Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/10/13 ------------>

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

One other aspect of making comparisons to other storm systems is simply asking "Why not?"  Its a discussion thread for weather related material and surely looking at other comparisons to gauge what might happen is entirely relevant and pertinent? Plus it's a chance to learn further by seeing exactly what does happen in reality. So the more folk do this the better, imvho

Steve, I think the winds in this region were at their worst in the afternoon of that March 2008 storm. I remember being close to the seafront at Winchelsea and had to stop driving for a short period as the conditions were too hazardous to go any further. Other drivers did the same

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 3

Posted

I don't really remember any other bad storms, other than the one in Oct 1987 and then there was another one in Jan 1990 (I think?) 

I do remember other windy days - just none that stand out like the above two for damage and destruction!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I've been out stocking up on 'emergency' supplies just in case.....(Quality Street £3.60 a tin at Waitrose and Baileys £9 a litre at Morrisons) so I'm sure we will survive  Posted Image  here is a quick reminder of the MetO warnings as they stand at the moment just in case anyone missed them earlier.....

Amber Alert of Wind for London & South East England :

Brighton and Hove, East Sussex, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Portsmouth, Southampton, Surrey, West Sussex, Oxfordshire, West Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Bracknell Forest, Greater London, Milton Keynes, Reading, Slough, Windsor and Maidenhead, Wokingham & Medway

Amber Alert of Wind for East of England :

Bedford, Central Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire, Luton, Peterborough, Essex, Thurrock, Norfolk, Suffolk & Southend-on-Sea

A very intense low pressure system is forecast to run northeastwards across the country early on Monday, bringing the potential for an exceptionally windy spell of weather for southern parts of the UK. At the same time, persistent, heavy rain could cause some surface water flooding. 

There is some continuing uncertainty in the timing, intensity and track of the low. However, the public should be prepared for the risk of falling trees as well as damage to buildings and other structures, bringing disruption to transport and power supplies.

Issued at:

1117 on Fri 25 Oct 2013

Valid from:

0005 on Mon 28 Oct 2013

Valid to:

2100 on Mon 28 Oct 2013

A developing storm is expected to reach the UK later on Sunday. This is expected to run northeastwards, probably across England and Wales, with very strong winds on its southern and western flanks. There is the potential for gusts of 60-80 mph quite widely and locally over 80 mph, especially on exposed coasts, both in southwesterly winds ahead of the low centre and west to northwesterly winds behind it.

This warning will be updated Saturday morning.

post-10773-0-61053600-1382709181_thumb.p

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=uk&from=rss&sn=D474B0A1-4760-C5E9-B041-E9B2C701484F_3_SE&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1382918400

p.s. other Supermarkets/offers are available Posted Image

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 3

Posted

Posted Image

nicked from possible storm discussion posted by coast this is from matt hugo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I remember March 2008 because it happened to be the day I went to Winchelsea to a financial adviser to try and salvage my financial situation from the break up of my self employed business and the loss of my house!! It makes it easy to remember!Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Posted Image

nicked from possible storm discussion posted by coast this is from matt hugo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's actually from the MetO, but Matt and Ian Fregusson have been tweeting it.

https://twitter.com/fergieweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I don't really remember any other bad storms, other than the one in Oct 1987 and then there was another one in Jan 1990 (I think?) 

I do remember other windy days - just none that stand out like the above two for damage and destruction!

There was one more, Hurricane Charlie Aug 1986. I was at the Cheda Caves for that one. I don't think mum took note of the weather for that trip. One hell of a scary day.

• Like 2

Posted

I remember March 2008 because it happened to be the day I went to Winchelsea to a financial adviser to try and salvage my financial situation from the break up of my self employed business and the loss of my house!! It makes it easy to remember!Posted Image

I think I only remember the storms in 1987 and 1990 because the one in '87 we got the day off school! (think the day after the storm was a Friday?) 

And in 1990, we got sent home early from school - I remember an old lady being pushed over due to the force of the wind and the roof of the school canteen being blown off!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Yes.....I remember 1990. In York we had some thunder and then the wind. At the hospital where I worked, a 200 year old tree (as old as the building) blew down right across the main road. Didn't the actor from Allo Allo get a whack on the head that time?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

Afternoon all :) I hope everyone is good, I haven't posted for ages!

All eyes to Monday. I have to say it's looking rather concerning. Obviously I'm really excited about it but also worried. Back in 87' (sorry ha) it was all about the excitement and as I was only a wee one I didn't have the worry and trouble of cleaning up the devestation it caused. Now I'm a big girl I'm actually worrying about the house etc. I live on te edge of a park and there are lots of trees on my doorstep. They're in full leaf and already swaying with the light winds today. God only knows what they'd be like in an 80mph gust?!

I've been following everything here closely and giving friends and family the heads up. Some people are so blasé about it though and scoff at the idea of it being anything more than a storm in a teacup. One can only hope that if come Monday things are flying past their windows they actually take heed and stay in until it's blown over.

I've got my candles ready, books, sweets and blankets so we should be alright :)

• Like 8

Posted

Yes.....I remember 1990. In York we had some thunder and then the wind. At the hospital where I worked, a 200 year old tree (as old as the building) blew down right across the main road. Didn't the actor from Allo Allo get a whack on the head that time?

Gordon Kaye:

Kaye suffered serious head injuries in a car accident during the Burns' Day storm on 25 January 1990. Although he cannot remember any details of the incident, he still has a scar on his forehead from a piece of wooden advertising boarding that smashed through the car windscreen.

