Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 23/10/13 ------------>

Methuselah

Posted

Yes I had just moved here, although Mum's childhood 'neighbour' was the one and only Mr Fish, when she lived in Old Town.

Terrible damage to the town and countryside around here then as you know, I was in Old Town too, over looking the DGH and my 3 miles drive to work took 3 hours.

Right, back later as it is cooling down outthere now and want to sort the car windows out.

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Terrible damage to the town and countryside around here then as you know, I was in Old Town too, over looking the DGH and my 3 miles drive to work took 3 hours.

Posted Image

That's not 6' 5", 300lb Jack Reacher, as played by a Hollywood midget, is it, Robin?Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

i am a bit worried

No need to worry at this stage, but keep an eye in here and here http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78257-possible-severe-storm-monday-28th-october-2013  during the weekend and just make sure everything in the garden is put away or tied down - that's as much as you can do and it may come to nothing much anyway.

• Like 2

Posted

No need to worry at this stage, but keep an eye in here and here http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/78257-possible-severe-storm-monday-28th-october-2013  during the weekend and just make sure everything in the garden is put away or tied down - that's as much as you can do and it may come to nothing much anyway.

i will keep a close eye on this forum that's for surePosted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Yes, that always needs to be borne in mind, until quite close to the event, in these situations. Just be aware a.t.m. It could still be a damp squib.  Posted Image

I am getting addicted to watching the model run updates though! Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

got that horrible feeling that this little beast on Monday will track further North.. putting most of East Anglia in the middle of the zone, and with the beast deepening as it leaves the coast the could be a real sting in its tail for the East and North of our region.. the Western flank of the storm could be worse than the Souther flank!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Posted Image

Well that would solve the problem with the windows misting up, but think I will stick to my idea for now.

i am a bit worried

Me too, in 87 we lost a fence, CB aerial, stable roof and a few trees (along with skirting brought for a refurb job at the time), but we did gain a whole shed Posted Image

why are they saying to close all internal doors in preparation? what does it do/prevent?

I can only guess it would be to prevent/reduce the risk of pressure/wind damage?

Edited by Jax

Posted

Posted Image

I was only 10 but remember it well! My mum woke us up and we slept downstairs as my parents were worried the chimney would come down. Next doors chimney came down on their car and we lost power for several days. My friend who lived on a farm inland lost power for several weeks and was unable to come to school as they had to clear the lanes to get into town.

I got some pics scanned on of the local damage somewhere..if I find them I'll add them as a reminder of why we don't want a storm as severe as '87!

Posted

Good evening one and all, hope eveyone has had a good day.  It got off to a very chilly start here with 3.3c being the starting point Posted Image .....compared to recent nights at least. Once the sun got to work though we achieved a very reasonable 17.8c, feeling very pleasant in light winds.

Interesting times ahead though possibly, and I think it's sensible of the Met Office to make folk aware of the potential, regardless of the fact that the situation will invariably change as it evolves. A decent Autumn storm can be a thing of beauty in it's own right, but it pays to keep up to date with the latest information which is widely available these days. Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary, except extreme heat

hi everyone! I was planning to go to Fright Night at Thorpe Park on Monday..... guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. could be in for a different sort of scary experience?

• Like 1

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Posted Image

Coast, I might be wrong but I seem to remember Paradise Drive being closed for weeks after the 87 storm. Couldn't believe the devastation when I tried to walk up there.

• Like 1

Posted

hi everyone! I was planning to go to Fright Night at Thorpe Park on Monday..... guess we'll have to wait and see what happens. could be in for a different sort of scary experience?

Have wind up hand torches already along with a few candles ( I like to keep a few of them burning anyway as it is relaxing along with the incense and oil burners ) will also stock up on milk and maybe get a few cans of beer in ready for the 'possible' event as I am all electric here, have a book to read too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

I know I wheel this out every time there's potential for a Wild and Windy episode, but it's a handy way to check out the gusts near you... worth a bookmark if, like me you'll be up watching to see what unfolds... http://www.xcweather.co.uk

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

why are they saying to close all internal doors in preparation? what does it do/prevent?

Sometimes wind can suck doors shut due to pressure changes.

Posted

Coast, I might be wrong but I seem to remember Paradise Drive being closed for weeks after the 87 storm. Couldn't believe the devastation when I tried to walk up there.

Yes it was closed for some time :( The new trees are only just now starting to get a decent height!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

this is the worse case scenario Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

No thankyou, I should have stayed in croydon, the worst of this so far seems to be over the Kent tip where I'm at.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

I think a day off will have to be booked if the charts continue showing this to be "on target" for monday, with my line of work i do NOT fancy being out in it! :O