Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/10/13 ------------>

Methuselah

Posted

No... But then are any of us 'normal' in here ?Just hope the timing is early hours of Monday and the worst of it hits before 6am when most people are in bed

Would prefer daylight hours anyday -  got a large oak tree in full leaf  right next to the bedroom, every crack/creak it makes will be magnified at night !

• Like 1

Posted

Please not another 'London Bridge' Monday morning like the one we had this week! Posted Image)

Fortunately that's not the company i work for. But if things stay on track and on course i can see a lot of travel problems monday morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Would prefer daylight hours anyday -  got a large oak tree in full leaf  right next to the bedroom, every crack/creak it makes will be magnified at night !

Yikes!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

I've got a silver birch in mine, quite an old one I think, but just in case I might have my daughter sleep elsewhere incase it decides to go through her bedroom window.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. Weeeelllllll....should I be putting brown tape on the windows like in the war? Failing that....a mattress or two. :-) In answer to the above about getting excited......yes, I am getting excited about possible extreme winds. I love them and I was always sorry I missed the 1987 event. Yup...I know it's very destructive, but that is what makes it exciting IMO.

Hope you all have a brilliant Friday and I hope you get the weather you desire. And take care. :-)

Oh, it's dull and breezy in Ippy. And....I am moving to Ippy after Christmas hopefully.

• Like 4

Posted

I've got a silver birch in mine, quite an old one I think, but just in case I might have my daughter sleep elsewhere incase it decides to go through her bedroom window.

This doesn't help either ! Re 1987 storm

"The storm caused substantial damage over much of England, downing an estimated 15 million trees[11] (including six of the seven famous oak trees in Sevenoaks,["

Posted

I don't think we should be drawing any comparisons just yet......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Morning all. Having lived through the 1987 storm I'm strangely drawn to this upcoming event.

In 1987 as I recall, the trees were still in full leaf as they are now, this of course just amplified the effect of the wind. It was the mature Oaks in my area that suffered the most due to their shallow root systems. On the other hand, Elm and Beech trees were largely unaffected.

Now I live in a mostly Beech populated area I'm still not going to be taking any chances with where I park my car Sunday night.

I see the pressure is now falling. Started off at 1003 mbs this morning now at 999 mbs.

Stay safe.

• Like 1

Posted

Issued at: 

1117 on Fri 25 Oct 2013

Valid from: 
0005 on Mon 28 Oct 2013

Valid to: 
2100 on Mon 28 Oct 2013

A very intense low pressure system is forecast to run northeastwards across the country early on Monday, bringing the potential for an exceptionally windy spell of weather for southern parts of the UK. At the same time, persistent, heavy rain could cause some surface water flooding.  

There is some continuing uncertainty in the timing, intensity and track of the low. However, the public should be prepared for the risk of falling trees as well as damage to buildings and other structures, bringing disruption to transport and power supplies.

A developing storm is expected to reach the UK later on Sunday. This is expected to run northeastwards, probably across England and Wales, with very strong winds on its southern and western flanks. There is the potential for gusts of 60-80 mph quite widely and locally over 80 mph, especially on exposed coasts, both in southwesterly winds ahead of the low centre and west to northwesterly winds behind it.
This warning will be updated Saturday morning.

Brighton and Hove, East Sussex, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Portsmouth, Southampton, Surrey, West Sussex, Oxfordshire, West Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Bracknell Forest, Greater London, Milton Keynes, Reading, Slough, Windsor and Maidenhead, Wokingham, Medway

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=se&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1382918400

Edited by Coast

Posted

post-11059-0-71139800-1382697044_thumb.p

Wow!!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Posted ImageAmber.png

Wow!!

Do you think they have extended the amber warning due to the uncertainty of the track of the low?

Posted

Do you think they have extended the amber warning due to the uncertainty of the track of the low?

Maybe they are more certain now?

• Like 3

Posted

Possibly. Tbh it would be foolhardy of them to really underplay. This suggests that they think the track is heading a bit further north, with a more intense storm, to me.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

"The storm caused substantial damage over much of England, downing an estimated 15 million trees[11] (including six of the seven famous oak trees in Sevenoaks,["

At the moment the exact track of the strongest winds continues to vary across each forecasting model run, but gusts of up to 80mph are possible across South-Western, Central Southern and South-Eastern England. The wind speeds could be high enough to cause structural damage, uproot trees, and cause significant issues for high-sided vehicles. Hopefully we won't see anything like the damage to trees and property that there was back then, not to mention the loss of life !

Posted

Interesting they have just emailed me both the amber and yellow warnings

panic stations nearly. If these remain in force tomorrow then panic

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

I think i had better get some batteries in my torches. Candles ready and some reading material.....

As my house backs onto a conservation area where the airfield used to be my conservatory is going to get pummled by the wind. The good point is that there are no major trees close to my house in this area. the bad point is that there are no trees near my house to slow the wind...

Im also getting quite excited about this, but I am also genuinely worried about how this modern (built 10 years ago or so) house will fare in these winds. During the 87 storm (I dont think this will compare) but i was living in Southend in a house bullt in the 1800's, it was a tough house but we still lost lots of roof.....

Do you think i should not park the car near the house? Worried about tiles falling off....

Posted

aaalllll i gonna say is oooo my god

No evidence anywhere yet that is backing down and sustained winds of 60 mph with gusts just over 80 mph down here on the Kent and Sussex coasts are not conducive to a good start to the working week.  Time to play the 'St Jude' theme tune I reckon:

http://youtu.be/rhZLV4tNRm4

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

At the moment the exact track of the strongest winds continues to vary across each forecasting model run, but gusts of up to 80mph are possible across South-Western, Central Southern and South-Eastern England. The wind speeds could be high enough to cause structural damage, uproot trees, and cause significant issues for high-sided vehicles. Hopefully we won't see anything like the damage to trees and property that there was back then, not to mention the loss of life !

There has been plenty of warning this time, so hopefully if it is anywhere near as intense people listen and stay off the roads and indoors. Otherwise we could be in serious trouble. I've still got my fingers crossed that the warnings are precautionary and the storm is just another gale.

• Like 2

Posted

Do you think i should not park the car near the house? Worried about tiles falling off....

I have the same concern next door have built an extension over the attached garages and the tiles are already loose. Trying to work out where to put the car away from all the trees and fences around here though Posted Image