Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest Temperature record for Winter 2013/14

Barry12

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Not sure what the lowest is at the moment? Strange how everyone seems to suggest that the coldest will come from the Scottish highlands,hasnt England taken the last  two coldest winter temps?

Posted

Not sure what the lowest is at the moment? Strange how everyone seems to suggest that the coldest will come from the Scottish highlands,hasnt England taken the last  two coldest winter temps?

If it has then it's more an exception than rule.

Posted

Lowest of this Winter according to met office readings has been Braemar which recorded -8.1 C and tyndrum which recorded -7.7. Still weird to see no minus double digits for highlands.

Edited by boywonder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Only 1 winter since 1900 has recorded a lowest minimum higher than -10c and that was 1989/90.

Posted

Only 1 winter since 1900 has recorded a lowest minimum higher than -10c and that was 1989/90.

Indeed and that was -8.4C, so we've yet to beat it. 

Posted

Lowest of this Winter according to met office readings has been Braemar which recorded -8.1 C and tyndrum which recorded -7.7. Still weird to see no minus double digits for highlands.

The reason for the lack of deep cold has been the absence of snow cover combined with clear skies. However, if we do manage to see a decent snow cover coinciding with a calm clear night, temps should easily get down below -10 degrees in the Highlands. There is strong possibility somewhere in the Highlands will go below -10 degrees next week, if we see a clear calm night, as snow will most likely fall to Highland valley levels 200-350m.

February quite often delivers the coldest night of the year and March can pack a wintry cold punch. Early March 2001 brought temps of -21 degrees in the Highlands under a northerly airstream. Never discount how cold a northerly in March can be! This year any northerly would be extra cold- thanks to the very cold uppers over the arctic.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

The reason for the lack of deep cold has been the absence of snow cover combined with clear skies. However, if we do manage to see a decent snow cover coinciding with a calm clear night, temps should easily get down below -10 degrees in the Highlands. There is strong possibility somewhere in the Highlands will go below -10 degrees next week, if we see a clear calm night, as snow will most likely fall to Highland valley levels 200-350m.

February quite often delivers the coldest night of the year and March can pack a wintry cold punch. Early March 2001 brought temps of -21 degrees in the Highlands under a northerly airstream. Never discount how cold a northerly in March can be! This year any northerly would be extra cold- thanks to the very cold uppers over the arctic.

The latest coldest day of the year was 20th march 1930,and strangely 1931,1932and 1934 were all march days as the coldest temp of the year!

Posted

The latest coldest day of the year was 20th march 1930,and strangely 1931,1932and 1934 were all march days as the coldest temp of the year!

Since 1910 March has recorded the coldest night of the year on 16 occasions. March 3rd has 5 alone, joint second with Feb 14th and second to only Dec 30th, with 6.It's quite extraordinary to think that March 2001 recorded a temperature lower than anything during December 2010! When you factor in that the coldest recorded March temperature occurred on the 14th (-22.8C) it's apparent we still have plenty of time left for a solid cold spell. Edited by March Blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

I think without question most inland valley's across Britain (most especially England and Scotland) can record sub -20c in Winter and early Spring.

Newport in Shropshire recorded England's coldest ever temp at -26.1c so not much different than Scotland's record in Altnaharra and Braemar of -27.2c, it wouldn't surprise me if somewhere in England has got down to -30c like it has rumoured in Scotland too. 

Even here not a million miles from Manchester city centre I got near to -18c in January 2010 with a foot of snow on the ground and clear skies one morning.

Edited by Gaz1985
  • Like 1

Posted

That was January 7th, Gaz. I remember it well, it happened in Woodford just a few miles from me. The temperature was still about -12C at midday and only rose to about -8C despite it being a very clear, bright day. I even remember being slightly disappointed that the next night "only" managed -17C!

It was probably the best little wintry spell I've experienced here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry/mild/warm/sunny/high pressure/no snow/no rain

That was January 7th, Gaz. I remember it well, it happened in Woodford just a few miles from me. The temperature was still about -12C at midday and only rose to about -8C despite it being a very clear, bright day. I even remember being slightly disappointed that the next night "only" managed -17C!It was probably the best little wintry spell I've experienced here.

Granada reports about the snowfall a couple days before those very low temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Wasn't that -21C figure recorded in modern-day Greater London, but before urbanistation? I think the chances of it being broken are extremely slim as to be nonexistent.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Wasn't that -21C figure recorded in modern-day Greater London, but before urbanistation? I think the chances of it being broken are extremely slim as to be nonexistent.

Yeah very long time ago, I guess that you'd need -20*C uppers at 850hpa and clear skies, no wind and December 2010 style snowfall.