Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion - 22nd October onwards 2013

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

The lightning in the distance to the southeast has died down dramaticly now and there is only the occassional faint flash.

It was very pretty to look at though, I couldn't here any thunder as it was all too far away but the lightning had an orange colour and you could see it in the clouds.

Is there a chance of more lightning later like this or is that it?

Depends how that nice batch to the SW of the UK acts as it makes landfall later tonight/early hours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Something needs to happen. Soon..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fire tornado

Just been up to my vantage point on the tallest point in my town, Had a great lightning display for over an hour towards milton keynes way! Anyone here in MK get anything? was well impressed to see the sky so active at this time of year :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Nothing here in brentford west London, bar a distant flash. Hard to make out thunder with planes rumbling away above us. Had some heavy rain and gusty winds.

Posted

Saw a decent amount of distant lightning to the west as it approached, it got less frequent when it got closer though, then briefly became a bit more frequent to the west followed by thunder but not too loud, higher up perhaps.

Lightning mostly died as it came overhead though, torrential rain for 5 minutes with one flash then one close flash just after, lightning a few secs after thunder. A few more distant flashes since but died off now.

I wonder if some kind of round 2 can come from Portsmouth way?

Also I noticed cells that passed over Portsmouth/Hayling Island not too long ago looked similar to some on Sunday morning.. would be strange if they had 2 tornadoes in two days..

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

First thunder heard to west at 20:21. Clear sky overhead and to N.E. Lightning first seen 20:25 followed by closer thunder at 20:27. Clear sky, stars and several aircraft lights (looking like they had flown through the Cb)to N.E.with sky filling in.

4 quite bright flashes, 3 without thunder, to west between 20:28~20:34, the 20:34 flash followed by fairly loud thunder and sudden heavy rain. Also, fairly windy (15~20 mph) after a less breezy period earlier in evening.

Bright lightning with lovely loud thunder and booming vibration felt in window ledge at 20:38. Rain eases at 20:45 with about 5.0 mm so far.

Less thunder to follow with rumbles at 20:47, 21:15, 21:30 & 21:36. Rain is increasing as I write 21:37.

Surprised the Met-Office and other lightning detectors are not showing MANY more discharges. This event is by far the best for duration and amount of thunder in Guildford this year! More than our usual one-rumble affairs.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

hmm, the trough moving into the SW approaches does seem to be fragmenting and weakening somewhat with only sporadic sferic detections over the past hour or so.....a question of waiting and seeing and keeping lots of fingers and toes crossed

Posted

rumbles and heavy rain here . bbc all of a sudden showing storms and saying some intense storms all throught the night ! i wasnt expecting that but it has been so warm

Posted

Not surprising. The ingredients are there + the shear power of the jet blasting the UK at the mo.

As for the current weather - heavy rain, but no rumbles/lightning (although that said, someone I know in town says they've heard rumbles in the last hour). Must be very localised.

Edited by Dan the Man

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

A throughly interesting and rather entertaining evening. Saw some flashes of lightning at 7pm. Then at 7:30pm we has rumbles of thunder and cloud to cloud lightning. Torrential rain followed for 15 minutes before stopping around 8pm. At around 8:30 after a brief lull and dry interval it started raining again with thunder rumbling overhead and we had lightning showing to the East for a good 30 minutes after. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Just had a spot of brief but intense rain so far. A few distant flashes observed, but looks like it has decayed on arrival sadly! 

Ah well. Glad quite a few people got justice, and I really hope The Channel perks those storms up in summer like what it did tonight! 

Back in the 90's it must have done that to some extent. If only we had the diurnal heating in place too.... 

• Like 1

Posted

again heavy intense thundery showers squally winds. anywhere uk ! some people already reporting heavy storms near coast. pouring down in central london!

Edited by biddie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Lovely light show tonight from 2 close but separate cells. The more northerly was very active, lightning flashes every 5-10 seconds for a good 20 minute period. Some short-lived but very heavy rain as the squall line went through. 2nd decent storm in one week...in late Oct. Beats anything this area has seen all summer!

• Like 3

Posted

The scene at Fratton Park tonight, where the Portsmouth vs Wycombe match had to be abandoned due to the intensity of the rain:

post-13544-0-77135200-1382475721_thumb.j

Bish

• Like 9

Posted

Just chatted with @metoffice re tonight. Anticipate possible squall-line organisation features from amorphous mass to SW; will watch closely

Edited by Mark N
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Urm well, I cant quite believe what have just witnessed here on the Isle of Wight! That has got to be the best thunderstorm if not the 2nd best thunderstorm I have ever seen! And it lasted a good 3 or so hours! It was literally like a light switch outside, Lightning ever 1 seconds to 4 seconds at the most for the first 2 hours, it was all around us, just not know which way to look! Last hour it had calmed, the hunder bu not much, every 20-30 seconds, and then eventually passed through.

The rain and wind along with it was just mind blowing, several places flooded aswell! 

Truly amazing storm,really will be a day to remeber!

• Like 9

Posted

The scene at Fratton Park tonight, where the Portsmouth vs Wycombe match had to be abandoned due to the intensity of the rain:

Posted ImageBXNQIaJIUAAzOAB.jpg

Bish

Looks similar to the Poland vs England game last year that also got postponed in the end.

Edited by Mark N
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

Best storm of the year tonight in Reading. Lots of high sheet lightning going off in all directions and a few cracking cg and crawlers to boot. Hoping we may get a second round later tonight, currently hammering it down again now. 

• Like 3

Posted

Just come back from watching some of the lightning in the distance. Whilst on the hill I noticed that the low level jet is really windy tonight and also quite warm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Urm well, I cant quite believe what have just witnessed here on the Isle of Wight! That has got to be the best thunderstorm if not the 2nd best thunderstorm I have ever seen! And it lasted a good 3 or so hours! It was literally like a light switch outside, Lightning ever 1 seconds to 4 seconds at the most for the first 2 hours, it was all around us, just not know which way to look! Last hour it had calmed, the hunder bu not much, every 20-30 seconds, and then eventually passed through.

The rain and wind along with it was just mind blowing, several places flooded aswell! 

Truly amazing storm,really will be a day to remeber!

Wish I was down there! June 7th saw a cracker when I was there luckily! Heard there was flash flooding in Fareham area.

• Like 1

Posted

Best storm of the year tonight in Reading. Lots of high sheet lightning going off in all directions and a few cracking cg and crawlers to boot. Hoping we may get a second round later tonight, currently hammering it down again now. 

funny 30 miles north nothing

Posted

A cell to SW of Oxford is closing in, not as big as earlier but still some dark echoes on the radar with it.