While recovering in hospital from emergency brain surgery to treat injuries sustained in the accident,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorden_Kaye

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Anyone in Norfolk remember the windstorm of 2/3 January 1976?

Definitely the first one I remember, even in Essex - actually I'd say one of the three really bad ones I've experienced (Burns Day and 1987 being the other two) Norfolk took the brunt of it in this region.

Winds gusted to 100mph in Norwich (in an older book I have, it says 102mph) and winds were even worse on the North Norfolk Coast. I think it only dropped to the high 960's in pressure too.

There's a small bit about it here, right at the bottom. Posted Image

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/ee/print.html

Edited by Steve C

Posted

I dropped Mr P off at work earlier and the council were out in full force clearing up the leaves in central MK - first thoughts were that it was a pointless exercise as the wind and rain will just bring more down but in hindsight if it stops the drains from blocking it's probably a good idea given the amount of rainfall forecast !

As for the wind all we can do is be prepared and wait and see what happens now ....personally Sunday night I will make sure that the kids and pets are safe indoors, the garden furniture is secure, I have some candles to hand and that our mobile devices are fully charged in case of power outage and that's about it Posted Image

Guest bjaykent

Same here, don't remember windy weather in 2008 or 2009 or any really apart from 1987 and 1990 and some in the second half of the 1970s. My lack of memory after 1990 might also be influenced the preoccupation of having young children to look after as well.

But picking up on Tamara's post I also i don't see any problem in comparing storm events. You will always get comparisons to 1987, after all it set the bar high for those of us who experienced it and probably won't be repeated again in our lifetimes. (sorry Victor I know you are probably sighing again) The origins of this current potential storm and the 1987 storm are both very similar, being remnants of tropical storms interacting with a strong jet, so comparisons are inevitable, what might turn out to be very different is resultant winds and damage we see on Monday, (maybe nothing at all) . But nothing wrong in comparing the two in my book, that's what we do most of the time on here with snow, flooding and heatwave events, comparisons & stats are at the very heart of weather analysis.Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.

I can't seem to upload the image so if someone else could please.

If you look at the Jet stream chart for Friday 2/11  at 186 I'm sure it's an image of some crazy big bird striding over the UK.

But then again I could be wrong……...

Posted

At least with a pooch the size of yours he's not going to blow away....

yep, hes weighing in at 7 stone now :)

just wondering whether to get a double decker bus into work on monday Posted Image  or a train. or just take the day off! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

One other aspect of making comparisons to other storm systems is simply asking "Why not?" Its a discussion thread for weather related material and surely looking at other comparisons to gauge what might happen is entirely relevant and pertinent? Plus it's a chance to learn further by seeing exactly what does happen in reality. So the more folk do this the better, imvhoSteve, I think the winds in this region were at their worst in the afternoon of that March 2008 storm. I remember being close to the seafront at Winchelsea and had to stop driving for a short period as the conditions were too hazardous to go any further. Other drivers did the same

Quite! It's a good way to learn IMHO.I think winds don't have to be 90mph for damage to occur in this case. As others have stated, many trees are still in full leaf and the ground is much wetter than it was a few weeks ago. So 70mph gusts would do a lot of damage to trees, at least.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

I remember the 1987 event, but i was living in a hilltop house with no trees around, in Plymouth. It wasnt a dramatic event to us then, just stormy - i was amazed to see the devastation in the South East on the telly.

Looks like its time to check for loose roof slates and move the cars from harm's way. Shame the garage is too small to actually fit a car into...if I want to open the door to get out that is....

Then on Sunday night go out for a good strong curry as an analogy with the windy weather :)

• Like 1

Posted

I remember the 1987 event, but i was living in a hilltop house with no trees around, in Plymouth. It wasnt a dramatic event to us then, just stormy - i was amazed to see the devastation in the South East on the telly.

Looks like its time to check for loose roof slates and move the cars from harm's way. Shame the garage is too small to actually fit a car into...if I want to open the door to get out that is....

Then on Sunday night go out for a good strong curry as an analogy with the windy weather Posted Image

Does anyone keep cars in their garage?! Ours is chocka full of junk and I think it will have a few plant pots and garden ornaments added to it this weekend!

• Like 2

Posted

Quite! It's a good way to learn IMHO.I think winds don't have to be 90mph for damage to occur in this case. As others have stated, many trees are still in full leaf and the ground is much wetter than it was a few weeks ago. So 70mph gusts would do a lot of damage to trees, at least.

Not to mention that it has been quite windy over the past few days factored in with the wet weather we have had, let's just say that it may have loosened tree roots and paving the way for the potential storm, you're right in thinking it will not take much to cause severe disruption.
  • Like 2

Posted

just wondering whether to get a double decker bus into work on monday Posted Image  or a train. or just take the day off! Posted Image

I'd take the day off if you possibly can  Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Afternoon all

Have a whole weekend off and plan to abuse it :)

After a damp start it turned dry and even sunny for a while, but has since become more cloudy and breezy.  Quite mild though, 16.7oC right now.

Posted

Not to mention that it has been quite windy over the past few days factored in with the wet weather we have had, let's just say that it may have loosened tree roots and paving the way for the potential storm, you're right in thinking it will not take much to cause severe disruption.

Actually following the local travel news round here we have had a few trees down over the past couple of days. Lord only knows how many will get blown down Monday 'if' we get what they are predicting.

• Like 1

Posted

Afternoon all

Have a whole weekend off and plan to abuse it 

Putting garden furniture and wheelie bins away and propping up dodgy fences? :unsure: 

• Like 6