Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
GulberwickWeather

Forum access question

Hi I have a question relating to the ability of forum moderators in general (not on here I hasten to add but I suspect it may have happened elsewhere recently). Do they have the ability or the privileges to access private messages etc and is there any way to establish that, i.e. is there some sort of widget which will tell you if it is happening?

No, not at all Coastie - the system simply doesn't allow it, or even anything approaching it, I would imagine that developers have a sense of ethics Posted Image

Assuming the forum is using the same software as this one, the only way a moderator could view a pm is if someone reported it, there's then an option for the moderator looking at the report to join the conversation but in this instance everyone involved in the conversation would see that they had. 

A server administrator can obviously access all of the databases on a server so it would be possible for them to view everything within those, but it's a. not straight forward, and b. not ethical so I'm sure the vast majority of system admins would only ever access this sort of thing in exceptional circumstances (eg investigating abuse etc).