Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 17th Oct Onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

In reference to the chart from the JMA from A.W.D, it seems the Met office rate the JMA highly.

Ian Fergusson had this to say about JMA in the possible severe storm monday 28th october 2013 thread "V good agreement with UKMO-GM and JMA much more developmental too (a model we rate highly). The consistent theme of UKMO-GM, MOGREPS & sufficient support from EC ENS & other model ensembles was tipping-point for warnings issued today"

Edited by Mark N
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

So sunday night into Monday looks very unsettled and windy to say the least, with potential for some winds in excess of 50-60mph. Here is what the GFS 12Z H.R looks like. Rainfall, Wind gusts and Pressure readings.

Posted ImageMON STORM RAIN 1.gif Posted Imagemon storm rain 2.gif Posted ImageSTORM RAIN 3.gif

Posted ImageMON STORM 1.gif Posted Imagemon storm 2.gif Posted ImageMON STORM 3.gif

Posted Imagepressure reading 1.gif Posted ImagePRESSURE READING 2.gif Posted ImagePRESSURE 3.gif

Good stuff Mark. I hope the timings do change as others have probably already stated, Monday morning rush could be a rush-hour from hell. Posted Image  More especially for the densely populated South and South-east according to the current analysis. A hell of a lot may well change yet! BUT we have been warned. Stay safe folk. I think I'll be glued to these pages for the run-up now, I feel.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Well one thing's for sure, we get plenty of advance warning and for the south especially it's a case of batten down the hatches because sunday night and monday look like being very wild..I hope everyone stays safe. :- )

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Posted Imagegm-recent-continuity.jpgWorth noting that 10 of 23 MOGREPS (12z) members don't go for the rapid deepening / explosive cyclogenesis as progged in various DET model runs currently. Equally, variance on positioning / timing / depth / track of those that do. The key phase (as developing low crosses over to cold side of the PFJ later on Sunday and explosively deepens) is clearly critical in model handling, but there's certainly no 'done deal' in outcome albeit 3-run continuity of the UKMO-GM (see attached) has, at least, been very consistent. A forecasting and public warning/message nightmare and full kudos to my colleagues at Exeter for having to be at the coalface of it all...(especially when idiots keep batting-on about 'that' storm of 1987, forgetting the major overhauls at UKMO - let alone advances in our broader scientific knowledge and associated forecasting technology - that have followed it)!

So misquoted too, Michael Fish et al didn't miss the storm, the severity was just that bit more extreme than predicted.

Re the storm this Sunday / Monday....it's one of those 'last minute' deals where the severity/or not may not be known until its almost right upon us.

JMA certainly wants it, the ECM does but the meteociel 12 hr slot shows just before and then leaving but I suspect it would be similar to JMA.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

It also appears that there are a number of the 12z ECM ensemble suite who don't go for the intense bombing low scenario either. If anything there are more of them than this morning - although they are still less than half.

Posted Image

The threat of ugly weather has, overall, gone up a gear this evening there is no doubt and is a worry - and the JMA model further adds to that concern. However, no definitive conclusions can be taken yet by any means. On that basis the provisional consensus I mentioned earlier , remains just that, nothing further, and subject to change

Edited by Tamara תָּמָר
  • Like 5

Posted

Posted Imagegm-recent-continuity.jpgWorth noting that 10 of 23 MOGREPS (12z) members don't go for the rapid deepening / explosive cyclogenesis as progged in various DET model runs currently. Equally, variance on positioning / timing / depth / track of those that do. The key phase (as developing low crosses over to cold side of the PFJ later on Sunday and explosively deepens) is clearly critical in model handling, but there's certainly no 'done deal' in outcome albeit 3-run continuity of the UKMO-GM (see attached) has, at least, been very consistent. A forecasting and public warning/message nightmare and full kudos to my colleagues at Exeter for having to be at the coalface of it all...(especially when idiots keep batting-on about 'that' storm of 1987, forgetting the major overhauls at UKMO - let alone advances in our broader scientific knowledge and associated forecasting technology - that have followed it)!

No more talk from you "Idiots" regarding "That" storm of 1987........ The Met Office has spoken..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

No more talk from you "Idiots" regarding "That" storm of 1987........ The Met Office has spoken..

Always worth remembering that the weather can and often does make us all look like "idiots", pros and non-pros alike. We all know the professionals get things wrong, nobody's interpretation is infalliable as we cannot predict the future with a high degree of certainty. I just "predict a riot" if it goes "pants up" and then the authority slagging off will be let rip. Posted Image

We just need to realise, that we've got some extremely knowledgeable guys n gals on these forums and we best leave all the talk of past mistakes in the appropriate thread.

I'll go back to lurking and learning for now. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

It going to be one of those big events or just a bog standard windy spell

The pub run reduces the intensity of the low

Posted Image

Windy with gales in the south but nothing unusual.

Worth noting whilst the extreme members of the 12z were picked out on here, nearly half the members showed no secondary low crossing the UK at all.

Edited by Captain shortwave
  • Like 1

Posted

The met office do a fantastic job 24-7 and I for one back them all the way, so glad we have top quality expert input on here together with everyone else who make netweather No1 :- )

• Like 1

Posted

very interesting looking at the charts you linked for us Ian-thanks, and be great if you feel able to do that tomorrow and Saturday??

Posted

very interesting looking at the charts you linked for us Ian-thanks, and be great if you feel able to do that tomorrow and Saturday??

Yup. Who knows the shape of it all by then. Hopefully less developmental or way south. A minority solution currently, granted, but there's still time to dodge the bullet.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

Still a lot of uncertainty about the storm but I wouldn't bet against it being as the UKMO charts suggest and I for one think the Met are right to give early warnings while at the same time highlighting the uncertainty. I personally think that the UK has one of the most challenging weather patterns in the world and the Met do a brilliant job of handling some very difficult synoptic patterns at times given that there is 4,000mls of ocean to our West where observations are sparse and this weekend is a case in point.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Virgins

Still a lot of uncertainty about the storm but I wouldn't bet against it being as the UKMO charts suggest and I for one think the Met are right to give early warnings while at the same time highlighting the uncertainty. I personally think that the UK has one of the most challenging weather patterns in the world and the Met do a brilliant job of handling some very difficult synoptic patterns at times given that there is 4,000mls of ocean to our West where observations are sparse and this weekend is a case in point.

Bloody hell gibby, did you need a map to find us?

I thought you were AWOL.

Posted

We missed you Gibby :-) all we need is GP back and all will be well :-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

GFS beginning the normal downgrade progress this morning. Low much less developed and further south. The far south still gets a blow but much less than before.

UKMO may still have it tracking across the country but the time period doesn't show this and the low jumps quite a distance between the time slots.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Morning all. A quick look at the overnight modelling of the potential of the storm on Monday. Charts looking at 1-2am on Monday morning.

GFS-

post-15543-0-76440300-1382679918_thumb.p

UKMO-

post-15543-0-04500100-1382679937_thumb.g

GEM-

post-15543-0-14019700-1382679949_thumb.p

GEFS-

post-15543-0-79093900-1382679958_thumb.p

Edited by Mark N
  • Like 1