80mph along the south coast and eastern Kent. Not exactly out of the ordinary

• Like 1

Posted

Quite right Tamara, how many of us would have been wishing to see a direct hit from the October '87 storm. Obviously this was before the age of the internet, without radar and satellite access and as we know it gave the Meto a real headache trying to accurately predict its path and strength. As we now know, the storm caused a massive amount of damage and some loss of life.

We should be careful what we wish for, even with todays superior computer models, we still cant be that certain how dangerous this storm could be.

Tom.

Exactly Tomas - couldn't put it betterPosted Image

The UKMO just perhaps (?) the slightly lesser of two evils so far from a south coast pov with the low at t60 faster to arrive than the GFS 12z and marginally less packed isobars. Yes, that is called straw clutching...Posted Image

UKMO

Posted Image

GFS

Posted Image

There is little in it though - and both produce a very powerful low and the UKMO in the next frame is sending some very high winds into the Dutch and North German coast

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

How i see it, regardless if you want it to happen or not makes no difference to the final outcome. I will take the consequences of what ever happens because its just something that cannot be controlled. It's not like people want it to happen because they want people to get hurt, we do not experience extreme weather on a regular basis if any at all unlike some other countries, so when something like this comes along it gets people excited and I personally do not see anything wrong with that.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

To be honest it looks like 50-60mph gusts with 70-80mph along the south coast and eastern Kent. Not exactly out of the ordinary

That isn't ordinary lol! I wouldn't fancy walking along with 80mph gusts, I doubt I could even if I tried

• Like 3

Posted

That isn't ordinary lol! I wouldn't fancy walking along with 80mph gusts, I doubt I could even if I tried

Exactly. Maybe some folk on the east coast might like to swop placesPosted Image This is not an 'ordinary' autumn low even though yesterday I was closer to thinking that it could still end up being so.

Me too Tamara ! Its my daughters 12 th birthday on monday .We are supposed to be going to pizza express at lunchtime with a few of her friends .I have a feeling that this might not happen now ? As long as everyone is safe thats all that matters ,we will have to have her bday celebrations another day . Quite scary all this Posted Image

I think that by early to mid afternoon the worst will hopefully be moving out of the way - so hopefully with luck we might all get out and about by this timePosted Image

Lets hope that things are as much in one piece as possible. It might be as well to make lunch a bit later rather than earlier - but good luck with your daughters birthday and I hope it is enjoyable despite the hideous weather, and take care in the townPosted Image

• Like 4