Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/10/13 ------------>

Methuselah

Posted

Driving on the M20 Monday morning 7.30am to collect mum from literally on the beach front home at Greatstone, back up to Ashford hospital then drop her back  home, then back on the M20 to London doesn't seem like a good idea.

I think I'll cancel her minor operation on Monday. That motorway is full of high sided left hand drive lorries at the best of times, don't fancy it with wind and rain too.Must make sure the carers have a plan if they can't get to her. 

Please check on your elderly neighbours if there's a black out etc

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

So a stormy monday to come, how windy still up for debate but heavy rain is now almost a certainty. Here are some HR charts for Monday showing Rainfall. Wind gusts & Pressure. 

Posted ImageMON STORM RAIN 1.gif Posted Imagemon storm rain 2.gif Posted ImageMON STORM 3.gif

Posted ImageMON STORM 1.gif Posted Imagemon storm 2.gif Posted ImageMON STORM 3.gif

Posted Imagepressure reading 1.gif Posted ImagePRESSURE READING 2.gif Posted ImagePRESSURE 3.gif

I don't like this, my little corner down here gets hammered.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Trend from the models this evening seems to be to move the low a little further north - more so from EC and UKMO, so we're not out the woods yet.

If I wasn't working, I would head down to Newhaven harbour, once the worst has passed, to watch the waves crash against the sea wall with the lighthouse - have caught some good crashing wave shots there one very windy March day about 6 years ago.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted

Trend from the models this evening seems to be to move the low a little further north - more so from EC and UKMO, so we're not out the woods yet.

If I wasn't working, I would head down to Newhaven harbour, once the worst has passed, to watch the waves crash against the sea wall with the lighthouse - have caught some good crashing wave shots there one very windy March day about 6 years ago.

If anyone wants to watch the waves on their computer, safe in their nice warm home, here is a good webcam. This is a new cam this year.

http://www.bognorregisbeach.co.uk/live

You will hear any high winds too.

Posted

If anyone wants to watch the waves on their computer, safe in their nice warm home, here is a good webcam. This is a new cam this year.

http://www.bognorregisbeach.co.uk/live

You will hear any high winds too.

Hmmm, perhaps a more sensible idea than negotiating closed roads and then getting washed away at Newhaven!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Evening all

Shattered after a long day in Nottingham.

Let's hope that low decides to do one.

Guest bjaykent

We do this every year!!!!!!!

Sigh

Hi Victor, contingency plans never do any harm, if you don't need them all well and good. Just think if you had had a contingency plan all those years ago not to stand on the side of busy roads we might all have been saved from having to watch that terrible 'Merlin' SeriesPosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way

Evening all, just come back to forum (earlier than my usual Build up to Snow) after hearing from lady in co-op there is a storm on its way!  I rushed home and logged in after many months.  I've had a quick look to see what the truth is, as obviously the 'truth' is only on this forum!!  Can someone just clarify that the storm threat isn't just a James Madden 'Story'.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Hi Victor, contingency plans never do any harm, if you don't need them all well and good. Just think if you had had a contingency plan all those years ago not to stand on the side of busy roads we might all have been saved from having to watch that terrible 'Merlin' SeriesPosted Image

What?!?! How dare you diss the Merlin series

:p :p :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Can someone just clarify that the storm threat isn't just a James Madden 'Story'.

A deepening Atlantic storm is looking very likely, but the tracking and intensity are still looking uncertain, and this is likely to be the case until Saturday at least.The GFS 12Z afternoon forecast predicts the storm to take a slightly more Northerly tracking than the morning forecast. This results in a more extensive and damaging wind swathe closer to Southern Britain. The worse winds in this scenario would be across coastal Southern England and many parts of the South East as the storm system exits.post-10773-0-11473200-1382649277_thumb.j
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

will anyone tape the windows or is that overkill?

Definitely overkill at the mo. Posted Image
  • Like 2

Posted

No I won't be taping up my windows - but I'll be in the cupboard under the stairs if it's really bad. ..... it's the safest part of the house (and that's where I've stashed the Christmas quality street and bottle of Baileys)
  • Like 8

Posted

The Top right you mention has the low at 962mb, that is a nasty depression if it gets to that pressure, everywhere south of the Humber will have gales or stronger winds, not a day to take up sailing

flood warnings may come into play for the south east by sunday

with the ground saturated that will not help what comes next

ukmo raw fax

Posted Image

look at top right

i wish this was 6 hours earlier

update the rest when the updated fax charts come out

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather

Posted

I reckon overkill Posted Image . Didn't tape ours during '87 storm (we never knew it was coming anyway) and nothing blew in, mind you, our house was sheltered and I did see lofts open to the air later that morning. No, no need to tape anything but ones mouth to stop the screams. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Yep, sort of forces you to watch the updates to see the latest track, latest intensity forecast etc, I don't know about you, I don't want it to damage anything or hurt anyone, but I'd love to experience it. 

How stupid is that???

It's definitely irrational. Tbh a stone cold sober (which I'm not at the moment) assessment would say don't worry too much for another 60 hours or so, as these things can downgrade. However they do happen occasionally, so this 46 year old has a childlike excitement!. Posted Image
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers /snowy winters

I am on a hill in a caravan in Hastings Fri/Sat/Sun & Mon ! Posted Image

Good luck !!!

• Like 4

Posted

I'm sorry. I just don't know what to say.  Posted Image

Actually, you'll still likely be okay. We're still a long way out from the event. Posted Image

Posted

Posted Image

i knew this would happen

i need a 90 fax chart as the storm has already passed

bugger

maybe better tomorrow night when the ukmo charts are in range

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

I live in a house on a (small) hill facing the sea in Hastings!!Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Driving on the M20 Monday morning 7.30am to collect mum from literally on the beach front home at Greatstone, back up to Ashford hospital then drop her back  home, then back on the M20 to London doesn't seem like a good idea.

I think I'll cancel her minor operation on Monday. That motorway is full of high sided left hand drive lorries at the best of times, don't fancy it with wind and rain too.Must make sure the carers have a plan if they can't get to her. 

Please check on your elderly neighbours if there's a black out etc

Very sensible. And do check on your elderly neighbours. I'm thinking of offering mine the services of our trusty Aga to cook casseroles etc. if the power is down. When my parents first moved home to the UK in the early 1950s (stupid move) they got an Aga purely because there were frequent power cuts.

• Like 3

Posted

I'm sorry. I just don't know what to say.  Posted Image

Actually, you'll still likely be okay. We're still a long way out from the event. Posted Image

I'm sure as Steve says you will be okay - well certainly on Friday, Saturday and Sunday but you might be at the bottom of the hill by Monday - just stay safe and if it looks like it's going to be risky leave a day early if you have to !

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

My friends roof blew completely blew off in 1997 .

I remember it well.

She told me how her dad grabbed her from her bed and they got downstairs just in time was awful.

Mind you we had 100 mph gusts then .

The same gust that took the side of the house down 200 yards away from her house.

Hope this does not happen as interesting as it may be .

I do Remeber also seeing over the roads green house fly over there car and wall and settle in the middle of our cul de sac.

I also got a day off school as it was closed .

• Like 2